Debutant
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
3 wins 20 losses.
Win percentage = 13%.
Last win - 2003.
Current streak - 13 losses.

2003 was the last time Adelaide beat Geelong away from SA, and their average losing margin against Geelong in games away from SA since then is 30 points.

This is one of the biggest hoodoos in footy, and if you're a punter looking to load up on a sure thing, the first thing you'd be looking for when the AFL releases the fixture is to see whether or not Adelaide are playing Geelong away from SA.

Gary Ayres was coaching Adelaide and Patrick Dangerfield was in year 7 at Oberon High School when Adelaide last beat Geelong away from SA, that's how long it's been.

Also,

Geelong were in a 40 year premiership drought.
Sydney were in a 70 year premiership drought.
Port Adelaide were yet to win an AFL premiership.
Nick Daicos was 5 months old.

Fremantle have had no issues beating Geelong away from WA, having done so multiple times over the past decade, so why do Adelaide struggle so much against Geelong outside of SA?

Your own team's record is no better in Geelong.

From my post in the gameday thread earlier in the week:

Some decent loss streaks at KP.

Adelaide surprises me though to be honest as outside the last couple of years they have been competitive for the whole time period unlike a couple of those other sides.

Adelaide - 2003 - 12 losses * now 13
Brisbane - 2003 - 13 losses
GC - Never (2011-Current) - 8 losses
Port - 2007 (Would have been 2001 if not for Henry Playfair) - 8 losses
St Kilda - 1999 - 11 losses
West Coast - 2006 - 9 losses
Western Bulldogs - 2003 - 11 losses

Would have been a lot less if we weren't ****ed over by your Umpires on numerous occasions. Notably the Dixon play on. Though there were others.

I used to get my hopes up that this game or that game would be the one where we beat Geslong at Geelong, but now I just chalk it up as a guaranteed loss and hope for a competitive showing. No doubt we will win there one day because nothing lasts forever, but there is no point hoping for it to happen on any particular day.

GMHBA is a cheat ground that no other team is used to due to both the dimensions and the wind getting in due to the low roofs (or whatever you call it) for the crowd. If every team played away games there vs Geelong they would lose almost every time as well due to these reasons. Every other teams home ground is actually a proper stadium.

GMHBA is a cheat ground that no other team is used to due to both the dimensions and the wind getting in due to the low roofs (or whatever you call it) for the crowd. If every team played away games there vs Geelong they would lose almost every time as well due to these reasons. Every other teams home ground is actually a proper stadium.
The grass and goalposts are cheating...b-because they are! :roflv1::roflv1::roflv1:

How about an original thought?

So many injuries at your new ground.
Hopefully unrelated but bleak signs for a club trying to rebuild.

Your own team's record is no better in Geelong.

From my post in the gameday thread earlier in the week:

Some decent loss streaks at KP.

Adelaide surprises me though to be honest as outside the last couple of years they have been competitive for the whole time period unlike a couple of those other sides.

Funny enough, the last time we beat Geelong at Kardinia Park was the same year when we last won the wooden spoon.
Fremantle have won there multiple times in the last decade so it's not impossible. Just very difficult but still, it surprises me that Adelaide have such a poor record there given they've been a good to competitive side for the majority of their time in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny enough, the last time we beat Geelong at Kardinia Park was the same year when we last won the wooden spoon.

Fremantle have won there multiple times in the last decade so it's not impossible. Just very difficult but still, it surprises me that Adelaide have such a poor record there given they've been a good to competitive side for the majority of their time in the AFL.
Obviously it's not impossible, but the results provide evidence that it's a extremely difficult ground to win at. It's not only Adelaide, it's basically every team (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions)

Drove down to Kardinia from Canberra with a bunch of mates (inc a Geelong supporter) back in 2002 when Gary Ayres had just started coaching the Crows.

Was a good day - looked like drizzle and I asked a couple wearing Crows rain-proof ponchos if I could buy one at the ground. They said 'we bought them in Adelaide but if we win, we'll give one to you'. Looked unlikely as we were behind all day. Somehow in the last quarter, we turned it around and won it by a few points.

The Adelaide couple tracked me down and presented me with the poncho as our song was playing. I gave them my Crows flag. They were catching a train back to SA soon and sadly couldn't join us in the pub after the game.

It was such a good day and then some Geelong supporting bi*atch spat in my face as we were exiting the stadium.

Ahhhh - footy..

Last edited:
Reading this I honestly can’t tell if you’re serious or taking the piss….

Id love someone to put up the dimesions of KP and Subiaco oval- seeing your a West Coast supporter

I would have thought that there wasnt that much difference between both of them - long and skinny

Fremantle, Sydney, GWS have had no issue beating us there in recent season. Maybe it’s just WCE that struggles with the ‘cheat ground.’

Fremantle, Sydney, GWS have had no issue beating us there in recent season. Maybe it’s just WCE that struggles with the ‘cheat ground.’
Even Carlton in 2022

The real travesty is that Collingwood have no wins there since 1988 so the fair and equitable folk at the AFL haven't made them play there since 1999.
Or Tasmania, ever, for that matter.

Dockers have won in Geelong in 2004, 2013, 2015 and 2022.

Still gutted that Freo didn't win in 2014 with a Mundy set shot after the siren and in 2017 where Walters missed too before the siren too.

Dockers since 2010 ish is indispensable side that has a semi decent record in Geelong.

Only side to have won a final there too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back