Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Yeah North, but apparently a couple of ours played for them as well.
But they didn't really play for the jumper while wearing it apparently 🤣

fwiw I haven't seen a single pic of our players in Norf jumpers, or vice versa for the Carlton/Collingwood games. All of the pics from the scratch yesterday had all of our players in our own jumpers, so I'm guessing they swapped around a bit so they all got a chance to play for the sash.

I guess it might be due to sponsorships, as in they're not allowed to publish photos of players wearing the wrong team's sponsors...

fwiw I haven't seen a single pic of our players in Norf jumpers, or vice versa for the Carlton/Collingwood games. All of the pics from the scratch yesterday had all of our players in our own jumpers, so I'm guessing they swapped around a bit so they all got a chance to play for the sash.

I guess it might be due to sponsorships, as in they're not allowed to publish photos of players wearing the wrong team's sponsors...

Fairly sure I remember seeing a highlight of Cahill hitting up a Carlton player in those highlights

Fairly sure I remember seeing a highlight of Cahill hitting up a Carlton player in those highlights
Went through yesterday's one again, on the left there you can see I think Nick Bryan? running with Crauford in an unbranded white guernsey, black shorts and Essendon socks.

Don't have time rn to go through everything, might look later. Trying to get through a replay of last night before someone else wants the TV to watch the Richmond game at 3 lol.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 13.00.39.png

"Electric"
That's code for Power, which means Cahill replaces Fantasia who we trade to Port for pick 15-18.

I'm bored.
Did you not watch last night?
Fantasia was terrific from half back.
I think it’s important to not overestimate draft picks especially this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What they did not run out carrying some shin bones ? Disgraceful !

Went through yesterday's one again, on the left there you can see I think Nick Bryan? running with Crauford in an unbranded white guernsey, black shorts and Essendon socks.
Looked like two in black shorts to me, the other being one of the Irish boys.

Last edited:
Below is a re-hashing of a post from the autopsy thread against the Lions. It's generally topical because it relates directly to Dodoro's position and I can't remember if there is a more general thread.

I think the siloing of player recruitment and development and coaching is almost completely unsustainable and a large part of the reason the post-2013 rebuild is stagnating, among other things.

I think Dodoro has to go. I don't trust him anymore which is not to say that there aren't parts of the list and some decisions not to like.

He says far too much strange stuff about players. He clearly doesn't get the midfield game. I don't like the lack of physical prowess in the players he recruits.

I'd replace the list manager with a general manager who sets a direction for everything. Rutten and Caracella can continue to coach.

I'd throw millions at Roos or Lyon to be the GM the point being to instill brutal competitiveness at every level. I understand it can't happen but the only other person I'd want is Hird. Clarkson aside it's not apparent to me anyone else has the brains and knowledge of football to have the responsibility. It's possible the best person for the role is not in football.

I'd create a spot on the board, with an executive football role, to scrutinise everything the football department does. Essentially a football auditor, someone who has never had anything to do with Essendon and who is charged with nitpicking every single word those morons say and everything they do, measuring it against what good clubs do among other things . It would have a term limit of 3 years and can never be filled by anyone that has played for, supported or previously worked for Essendon.

The club can't be trusted and has to be protected from itself.

I was watching Ben McKay play on Tom Lynch yesterday thinking to myself, how can North's coaches have such a bad understanding of their own players to have a player who, as a defender would be looking to model his game on Carlisle or Hooker, he can read the ball and dominate the air but can't run, playing on one of the hardest leading forwards in the AFL.

Then I thought, "s**t, I know he was always the second McKay but how many games has the guy actually played?". Then I was like "Bruno, what happened to that Sam Durdin guy, he looked okay last year - certainly like it was time to persist with him for a bit".

Sam Durdin, pick 16 in the 2014 draft, 5.5 years in to his career, has played 19 games.

Ben McKay, pick 21 in the 2015 draft, 4.5 years in to his career, has played 7 games.

That's a collective 26 games in to a first and second round pick over a collective 10 years on a list. I've seen both play enough VFL footy to know with a reasonable degree of confidence that injury doesn't explain it.

If that's not a reason for a football auditor, I don't know what is.

As the CEO of a publicly listed company that hasn't turned a profit in 5 years, try explaining to share holders why you haven't used two key assets you've invested substantial amounts in and why you haven't either sold them or written them off to stem the bleeding. It's pure negligence.

Last edited:
Below is a re-hashing of a post from the autopsy thread against the Lions. It's generally topical because it relates directly to Dodoro's position and I can't remember if there is a more general thread.

I think the siloing of player recruitment and development and coaching is almost completely unsustainable and a large part of the reason the post-2013 rebuild is stagnating, among other things.

I think Dodoro has to go. I don't trust him anymore which is not to say that there aren't parts of the list and some decisions not to like.

He says far too much strange stuff about players. He clearly doesn't get the midfield game. I don't like the lack of physical prowess in the players he recruits.

