Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep he's worth 3 first rounders, or at least 2 first rounders, with a top 5 within the two picks.

Cameron and Hawkins look great fwd, however our midfield needs an injection of youth, I think we could drop away, our midfield has been cut up by the dons and crows, so was it worth the selling our future, I think no.

What did you think Cameron was worth?

So would we have gotten 5 in the 1st 31 picks without it? You think it's a sales pitch, but it's actually factual. I'm not sure why you've taken umbrage with the comment.
Yeah not a sales pitch at all. It's almost as common to talk about the top 31 as the top 10. I've taken umbrage because it was an atrocious trade dressed up as a good one. I think they were just trying to give a perk up to supporters and save a bit of face in 20202 with the trade, rather than doing what was in the best interests of the club.

Yep he's worth 3 first rounders, or at least 2 first rounders, with a top 5 within the two picks.

Cameron and Hawkins look great fwd, however our midfield needs an injection of youth, I think we could drop away, our midfield has been cut up by the dons and crows, so was it worth the selling our future, I think no.

I think the longer quarters are going to be an issue for you guys. The shorter ones masked your aging and shallow midfield.

He was nothing Special Friday Night.

Nothing that made me say We Badly Missed Him and He would be the Differene in the Game for us
He wasn’t anything special but he didn’t have to be, just played his role.

Had he been on our side we’d actually have a mod that could get his hands on it.

Does anyone know if Treloar ever considered a pay-cut? I don't remember ever hearing that it was a possibility.

Had he been on our side we’d actually have a mod that could get his hands on it.
Total crap, he'd have had as much of out as anyone else. How on earth would he have dominated the bulldogs midfield on Friday?

I think if someone had said halfway through 2020 that Collingwood would trade Treloar, Stephenson and Philips (all contracted players which demand more picks normally) and you didn't get 1 pick in the top 10, people would think your dreaming.
Treloar is worth a first rounder ( top 10 pick)
Stephenson is worth 2 first rounders
Phillips 15-25 pick

So although you still get 5 picks in the top 30, you should have had 2 top 10 picks in my opinion
🤣🤣🤣

Can I have some of your drugs please?

I think if someone had said halfway through 2020 that Collingwood would trade Treloar, Stephenson and Philips (all contracted players which demand more picks normally) and you didn't get 1 pick in the top 10, people would think your dreaming.
Treloar is worth a first rounder ( top 10 pick)
Stephenson is worth 2 first rounders
Phillips 15-25 pick

So although you still get 5 picks in the top 30, you should have had 2 top 10 picks in my opinion
stevo was worth a top 5 pick, lets say pick 5, we got pick 26 for him and a swap from pick 39 to 33 iirc.
treloar is worth a top 10 pick, lets say pick 10, in terms of draft pick points, we got nothing for him.
phillips is worth an early second rounder, eg. pick 27 or something like that, we got pick 65.

phillips became fringe and was on decent money so that trade is pretty normal and acceptable imo even if we got unders. clears up a chunk of cap space for someone who seemingly wasnt best 22 anymore. i dont really have any issues with that trade, we maybe could've gotten more for him but sometimes you gotta take a little hit for the sake of building the list long term with a healthy cap.

the stevo and treloar deals are still an absolute disgrace. will take a lonnnnng time to move on from those ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah not a sales pitch at all. It's almost as common to talk about the top 31 as the top 10. I've taken umbrage because it was an atrocious trade dressed up as a good one. I think they were just trying to give a perk up to supporters and save a bit of face in 20202 with the trade, rather than doing what was in the best interests of the club.

Way too early to label it "atrocious". Need to wait and see how Poulter and McMahon develop before you can even make that call. I was happy with the trade and the draft outcome. There was certainly no guarantee that they'd achieve a better outcome this year if they'd retained it. Could have used it to trade for a player but I much prefer to build via the draft. Especially given the list refresh they wanted. Likely would have had to trade it into 2022 to get use out of it via the draft which means 2 years of developing those taken last year lost and list regeneration deferred. We'll know the merit of it in a few years.

