Strategy Adelaide's forward structure going forward... what to do with Tex?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex has always been an absolutely magnificent field kick. He also understands where forwards need the ball.

Make him the guy delivering into the forward 50 and watch our young key forwards thrive off it.

I would love a bit of NFL thinking - bring Tex on for the kick-ins. Just imagine lace out 60 metre + 30 metre run-ups, dropping past the middle of the ground to charging half backs and wingers.

Tex has always been an absolutely magnificent field kick. He also understands where forwards need the ball.

Make him the guy delivering into the forward 50 and watch our young key forwards thrive off it.
If he can maintain his fitness to do this, ideal.

It was what he did in first four or so rounds, as well as kicking his own goals.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rowe: Do you think we can roll Melbourne?

Bodies Smith: Absolutely. Just win the contest and kick it to Tex.

As much as this was said in jest, there does seem to be a grain of truth in there about how we try to play.

There's been a bit of discussion on the Fogarty thread that has morphed into general forward discussion (e.g. Tex, Rowe, Thilthorpe) so I thought I'd bump this one with some numbers, for reference. From Footywire - our goalkickers in 2017, probably the high water mark for Crows goalkicking... might be useful in a discussion about "where do the goals need to come from?"

I might make some comments later, but for now, here's the data:

Crows Goal Kickers 2017
Total and average per game (for forwards)

Total Goals = 377 = average 90.48 points from goals per game (25 games)

Forwards

Betts 55 = 2.3
Walker 54 = 2.4
Jenkins 45 = 2.1
Lynch 31 = 1.4
Cameron 29 = 1.2
Otten 20 = 1.1
McGovern 20 = 1.5

Total forwards = 254 out of 377 = 67.4%

Mids/Wings (plus the odd defender)
All averaged <1 goal per game, most 0.5 or less - except Seedsman

Sloane 20
Douglas 15
Knight 13
Atkins 11
Greenwood 9
Mackay 9
Jacobs 9
Milera 8
B Crouch 8
M Crouch 7
Seedsman 5 (from 5 games = 1 per game)
Brown 3
Laird 3
Hampton 2
Lever 1

Total mids and others = 123 out of 377 = 32.6%

Last edited:
Leave him as deep as possible so the only way he can get the ball is to attack it front on. He's always been more Dunstall than Carey and his best work is on gorilla fullbacks, not mid size intercept defenders who refuse to let him body them. The other two can switch up between leading, staying put or being a decoy for the loose man.

If we do that every entry and our mids can't find one of those to aim at, then we should start rebuilding again.

There's been a bit of discussion on the Fogarty thread that has morphed into general forward discussion (e.g. Tex, Rowe, Thilthorpe) so I thought I'd bump this one with some numbers, for reference. From Footywire - our goalkickers in 2017, probably the high water mark for Crows goalkicking... might be useful in a discussion about "where do the goals need to come from?"

I might make some comments later, but for now, here's the data:

Crows Goal Kickers 2017
Total and average per game (for forwards)

Total Goals = 377 = average 90.48 points from goals per game (25 games)

Forwards

Betts 55 = 2.3
Walker 54 = 2.4
Jenkins 45 = 2.1
Lynch 31 = 1.4
Cameron 29 = 1.2
Otten 20 = 1.1
McGovern 20 = 1.5

Total forwards = 254 out of 377 = 67.4%

Mids/Wings (plus the odd defender)
All averaged I]

Sloane 20
Douglas 15
Knight 13
Atkins 11
Greenwood 9
Mackay 9
Jacobs 9
Milera 8
B Crouch 8
M Crouch 7
Seedsman 5 (from 5 games = 1 per game)
Brown 3
Laird 3
Hampton 2
Lever 1

Total mids and others = 123 out of 377 = 32.6%
Great post! Where are they coming from 2021?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post! Where are they coming from 2021?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a rather dull train ride home, so I got 'chu fam. I've also added shots at goal to give a bit more context, seeing the key to kicking a lot of goals is to generate a lot of shots at goal (and yes, this includes the ball ending up out of bounds).

Forwards:

Walker: 37 (from 69 shots at goal).
McAdam: 20 (from 34).
Thilthorpe: 16 (from 24).
Fogarty: 13 (from 19).
Rowe is 13 (from 31)
Schoenberg: 6 (from 14).
McHenry: 6 (from 12).
Berry: 5 (from 17).
Murphy: 5 (from 13).
Frampton: 2 (from 10).
O'Brien: 2 (from 2).
Lynch: 2 (from 9).
Himmelberg: 2 (from 5).

Mid/Other

Seedsman: 6 (from 20).
Keays: 5 (from 17).
Sholl: 3 (from 8).
Sloane: 2 (from 4).
Mackay: 2 (from 3).
Laird: 1 (from 9).
Smith: 1 (from 2).
Murray: 1 (from 3).
Hately: 0 (from 1).

