2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows welcome respected Eagle into fold

ANDREW CAPEL

PREMIERSHIP Eagle Chris Hall has reunited with his flag coach Michael Godden and joined Adelaide’s SANFL team.
Mutually departing Woodville-West Torrens this week after playing 183 games and kicking 129 goals in two stints at the club from 2008-20, the 30-year-old wingman has been named in the Crows side to play West Adelaide at Richmond Oval tomorrow.
“Chris was looking for another opportunity and with where we’re at (with injuries) at the moment, he’ll be really valuable,’’ said Godden, who was in charge at Oval Avenue when Hall played in the Eagles’ 2011 premiership side.
“I loved coaching Hally at the Eagles and he’ll be very good in helping the 10-to-15 guys we have who haven’t played a lot of league footy.
“We encouraged Chris to continue at the Eagles, but he wants to play league footy and we need players like him.’’
Hall was drafted from the Eagles by Fremantle at pick 77 in 2008, but he failed to play an AFL game in two years there.
Woodville-West Torrens chief executive Luke Powell said the decision to let Hall go was tough, but was made in the best interests of both parties as he currently was not in the club’s best 22.
“Chris’ football exploits have always seen him be a club and fan favourite, but, more importantly, his biggest impression that he will leave has been as an exceptional teammate, both on and off the field,’’ Powell said.
“We thank him for his wonderful contribution to the Eagles and wish him all the best with his endeavours in his next chapter.”
The Eagles, who won last year’s premiership and beat Sturt in Round 1, have also cut ties with former Port Adelaide pair Louis Sharrad and Tom Gray.
1617936798619.png

Frampton was already ahead of him from given Frampton was in the 1st team by that point. Frampton also had a decent pre season hence why he kept the position.

Himmelberg was far from awful in the pre season and that's not even debatable.
I'll tell you what's not debatable...

The coaching panel thus far have Frampton ahead of Himmelberg this season that's indisputable and if they're fair dinkum other than injury to a key forward nothing he's done should be enough to get selected at AFL level this week.

I'll tell you what's not debatable...

The coaching panel thus far have Frampton ahead of Himmelberg this season that's indisputable and if they're fair dinkum other than injury to a key forward nothing he's done should be enough to get selected at AFL level this week.
Yeah that was my original point. Something must have happened during pre season training for them to have Frampton ahead PRIOR to any trial matches.

Frampton did enough to earn round 1 and another game. Himmelberg, in his 1 Sanfl game, didn't do enough to push him out for this week.

Yeah that was my original point. Something must have happened during pre season training for them to have Frampton ahead PRIOR to any trial matches.

Frampton did enough to earn round 1 and another game. Himmelberg, in his 1 Sanfl game, didn't do enough to push him out for this week.
Think Berg was injured a bit through the summer, and we know this is when Bill is in his best form.

Frampton was already ahead of him from given Frampton was in the 1st team by that point. Frampton also had a decent pre season hence why he kept the position.

Himmelberg was far from awful in the pre season and that's not even debatable.
not sure what preseason games you were watching to think thats not even debatable... because Himmelberg has been dogshit in every game be it a preseaon, trial or last weeks Sanfl fixture.. he’s barely earnt his place in the SANFL side this season let alone the AFL side.

you need to go back and watch those games again.. and this time do it with your eyes open.

How have Thilthorpe and Mcasey been to start the year?

I ask about Tilthorpe because he looked great as a prospect and I genuinely can’t wait to see him play. Tex’s form probably holding him out for a good part of the year but would also be great to see him slot in beside and act as a foil! Has he showed signs in the SANFL yet? For comparison, JUH has been absolutely elite in the air in VFL practice matches so far but can only run out about 60% of the game before his entire body cramps up. Still a way to go if we want him fit enough to contribute in the 1sts.

Mcasey interests me as a dogs fan for obvious reasons. You just need to look at the starting backline we picked this week against the Lions that has 1 (yes, you read that right. ONE) player over 188cm to understand our greatest struggle as a list. It’s dangerous and we will be exposed for it. Has Fish actually been played in the backline this year? Seemed wasteful having him forward last year. Also seemed like he had the athleticism of a motorhome, was that just fitness issues or? Seemed farmore agile in u/18s.

How have Thilthorpe and Mcasey been to start the year?

I ask about Tilthorpe because he looked great as a prospect and I genuinely can’t wait to see him play. Tex’s form probably holding him out for a good part of the year but would also be great to see him slot in beside and act as a foil! Has he showed signs in the SANFL yet? For comparison, JUH has been absolutely elite in the air in VFL practice matches so far but can only run out about 60% of the game before his entire body cramps up. Still a way to go if we want him fit enough to contribute in the 1sts.

Mcasey interests me as a dogs fan for obvious reasons. You just need to look at the starting backline we picked this week against the Lions that has 1 (yes, you read that right. ONE) player over 188cm to understand our greatest struggle as a list. It’s dangerous and we will be exposed for it. Has Fish actually been played in the backline this year? Seemed wasteful having him forward last year. Also seemed like he had the athleticism of a motorhome, was that just fitness issues or? Seemed farmore agile in u/18s.