I'd replace the list manager with a general manager who sets a direction for everything. Rutten and Caracella can continue to coach.

I'd throw millions at Roos or Lyon to be the GM the point being to instill brutal competitiveness at every level. I understand it can't happen but the only other person I'd want is Hird. Clarkson aside it's not apparent to me anyone else has the brains and knowledge of football to have the responsibility. It's possible the best person for the role is not in football.

I'd create a spot on the board, with an executive football role, to scrutinise everything the football department does. Essentially a football auditor, someone who has never had anything to do with Essendon and who is charged with nitpicking every single word those morons say and everything they do, measuring it against what good clubs do among other things . It would have a term limit of 3 years and can never be filled by anyone that has played for, supported or previously worked for Essendon.

I was watching Ben McKay play on Tom Lynch yesterday thinking to myself, how can North's coaches have such a bad understanding of their own players to have a player who, as a defender would be looking to model his game on Carlisle or Hooker, he can read the ball and dominate the air but can't run, playing on one of the hardest leading forwards in the AFL.

Then I thought, "sh*t, I know he was always the second McKay but how many games has the guy actually played?". Then I was like "Bruno, what happened to that Sam Durdin guy, he looked okay last year - certainly like it was time to persist with him for a bit".

Sam Durdin, pick 16 in the 2014 draft, 5.5 years in to his career, has played 19 games.

Ben McKay, pick 21 in the 2015 draft, 4.5 years in to his career, has played 7 games.

That's a collective 26 games in to a first and second round pick over a collective 10 years on a list. I've seen both play enough VFL footy to know with a reasonable degree of confidence that injury doesn't explain it.

As the CEO of a publicly listed company that hasn't turned a profit in 5 years, try explaining to share holders why you're haven't used two key assets you've invested substantial amounts for and why you haven't either sold them or written them off to stem the bleeding. It's pure negligence.
Are you talking about yourself in the third person again BrunoV ? ;-)

Then I thought, "sh*t, I know he was always the second McKay but how many games has the guy actually played?". Then I was like "Bruno, what happened to that Sam Durdin guy, he looked okay last year - certainly like it was time to persist with him for a bit".

As the CEO of a publicly listed company that hasn't turned a profit in 5 years, try explaining to share holders why you're haven't used two key assets you've invested substantial amounts for and why you haven't either sold them or written them off to stem the bleeding. It's pure negligence.

The thing is, we have invested, in recycled and mature players.

tempering my criticism a bit, because we have a really good backline, and a forward line that would be premiership standard if it wasn't always in the shop.
And i don't mind the middle. Shiel, Merrett, Parish, McGrath - really good pacey mids. Shiel can be a little dodgy by foot, but the other 3 i've seen enough to see a good unit there. Langford & Cutler give us good size on the wings too.
Add to that, Draper looks a find.

And i think selections need to cop some level of accountability.
There were plenty to drop for Shiel ahead of Hibberd. And while he and Clarke may not be Cripps & JPK, we don't need them to be. Just get some bodies in there to help with the blocks, tackling, extracting, etc.

I'd like to see Hibberd & Clarke given a good run to play the role we lack with Stringer & Heppell out.

tempering my criticism a bit, because we have a really good backline, and a forward line that would be premiership standard if it wasn't always in the shop.
And i don't mind the middle. Shiel, Merrett, Parish, McGrath - really good pacey mids. Shiel can be a little dodgy by foot, but the other 3 i've seen enough to see a good unit there. Langford & Cutler give us good size on the wings too.

There were plenty to drop for Shiel ahead of Hibberd. And while he and Clarke may not be Cripps & JPK, we don't need them to be. Just get some bodies in there to help with the blocks, tackling, extracting, etc.

I'd like to see Hibberd & Clarke given a good run to play the role we lack with Stringer & Heppell out.
Think everyone agrees with you except for the selection panel. Groundhog day really!

I think the thing about selection is that they are too slow. The process we have in place appears to be at the start of the year we outline the roles in the team, it then seems to sort certain players who are going to fill and compete for those roles. Listening to the way John and others have spoken over the years there appears to be a large deal of two way communication on this matter, its agreed on with the players.

Then the year comes and we lose players (the biggest issue with this clubs growth for mine, but not for this thread) and we start trying to slot players into the roles. The roles are pre set, and the players to fill those roles are pre set, so they are too static and dont seem to be reactionary enough.

EG. Hibberd, playing wing instead of inside, to fill the Cutler role, when we are screaming for size around the ball. Why is he not in there? well because one of the players like a mcgrath, parish, <preset player> is as they are still active.