Rest are yet to register a shot.

Its wild how Tex actually doubles the next best forward in terms of scoring shots. Though none of our four main goal-scoring threats is particularly wasteful in front of goal, all operating over 50% per shot. Our midfield on the other hand..

Last edited:
I have a rather dull train ride home, so I got 'chu fam. I've also added shots at goal to give a bit more context, seeing the key to kicking a lot of goals is to generate a lot of shots at goal (and yes, this includes the ball ending up out of bounds).

Forwards:

Mid/Other

Its wild how Tex actually doubles the next best forward in terms of scoring shots. Though none of our four main goal-scoring threats is particularly wasteful in front of goal, all operating over 50% per shot. Our midfield on the other hand..
It's why he gets a contract next season. And why when he's gone there's no guarantee we don't go back down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forwards:

Mid/Other

I would like to see more goals from Sloane and Laird. 3 goals between them is not a great return, considering how much time they have spent on the ground. Looking at Sloanes 2017 tally above, he managed 20 goals that year which was a great return, so he is obviously capable of more goals. Ideally we need our main mids to be more dangerous on the scoreboard.

Forwards:

Mid/Other

Missed Rowe

Forwards:

Mid/Other

Thanks for the stat's.

My question, without seeing the vision and understanding no one likely will.

Do our mids need to kick straighter for goal, or are they failing to lower their eyes and hit a forward target that can actually kick straight

Forwards:

Mid/Other

Our mids are hopeless.

Laird 1 goal from 9 shots. I actually laugh cry when he tries to kick

Also I think you forgot Rowe.

Our mids are hopeless.

Laird 1 goal from 9 shots. I actually laugh cry when he tries to kick

Also I think you forgot Rowe.

Yeah, I did.

Rowe is 13 goals (31 shots at goal). So he's a wasteful lad at this point.

Yeah, we are remarkably thin for goalkicking:

i‘m not sure if the solution is recruit another forward (and what kind?*) or wait for the organic growth of our draftees

*I see a lot of “get CCJ!”, I’m not sure why? I think it‘s Rankine’s if he ever comes back

Yeah, we are remarkably thin for goalkicking:

i‘m not sure if the solution is recruit another forward (and what kind?*) or wait for the organic growth of our draftees

*I see a lot of “get CCJ!”, I’m not sure why? I think it‘s Rankine’s if he ever comes back
There’s been so much talk about Rankine, I’ve been watching him closely.

Might go alright in a half decent team, but the hype is yet to be met by performance. Not sure we want Rankine for what we’d have to pay to get him.

I would like to see more goals from Sloane and Laird. 3 goals between them is not a great return, considering how much time they have spent on the ground. Looking at Sloanes 2017 tally above, he managed 20 goals that year which was a great return, so he is obviously capable of more goals. Ideally we need our main mids to be more dangerous on the scoreboard.

Absolutely, but while our next gen minds all sit on 20 games, how long do we wait?

Might go alright in a half decent team, but the hype is yet to be met by performance. Not sure we want Rankine for what we’d have to pay to get him.

I agree with you, but in terms of finding appropriate small goalsneaks, I suggest I’m impatient. I’d definitely want more output from him too.

I think it would be hard to perform well at the Suns at the moment.
I think he will become a great player and it would be fantastic to get him back.
I remember everyone was saying that we overpaid for Betts but he was worth every cent and Brisbane didn't get fazed by paying Charlie Cameron a truck load of money

Yeah, I did.

Rowe is 13 goals (31 shots at goal). So he's a wasteful lad at this point.
Interesting he went from 35.19 in 2019 (63%), to 47.11 in 2020 (81%) in the SANFL (both playing 17 games). Which would suggest Jimmy takes a bit of time to acclimatize himself to the level, but once he gets comfortable he does become quite dangerous. Obviously that's at SANFL level, and this is a much steeper step up in quality which might be the reason for his pretty wasteful looking scoring stats.

So the question really becomes; is this the peak of Jimmy Rowe at AFL level, or do we persevere with him to see if he acclimatizes to the level, and thus has the similar jump in scoring production.

I think it would be hard to perform well at the Suns at the moment.
I think he will become a great player and it would be fantastic to get him back.
I remember everyone was saying that we overpaid for Betts but he was worth every cent and Brisbane didn't get fazed by paying Charlie Cameron a truck load of money
I love the way our salary cap is starting to set up. Really we should be clearing out some big chunks of coin in the next 2 seasons with Tex scaling back, Talia, Lynch and potentially Crouch leaving and Sloane's albatross contract finishing.

By the time Rankine/Luko come out of contract we should have enough available salary cap to make a very attractive offer. I'd be happy to bait the hook on both guys and see if we get any nibbles!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back