Re McAsey - Our backline is pretty similar, Butts the only genuine KPD with a massive 5 games experience, then we’ve got Doedee and Kelly at 188-189cm as medium defenders and Smith as a rebounding defender at similar height. McAsey’s stuck in the SANFL, so fair to say he’s struggling a bit at the moment. Still high hopes.

Thilthorpe’s being cotton-wooled to an extent. Struggled with groin pain last year, he’s the kind of player who needs to be held back because he’ll smash himself to the detriment of his body. Had one awesome trial game against Port reserves, but has otherwise been okay. Probably will get debuted in the next couple of weeks, they appear to be giving Frampton a block of games to try an prove himself and Himmelberg appears to have gone backwards at a rate of knots.

Re McAsey - Our backline is pretty similar, Butts the only genuine KPD with a massive 5 games experience, then we’ve got Doedee and Kelly at 188-189cm as medium defenders and Smith as a rebounding defender at similar height. McAsey’s stuck in the SANFL, so fair to say he’s struggling a bit at the moment. Still high hopes.

Thilthorpe’s being cotton-wooled to an extent. Struggled with groin pain last year, he’s the kind of player who needs to be held back because he’ll smash himself to the detriment of his body. Had one awesome trial game against Port reserves, but has otherwise been okay. Probably will get debuted in the next couple of weeks, they appear to be giving Frampton a block of games to try an prove himself and Himmelberg appears to have gone backwards at a rate of knots.
The crows seem so good at finding those 2nd/3rd tall defenders. Always have a surplus. Love what Doedee and Kelly bring but, yeah. You need that height sometimes. Similarly, dogs always have a surplus of really quality medium defenders. Is Worrell still coming along okay?

Yeah fair call re; Tilthorpe. I think the covid stuff has really whacked a few of that drafts ability to seamlessly roll into an elite footy environment. Maybe I watched the Port game, because whatever vision I saw of him in ADL colours, he looked great.

not sure what preseason games you were watching to think thats not even debatable... because Himmelberg has been dogshit in every game be it a preseaon, trial or last weeks Sanfl fixture.. he’s barely earnt his place in the SANFL side this season let alone the AFL side.

you need to go back and watch those games again.. and this time do it with your eyes open.
I was at Noarlunga with a few mates last week and must say I can’t agree with this. The problem we had was that our midfield was simply deplorable. Chayce Jones was made to look like an SANFL reserves level player by Jason Horne (who just looks a star btw) O’Connor doesn’t look close and Hately only gets his touches by running into the back line. It’s also best not to mention Strachan and the top ups. So the forwards not only had virtually no ball but when it did come in it was wide or at their feet. Considering all this, all of us who watched were actually quite impressed with Himmo. He takes the ball on the half volley (which he had to do a lot) amazingly for a 200cm player and he presented really well. He also kept battling really hard in the contest and was involved or directly set up nearly every goal we got. He also looked a lot better than Strachan when he did ruck.

look there was plenty to be pessimistic about for the future from that game, but the big guys were probably the only positive to take out. McAsey, Worrell and Borlace all looked at the level while Fog and Himmo actually impressed. Tillthorpe is a very long way off unfortunately.

I was at Noarlunga with a few mates last week and must say I can’t agree with this. The problem we had was that our midfield was simply deplorable. Chayce Jones was made to look like an SANFL reserves level player by Jason Horne (who just looks a star btw) O’Connor doesn’t look close and Hately only gets his touches by running into the back line. It’s also best not to mention Strachan and the top ups. So the forwards not only had virtually no ball but when it did come in it was wide or at their feet. Considering all this, all of us who watched were actually quite impressed with Himmo. He takes the ball on the half volley (which he had to do a lot) amazingly for a 200cm player and he presented really well. He also kept battling really hard in the contest and was involved or directly set up nearly every goal we got. He also looked a lot better than Strachan when he did ruck.

look there was plenty to be pessimistic about for the future from that game, but the big guys were probably the only positive to take out. McAsey, Worrell and Borlace all looked at the level while Fog and Himmo actually impressed. Tillthorpe is a very long way off unfortunately.
I watched a fair bit of the game on digital and agree with your totally summary. RT is a long way from selection atm. Its sad to see players taken later in a number of draft massively ahead of our selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crows seem so good at finding those 2nd/3rd tall defenders. Always have a surplus. Love what Doedee and Kelly bring but, yeah. You need that height sometimes. Similarly, dogs always have a surplus of really quality medium defenders. Is Worrell still coming along okay?

Yeah fair call re; Tilthorpe. I think the covid stuff has really whacked a few of that drafts ability to seamlessly roll into an elite footy environment. Maybe I watched the Port game, because whatever vision I saw of him in ADL colours, he looked great.

You're getting McAsey for a half eaten sandwich at year's end. Enquiring about Thilthorpe and Worrell is a little greedy don't you think?

