Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are talking about Canberra REGION rugby league you may be right, if you are talking about just Canberra, then i reckon you may be wrong.

For example in the under 13's CDRL ( canberra district RL) this year 16 teams participated - 7 teams were from outside Canberra.

By comparison 12 teams contested AFL Canberra's under 13's, only one team was from outside Canberra.

At adult grass roots level the disparity is even bigger.

27 mens senior RL teams across Canberra district RL ( first, reserves and George tooke ) 14 senior mens teams are from outside Canberra. ( more than 50%)

33 mens senior AF teams across 4 divisions in AFL Canberra, 8 teams from outside Canberra, ( 2 from Batemans bay, Cootamundra, Yass, Goulburn, Cooma, 2 from QBYan) ( less than 25%)

Whatsmore i dont believe that club auskick numbers have been included because looking at foxsportspulse and the 2016 fixtures, it does not look like the CDRL have 2,000 more juniors than AFL Canberra, they appear to have more teams at junior levels, but in general RL teams are smaller.

Well played GM

I was arriving at a similar conclusion doing pretty mush the same assessment of team numbers - without offsetting the Goulburn players. Of course there are 18 players in an Australian football team compared to 13 in league so the evidence points significantly to the afl having considerably more juniors and a lot more seniors!

Big league in future take care not to rely on a hack journalist for your "facts".

Soccer and union numbers also look dubious. There are 40 odd male under 13 soccer teams, which suggests male numbers are about double. There are 30 odd adult union teams

Well played GM

I was arriving at a similar conclusion doing pretty mush the same assessment of team numbers - without offsetting the Goulburn players. Of course there are 18 players in an Australian football team compared to 13 in league so the evidence points significantly to the afl having considerably more juniors and a lot more seniors!

Big league in future take care not to rely on a hack journalist for your "facts".

Soccer and union numbers also look dubious. There are 40 odd male under 13 soccer teams, which suggests male numbers are about double. There are 30 odd adult union teams

Bit of a thread on it, i get a bit nerdy about these type of things using numbers and figures.

Swear i am not a real nerd though :)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/is-canberra-rugby-league-heartland.1140534/

one of my posts

Garlic muncher said:
Canberra itself is not RL heartland but the rural areas around it are, for example out of the 9 clubs that make up the CDRL, 4 are outside Canberra, they include 2 from QBYan and one each from Goulburn and Yass, Yass in particular is a pretty small town.

Who sits first and second on the ladder ATM - both QBYan teams.

It is really a staggering % considering the population difference between Canberra and the surrounding rural areas.

What Harmesy 37 above did not mention is that there is also a George Tooke shield which i guess is a bit of a pub league, that has 9 teams and out of the 9 teams 6 are outside Canberra, out of the 3 Canberra teams one is from ADFA which i would imagine has plenty of Northern state relocated players, one is called Boonamulla Raiders which is centered around Narrabundah and is primarily a Indigenous team, a indigenous team full of ex Sydneyites from around Redfern who were moved/relocated to Canberra around 20 years ago.

The other teams are Crookwell, Gunning, Bungendore, Harden, Braidwood, Boorawa all tiny rural hamlets.

So in essence, Canberra is far from RL heartland but is surrounded by it.

Rugby league numbers down but not dire

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/33357900/rugby-league-numbers-down-but-not-dire/#page1

The NRL and Grant on Tuesday again refused to give firm numbers, however the NSW, Queensland and Country rugby league associations all said while numbers were down, there was plenty of silver lining.

Across all three of the major associations, there is a broad trend towards a slight drop in numbers, driven by declining male participation but largely offset by exponential growth in the women's game.

According to the NSWRL, for the 2016 season, its overall participation dropped from 40,824 in 2015 to just over 39,000.

The QRL said it had 60,794 registered players in 2016, down from 61,291 the year before with a big jump in female numbers (3405 to 3832).

There was also an increase in participation in the QRL Northern Division (13,422 to 13,607) driven largely by North Queensland's 2015 NRL premiership win.

The NSW Country Rugby League (CRL) said its numbers had fallen overall, a drop of about two per cent to 56,000, with men down one per cent.

CRL chief executive Terry Quinn said women's numbers climbed from 5000 to 7000 and they were expecting further growth with three women's tag competitions to start in 2017.

All sems a bit odd, is women's league tag actually RL, isnt it just touch football ?.

Wouldn't it be the same as AFL 9's being included in club registrations.

Looks like they are shoring up the club numbers here.

Whatsmore if the NRL refuse to give firm numbers, they either don't know or they do know and for reasons we can only guess at, they wont tell us!!.

Last edited:

Well played GM

I referenced a fact, and I am happy to rely on a journo from a reputable publication than the word of a random preacher on a forum.

All sems a bit odd, is women's league tag actually RL, isnt it just touch football ?.

Wouldn't it be the same as AFL 9's being included in club registrations.

Looks like they are shoring up the club numbers here.

Whatsmore if the NRL refuse to give firm numbers, they either don't know or they do know and for reasons we can only guess at, they wont tell us!!.
Tag is not touch, it is tag.

I referenced a fact, and I am happy to rely on a journo from a reputable publication than the word of a random preacher on a forum.

It is a fact that some journo wrote it, the alleged facts within it are not necessarily fact.

In 'fact' I doubt whether they are, so much for the Canberra Region RL claiming they have double the club registered juniors than Canberra AFL when the numbers just don't seem to stack up.

And whatsmore traditionally the codes have been reasonably equal although within the ACT Aussie Rules would probably be ahead.

