AFL 2018 - Semi Final - Collingwood v G.Western Sydney, MCG, Saturday, 7.25pm

Who will win in Pies v Giants Semi Final?

• Collingwood

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • GWS Giants

Votes: 33 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He will get called for "dangerous conduct" if he does what he did last week. I would bet my house on it.
I think you're getting too carried away with the hysteria. The reality is Christiansen said there was no case to answer. He just needs to be careful about making one single movement in the marking contest so he doesn't give away a free.

It will translate to on field free kicks and/or him not being able to do what he's done all year in the most important match of the year for him so far.. And it just happens to be against Collingwood. Or be penalised for something he hasn't been ever penalised for before in his career.

It's in the laws of the game. I don't know why it's so surprising for you.

I can quote it for you from the laws of the game charter -

"It must be emphasised that all players have a duty of care to fellow participants. Tackling, shepherding, bumping and other contested elements of the game must be conducted within acceptable bounds to protect the health, safety and welfare of players and minimise the risk of injury."

Everytime Zac Fisher from Carlton gets tackled he gets a free kick, even though the tackle is a legal tackle. The reason is because of his size, he gets thrown down easily. I don't like the fact that he gets a free kick, but the rules stipulate that a duty of care must be taken to prevent serious injury. Kicking someone in the face or groin poses the same problem. Whether we like it or not, the AFL will always be against it, because it has to do with potential contact to the head.

It's in the laws of the game. I don't know why it's so surprising for you.

I can quote it for you from the laws of the game charter -

"It must be emphasised that all players have a duty of care to fellow participants. Tackling, shepherding, bumping and other contested elements of the game must be conducted within acceptable bounds to protect the health, safety and welfare of players and minimise the risk of injury."

Everytime Zac Fisher from Carlton gets tackled he gets a free kick, even though the tackle is a legal tackle. The reason is because of his size, he gets thrown down easily. I don't like the fact that he gets a free kick, but the rules stipulate that a duty of care must be taken to prevent serious injury. Kicking someone in the face or groin poses the same problem. Whether we like it or not, the AFL will always be against it, because it has to do with potential contact to the head.
Wierd logic. Toby has never actually kicked anyone. He will continue to protect his space in the marking contest within the rules, I assure you.

I think you're getting too carried away with the hysteria. The reality is Christiansen said there was no case to answer. He just needs to be careful about making one single movement in the marking contest so he doesn't give away a free.

I'm not. I think you will find the umpires and Collingwood crowd will and a free will be paid against him for it .

Wierd logic. Toby has never actually kicked anyone. He will continue to protect his space in the marking contest within the rules, I assure you

See, it's already being justified. I can see you have never supported a team playing finals against Collingwood in a final if you have that much faith he won't be targeted by the umpires for that action with all the focus on it.

I hope you're right, that he gets to protect the space like every other player. But I have a feeling he will be treated differently to everyone else playing.

I'm not. I think you will find the umpires and Collingwood crowd will and a free will be paid against him for it .

See, it's already being justified. I can see you have never supported a team playing finals against Collingwood in a final if you have that much faith he won't be targeted by the umpires for that action with all the focus on it.

I hope you're right, that he gets to protect the space like every other player. But I have a feeling he will be treated differently to everyone else playing.
I get what you're saying. Collingwood supporters dont have to like it though. The crowd might influence 50-50's a bit, but you can bet this has been discussed with them already.

No he did not.

I honestly don't know how it cannot be a kick in the face in your opinion. It is a fly kick to the face that I am seeing. Whether you call it protecting the space or a fly kick, either way it's dangerous. Someone running full steam towards you, and you put your foot in their face with a studded boot could cause some serious damage.

btw I have no problem if it's to the body, just not the face. And not even because of concussion, studs to the face could scar someone for like on their face.

I honestly don't know how it cannot be a kick in the face in your opinion. It is a fly kick to the face that I am seeing. Whether you call it protecting the space or a fly kick, either way it's dangerous. Someone running full steam towards you, and you put your foot in their face with a studded boot could cause some serious damage.

I get you dont

But it wasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game day and the nerves are starting to kick in. I will be at the G, partly because if I watch big games on TV I keep wanting to smash things. Also the experience if a final at the G in front of a big crowd of course, :( even if they are mostly Magpie supporters.

I give us a chance today, but it 's no certainty. A couple of points:-

1. Much is made of our record at the G, but bear in mind we rarely play there. One game in 2016 and 2017 and two this year. One final last year which we lost to the Tigers.
Oddly we've played 4 of 6 finals in NSW and won 3, including two away games against the Swans. Our record is two from two losses interstate. We're definitely due to change that.
I cant see the MCG winning the game for the Magpies though, but their team could.

2. Keefe will play on Cox, there's no other reason I can imagine for bringing him in to replace Perryman, who us unlucky and had a good game last week.

3. With William's back and Whitfield back to the wing we can cover Kelly's loss better than we could earlier in the season. He's been playing wing this year as we've needed outside run.

Tomlinson can provide the run on the other wing but we might choose to use him to try and cover Grundy around the ground. Lobb will ruck but it makes sense to me for us to use him as an attacking weapon around the ground.

In that case maybe Deledio on the wing instead of the high half forward role he's played mostly this year.

4. The game will be won or lost in the fight for the ball, as most games are. The Magpies mids in particular seek the contest and relish it. We'll need to be at our best around the clearances and in general play. Our mids are good enough, but have to bring it today.

5. Toby will again be controversial, and will enjoy it. I get he'll need to be careful, if he uses his feet it has to be in a single movement with the marking attempt. We will not be sending him out there in a final with his hands tied behind his back though. We will try and isolate him one out in the forward 50 as much as possible, and let him do his thing.

With hope and prejudice I believe we will win by 4 goals.

Nice analysis. Surely Davis goes with Cox though? At least while Cox is up forward. I could understand Keefe going against him as the second ruck but who does Davis go to otherwise? Mihocek or De Goey?

Legal or not legal, putting your studs into someone’s body is a dog act. I hope Greene gets slammed if he pulls that sh*t again. I like GWS (sort of) but Greene is a cocky little prick

Back