You're getting McAsey for a half eaten sandwich at year's end. Enquiring about Thilthorpe and Worrell is a little greedy don't you think?
Hahahaha. Definitely came here with the intention of getting a form update on McAsey as I see him as the perfect target for our tall back issues.

Any interest in Lewis Young from our list? SA boy. Started very well with us but has fallen off a cliff and bevo doesn’t seem to rate him too highly now.

As for the other two, just genuinely interested in how they’re going. Tilthorpe I just wanted to see if he’s having similar struggles to Marra as they were 1 and 2 in the draft and a few on our board have been sad sacks about McDonald doing so well, so early.
Worrell resigned long term didn’t he? Great news.

Im glad you spoke up because I watched the game on the sanfl app and whilst his opportunities were limited, Bergs skills for his height are a cut above sanfl level.

you’re right, Hateley basically got a lot of junk touches. The only two AFL listed playerswho looked ok were Worrell (who is clearly AFL ready and a waste in the Sanfl - so watch us leave him there for half the year) and Fog (only in the second half and only when he went into the guts).

edit: you are right, McAset and Borlase deserve honourable mentions for holding up in defence.

Im glad you spoke up because I watched the game on the sanfl app and whilst his opportunities were limited, Bergs skills for his height are a cut above sanfl level.

you’re right, Hateley basically got a lot of junk touches. The only two AFL listed playerswho looked ok were Worrell (who is clearly AFL ready and a waste in the Sanfl - so watch us leave him there for half the year) and Fog (only in the second half and only when he went into the guts).
Yep, those were the two we all agreed should be in the league team From that game. Loved how Fog moves through the contest when he played in the middle. It’s like watching Schoenberg when he backs himself and is actually travelling quite fast when he picks up the ball, as opposed to watching Jones who is flat footed and wrestling with his opponent when the ball comes his way. We need to do whatever it takes to get Horne btw. He would be our best mid right now. He is a great size but just explodes from the contest and has amazing natural footy talent to boot. He only got 20 touches but you could remember everyone of them after the game.

edit: you are right, McAset and Borlase deserve honourable mentions for holding up in defence.
These skills couldn't have been too obvious when he only had 8 touches, that's right 8 touches....I watched the game too, he was poor any way you want to sugarcoat it. No way was that a performance of a player desperate to regain his AFL spot, in fact the very opposite. He needs to extract the digit.

These skills couldn't have been too obvious when he only had 8 touches, that's right 8 touches....I watched the game too, he was poor any way you want to sugarcoat it. No way was that a performance of a player desperate to regain his AFL spot, in fact the very opposite. He needs to extract the digit.
We would have struggled to have 20 reasonable inside 50’s and we had 3 tall forwards and no smalls, Not exactly an environment to shine as a forward. They moved at ThillThorpe to the wing because there was no opportunities up forward. Btw I doubt Jones got any more touches and he was at every centre contest for the game.

We would have struggled to have 20 reasonable inside 50’s and we had 3 tall forwards and no smalls, Not exactly an environment to shine as a forward. They moved at ThillThorpe to the wing because there was no opportunities up forward. Btw I doubt Jones got any more touches and he was at every centre contest for the game.
Think you better go watch the replay bud. I have.

I've had a feeling that Nicks is a bit of a fan of Frampton from their Port days and sees some level of unfilled potential there. Not sure if I agree, but may as well find out way one or the other. Can he be a starting piece or just full-time depth.
In a year when we had no finals expectations, it’s a good time to play players like Frampton. Play him for 5 or 6 straight, that way you will know one way or another if he or any other player will make it.

In a year when we had no finals expectations, it’s a good time to play players like Frampton. Play him for 5 or 6 straight, that way you will know one way or another if he or any other player will make it.
I would suggest that we’ve already seen enough of Frampton to know he won’t make it. Why our coaches can’t see it is beyond me.

I would suggest that we’ve already seen enough of Frampton to know he won’t make it. Why our coaches can’t see it is beyond me.
We know what happened

He busted his arse during the preseason, worked ultra-hard on the track and won the coaches over with pure effort and sweat

We've been seduced by this every year. Some players have built a career on it

Must be something none of us see in training. His career may be finished in 2 weeks but at least we will know for sure that he’s not AFL quality and can move on, instead of playing him every 4 weeks to see he’s not improving.

Think you better go watch the replay bud. I have.
Don’t need to see a replay, I was there. Watching a game on TV gives you no idea of the endeavor and work rate of players, or especially the natural skills players have at reading the play And moving to space. Newchurch is a great example as he made great position from the wing on many occasions, but was ignored because the players who had the possessions for us didn’t have the awareness or skill to get him the ball. He would have had a good game if he was playing at a higher level.
look, neither Himmelberg or Fog will get elevated on the back of that game, because they didn’t get enough of it. However being at the ground you could see the natural level they have compared to the rest of the players, and at some stage both will be playing league and I believe doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back