Well you're not very bright then. You referenced an unreferenced number by a journo

I went straight to an interrogation of junior competitions (ie a primary information source) and which confirmed my original hypothesis of an apples and oranges comparison. I came back to post my findings and Garlic Muncher had already gone through the same exercise and posted!

But, yeah, nah, keep believing a suspiciously round number in a soccer article rather than consider primary information sources. That is, believe what you want to believe!

Not only that, but Canberra is a town where football loyalties are reasonably split - the Gong not so !

AFAIK without having look Canberra also has a bigger population by 100 k or so.

Floreade was on (flower festival). Was a beautiful day in Canberra and the AFL GF takes place on a Saturday afternoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you're not very bright then. You referenced an unreferenced number by a journo

I went straight to an interrogation of junior competitions (ie a primary information source) and which confirmed my original hypothesis of an apples and oranges comparison. I came back to post my findings and Garlic Muncher had already gone through the same exercise and posted!

But, yeah, nah, keep believing a suspiciously round number in a soccer article rather than consider primary information sources. That is, believe what you want to believe!

The real facts are within the fixtures and results on fox sports pulse which give a REAL AND REALISTIC INDICATION of people's playing a particular sport.

Everyone uses them to see who they are playing, where they are on the ladder and how there club is going in different age groups across a whole range of sports- you don't have to be a rocket scientist to compare and work out that article is just incorrect.

It is a fact that some journo wrote it, the alleged facts within it are not necessarily fact.

In 'fact' I doubt whether they are, so much for the Canberra Region RL claiming they have double the club registered juniors than Canberra AFL when the numbers just don't seem to stack up.

And whatsmore traditionally the codes have been reasonably equal although within the ACT Aussie Rules would probably be ahead.
You can doubt all you like.

You can doubt all you like.

I am in no doubt at all that either the rugby league figures are overs or AFL Canberra figures that have been quoted are unders.

There is no way on gods green earth or in Canberra's case of dry parched waste of good sheep country that RL has 2,000 plus more juniors in Canberra.

I am in no doubt at all that either the rugby league figures are overs or AFL Canberra figures that have been quoted are unders.

There is no way on gods green earth or in Canberra's case of dry parched waste of good sheep country that RL has 2,000 plus more juniors in Canberra.
I'm sure if you were to contact the Canberra Times and just explain to them who you are they would be more than happy to print a correction. Don't forget to tell them about NoobPie.

No kidding. Im saying that this situation was foreseen by Crawford and is precisely why we dont have the same kind of commission the NRL settled for. Clubs will never see the bigger picture, and shouldnt have to.

He was up re-election, and wasnt re-elected. He wasnt ousted mid term. And oddly enough, was replaced by Bob Hammond.

& who voted?
Bob Hammond, not questioning his suitability/experience/knowledge (SA & NSW)/footy nous,, got the spot reserved for SA/WA representation - yes/no?

IMHO you are in denial of reality if you believe the line you are pushing.
WA Commissioner Terry O'Connor was pushing the view at the AFL board table that the competition could not sustain 10 clubs in Victoria and the Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Melbourne were on his hit list.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...dogs-back-from-the-brink-20160927-grpqvh.html

I'm sure if you were to contact the Canberra Times and just explain to them who you are they would be more than happy to print a correction. Don't forget to tell them about NoobPie.

Nah, I'm OK to keep it there. The longer it takes Rugby League numpties to accept their predicament, the harder it will be to turn back the tide on that sisyphean sport

Run along now, Pangloss...I head there's a new super league debacle brewing

Nah, I'm OK to keep it there. The longer it takes Rugby League numpties to accept their predicament, the harder it will be to turn back the tide on that sisyphean sport

Run along now, Pangloss...I head there's a new super league debacle brewing

Actually, that impending super league debacle will be interesting to observe. In the end, I'm sure it will all be worked out, but there will be learnings there for us in terms of how we should or shouldn't do things, what's good about our governance structures, etc.

So here is a summary table of analysis of TV viewing for the most recent seasons AFL, NRL and A League. The underlying data is courtesy of the Wookies compilations

upload_2016-12-1_16-37-36.png

Comparing the AFL to the NRL, the AFL averages higher across all categories. AFL games are playing on an average of 18.5 hours over each round (generally 18) which average 262,000 on foxtel and a further 362,000 on FTA (obviously heavily skewed to the games broadcast nationally particularly on Friday nights). These numbers are 12 and 62 percent above the NRL averages respectively (eg 234,000 and 223,000). In total, finals were on average 19% for the AFL across both FTA (20%) and Foxtel (18%). Total viewing hows for the seasons were 60% higher for the AFL (320 million) compared to the NRL (200 million).

Actually, that impending super league debacle will be interesting to observe. In the end, I'm sure it will all be worked out, but there will be learnings there for us in terms of how we should or shouldn't do things, what's good about our governance structures, etc.

Actually I happened to be st Eastlake football club in Canberra for a function when news of super league broke, who happened to be there ? Ricky Stuart, Bradley Clyde and a couple of others obviously happy with each other and the $$ they were getting - fast forward quite a number of years and it appears RL has learnt zip, zero , zilch

You gotta laugh at these clowns

Actually I happened to be st Eastlake football club in Canberra for a function when news of super league broke, who happened to be there ? Ricky Stuart, Bradley Clyde and a couple of others obviously happy with each other and the $$ they were getting - fast forward quite a number of years and it appears RL has learnt zip, zero , zilch

You gotta laugh at these clowns

True. My memory is that while the Raiders were flexing their muscle after 8 or so good seasons, they went backwards as a club quite rapidly during Super League, because many Raiders fans would have been turned off at all of a sudden playing all these new, random clubs with zero history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back