Way too early to label it "atrocious". Need to wait and see how Poulter and McMahon develop before you can even make that call. I was happy with the trade and the draft outcome. There was certainly no guarantee that they'd achieve a better outcome this year if they'd retained it. Could have used it to trade for a player but I much prefer to build via the draft. Especially given the list refresh they wanted. Likely would have had to trade it into 2022 to get use out of it via the draft which means 2 years of developing those taken last year lost and list regeneration deferred. We'll know the merit of it in a few years.
Trade for a player or ontrade into 2023. Had the potential to be turned into a topliner. Hopefully we've fluked it with Poulter and McMahon, but considering that we traded those picks down a few times - I think we were trading for a range and not those two specific players.

Trade for a player or ontrade into 2023. Had the potential to be turned into a topliner. Hopefully we've fluked it with Poulter and McMahon, but considering that we traded those picks down a few times - I think we were trading for a range and not those two specific players.

Trade for a player like Beams, top 10 in the league the year before we traded him back. Or maybe someone like Hogan to Freo. Or Hanneberry.

As I say, I prefer the draft. It'd be traded into 2022 not 2023 but there's no guarantee you'll end up with anything better than we got and you miss 2 years of development. Pre-covid, the 2020 and 2021 drafts were both considered strong drafts. What's the projection for the 2022 draft? As I say, way too early to be making calls like atrocious.

I'll leave it there.

Trade for a player like Beams, top 10 in the league the year before we traded him back. Or maybe someone like Hogan to Freo. Or Hanneberry.

As I say, I prefer the draft. It'd be traded into 2022 not 2023 but there's no guarantee you'll end up with anything better than we got and you miss 2 years of development. Pre-covid, the 2020 and 2021 drafts were both considered strong drafts. What's the projection for the 2022 draft? As I say, way too early to be making calls like atrocious.

I'll leave it there.

I'll stop considering it atrocious when other clubs start valuing future firsts that will probably be top 10, as the equivalent of two picks in the 20s.

No doubt the emotion of Fridays game would have taken a toll on him and he'll have much better games for the Doggies, but his stats mirrored those of last years SF and I thought he had similar impact across both games.

In the era of seemingly 10 mids in the AA side, Treloar will never earn AA selection. That's were he sits, a B grade accumulator (and his stats will fall this year).

Let’s take it as a given that due to salary cap we could not afford a “ player”.

Maybe took the view that poulter and McMahon were likely to drop and he wanted them both .

Maybe getting couple of kids we need and rate now in the 2020 draft will be better than getting one kid in the 2022 draft who might have slightly better prospects of succeeding. And that assuming we are bottom four in 2022 to land a top pick. Season 2023 is a long time away...

Last edited:

Not sure how many of our mod's would have gotten a kick on Friday night?

Let’s take it as a given that due to salary cap we could not afford a “ player”.
I'm hoping we can afford to recruit next year, but unfortunately we won't have the trade chips.

OK, we decided to go the way we did. But how the hell did we not manage to get GWS to throw in sommnne future points as well. That trade was ridiculously good for GWS.

I'm hoping we can afford to recruit next year, but unfortunately we won't have the trade chips.

OK, we decided to go the way we did. But how the hell did we not manage to get GWS to throw in sommnne future points as well. That trade was ridiculously good for GWS.

I believe we got a 2021 fourth round pick as well although I’m no expert in points values of these picks.

We traded a future first round (arguably pick 15 or so based on our finishing position in 2020) .....

......For two players that we were targeting and picked up about 15 positions back

plus a future fourth rounder that can be used to help pay for two academy players.

Sounds a reasonable trade but we won’t know until we see how the 2020 crop develop. Even then we will never know!

Two good players are better than one slightly better player though..., as a general rule

I believe we got a 2021 fourth round pick as well although I’m no expert in points values of these picks.

We traded a future first round (arguably pick 15 or so based on our finishing position in 2020) .....

......For two players that we were targeting and picked up about 15 positions back

plus a future fourth rounder that can be used to help pay for two academy players.

Sounds a reasonable trade but we won’t know until we see how the 2020 crop develop. Even then we will never know!

Two good players are better than one slightly better player though..., as a general rule
You'd have to be predicting it lower than 15. and two picks in mid to late 20s doesn't get you a pick in the first 15 - ever - GWS would have been absolutley stoked. Are you sure we got a round 4 back as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back