Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at our history of premiership coaches...

Malthouse late 90s
Woosh early 10s
Simpson 19-20

first or 2nd week exits and never really in the true flag hunt once in September

Maybe learn from past and bring in a WCE constitution "If you win a flag you have 2 years to win another or you will be removed from role"

Get stale out west

Being very harsh on Malthouse. He got robbed two home semi finals to play essendon 96 and Carlton 99.

Sack Simmo now and get Woosha back for the rest of the year. Do nothing but man on man footy and hard nosed mentoring. I mean it.
its-a-no-its-a-no-from-me.gif

Big Nick was a champion ruckman at 182cm- he destroyed WA at Subi Oval. A Robinson kicked over 154 goals in a season and was my height. (approx 181)

The old era is absolutely irrelevant.

The discussion on height was triggered by the claim that Waterman is too short to be a key forward. The point I was trying to make is that if you compare him to the likes of Dunstall or Lockett, his height isn't an issue... it's his other attributes. IMHO, both of those guys would have still been great forwards in the modern era, because they were strong, fast, great contested marks and smart footballers who knew how to lead. They sure wouldn't have kicked 100 goals a season, but I reckon they would still have been successful.

Waterman has none of those attributes.

Good to see Kane Cornes slamming our strength and conditioning staff, the clubs professionalism and the obesity epidemic our players are suffering from. Voices of big footy only go so far, but mainstream media should be hitting home at HQ

Cornes is a ******* idiot
Controversial opinion - I like Cornes. Come at me campaigners.

I think most of his silly hot takes come from his desire to be a 'shock jock', not necessarily his own personal thoughts/beliefs. He's a product of the haters!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes is a ******* idiot

Kane Cornes was a talentless hack, that managed to get himself to 300 games, win a premiership, four club BnFs and two All Australians. All on the back of hard work. If our squad had a fraction of his work ethic, we wouldn't be 17th.

There are many times that his opinion is worth jack s**t. But in this case, not only is he probably right... but he knows from experience.

I cant see wce sacking simmo. Especially with 3 years (this season included) to go on his salary.

I think his problem he is too loyal to our experienced players. I wonder if what kingy said is correct and when that REBUILD switch is flicked we actually make the harsh calls on older and B GRADE players.

I think hes safe for now.

If we're 1-5 next year with the same ******* midfield with the same lack of defensive accountability but abundant credits then i give up.

I cant see wce sacking simmo. Especially with 3 years (this season included) to go on his salary.

I think his problem he is too loyal to our experienced players. I wonder if what kingy said is correct and when that REBUILD switch is flicked we actually make the harsh calls on older and B GRADE players.

I think hes safe for now.

If we're 1-5 next year with the same ******* midfield with the same lack of defensive accountability but abundant credits then i give up.
Simpson may be loyal to senior players but they are not showing loyalty back e.g. rocking up with love handles, not being able to run out of site on a dark night, not giving a s**t, darling and anti vax stand off etc etc

Jaymie Graham? (if / when Simmo decides its time to go)

How many coaches have stayed and rebuilt a team, after being there for almost 10 years? It generally doesn't happen.

The call needs to be made (hopefully at some point this year), a fresh start is needed

Sheedy the only one I can think of. Clarkson won in 08 and then 3 peat in 13/14/15 so maybe he qualifies. Not a big list however.
Our problem is we are stuck with a 2 year contract the club put in place with Simmo. Wouldn't be any issue to me if we paid him out and let him go as it's chump change to us but not sure how all that fits in this off field spending limits?

Controversial opinion - I like Cornes. Come at me campaigners.

I think most of his silly hot takes come from his desire to be a 'shock jock', not necessarily his own personal thoughts/beliefs. He's a product of the haters!

Like him as well as he tells it as it is instead of telling people what they want to hear. He is offensive to many these days because people hate the truth now.

Kane Cornes was a talentless hack, that managed to get himself to 300 games, win a premiership, four club BnFs and two All Australians. All on the back of hard work. If our squad had a fraction of his work ethic, we wouldn't be 17th.

There are many times that his opinion is worth jack s**t. But in this case, not only is he probably right... but he knows from experience.

Exactly! what we wouldn't give to have a group of players with his attitude to playing. We don't even have one player on our list that does it.

Sheedy the only one I can think of. Clarkson won in 08 and then 3 peat in 13/14/15 so maybe he qualifies. Not a big list however.
Our problem is we are stuck with a 2 year contract the club put in place with Simmo. Wouldn't be any issue to me if we paid him out and let him go as it's chump change to us but not sure how all that fits in this off field spending limits?
I think it is a 100% tax on overspending on the soft cap. If we sack him with two years to go and pay the whole amount (assuming $700k pa) then we go over the salary cap by approx $1.4M (it might be a bit less as a Rookie coach next year would get less than him). We then have to pay another $1.4M as a tax. It would cost approx $3M all up.

Sounds like a lot, but it seems like the club usually makes an extra $1-2M profit when they're playing finals and hitting membership records etc. It might actually cost them more to keep him.

I think it is a 100% tax on overspending on the soft cap. If we sack him with two years to go and pay the whole amount (assuming $700k pa) then we go over the salary cap by approx $1.4M (it might be a bit less as a Rookie coach next year would get less than him). We then have to pay another $1.4M as a tax. It would cost approx $3M all up.

Sounds like a lot, but it seems like the club usually makes an extra $1-2M profit when they're playing finals and hitting membership records etc. It might actually cost them more to keep him.
What happened with Clarkson? Surely its outside the cap I would have thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back