So i dont think the selection panel are "wrong" they are sticking to their agreed upon process and the roles. People laud a Richmond who use practically the same thing, but they have success.
I think the questions should be -
-Is this standard throughout the industry? Locking players into a set role and only that role.
-How often is it reviewed? (it must be, but is it often enough? the argument internally would be dont change too quickly give it time)
-Are we getting it right at the start of the year when determining who plays what role?
- Is the recruiting team being told to find players to suit specific roles, or are they recruiting "old school" and then the football department are trying to fit them into roles.

I think the thing about selection is that they are too slow. The process we have in place appears to be at the start of the year we outline the roles in the team, it then seems to sort certain players who are going to fill and compete for those roles. Listening to the way John and others have spoken over the years there appears to be a large deal of two way communication on this matter, its agreed on with the players.

Then the year comes and we lose players (the biggest issue with this clubs growth for mine, but not for this thread) and we start trying to slot players into the roles. The roles are pre set, and the players to fill those roles are pre set, so they are too static and dont seem to be reactionary enough.

EG. Hibberd, playing wing instead of inside, to fill the Cutler role, when we are screaming for size around the ball. Why is he not in there? well because one of the players like a mcgrath, parish, <preset player> is as they are still active.

So i dont think the selection panel are "wrong" they are sticking to their agreed upon process and the roles. People laud a Richmond who use practically the same thing, but they have success.
I think the questions should be -
-Is this standard throughout the industry? Locking players into a set role and only that role.
-How often is it reviewed? (it must be, but is it often enough? the argument internally would be dont change too quickly give it time)
-Are we getting it right at the start of the year when determining who plays what role?
- Is the recruiting team being told to find players to suit specific roles, or are they recruiting "old school" and then the football department are trying to fit them into roles.
A lot of good points.

i think our midfield can work if you club by type
Shiel, McGrath, Merrett, Parish (our top line mids)
Heppell, Langford, Cutler (wing types that can get inside if needed)
Clarke, Hibberd (inside mids)
Smith, Fantasia, Tippa, Stringer (forwards that are support cast)

Given we name 7 defenders generally, a ruck with a fwd supporting that ruck (McKernan/Stewart), plus those 4 forwards and another tall (Daniher)

so it's 8/9 of those mids can fit in. Which is good. With Heppell out injured at the moment, should be an easy call yeah? no, because we play Zaka and Snelling.

Question i ask is why not name the best midfield and cover those roles with better players.

Ridley Hooker Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
w/Redman on bench

Smith Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Stewart Stringer

Draper + a midfield unit of Shiel, McGrath, Merrett, Parish, Langford, Heppell, Clarke, Hibberd

That is surely our best, balanced 22.

A lot of good points.

i think our midfield can work if you club by type
Shiel, McGrath, Merrett, Parish (our top line mids)
Heppell, Langford, Cutler (wing types that can get inside if needed)
Clarke, Hibberd (inside mids)
Smith, Fantasia, Tippa, Stringer (forwards that are support cast)

Given we name 7 defenders generally, a ruck with a fwd supporting that ruck (McKernan/Stewart), plus those 4 forwards and another tall (Daniher)

so it's 8/9 of those mids can fit in. Which is good. With Heppell out injured at the moment, should be an easy call yeah? no, because we play Zaka and Snelling.

Question i ask is why not name the best midfield and cover those roles with better players.

Ridley Hooker Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
w/Redman on bench

Smith Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Stewart Stringer

Draper + a midfield unit of Shiel, McGrath, Merrett, Parish, Langford, Heppell, Clarke, Hibberd

That is surely our best, balanced 22.

Id agree, id have that as my ideal team and one that im sure given a good run at it would have been challenging for top 4.

The issue though being,

Stewart and Daniher have been gone for 18 months, robbing us of any target to build around.
Fantasia cannot stay healthy and appears to have lost his spark. May be gone from the club soon.
Draper has been out for 12 months but he is the future, what we needed is him being in the team this time last year to build connection.
Hooker Hurley are fast approaching the end. So we are stuck with two AA quality defenders to win now, but unable to get games into their replacements.
Mckenna possibly gone end of year. Though he has his critics, he is best 22 and losing another piece hurts. You would suggest long term Redman takes his place.

So when you lay the list out as it "should" have been the past couple of years, it looks good. The issue is the patchwork job we have been trying to do in seasons and between seasons has robbed us of large chunks of development. My question is if we can keep the core together can we replace the holes quick enough and with enough quality to challenge for a sustained stretch?
Looking at the list, sustained top line success is beyond this group imo, we may get a nice pop where we compete strongly for a limited 2 years window but will then fall away.
If we dont get the players back that we need soon, that pop may only get us to a mid finals run, before the talent drops out of the club and we have to reload again down the bottom. That is my concern.

The thing is, we have invested, in recycled and mature players.
We have invested in all forms over the last 5 years. Early draft picks. Mature aged rookies , mature players and a couple of recycled. In fairness we have had interest in some blokes who would have helped our list from talking to Dustys manager from the first time he was looking around to being right into Setterfield but losing out. It is certainly time to have another go at the draft this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back