Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 12 - Dockers v Blues Sat August 15th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No, that's not the rules.

The AFL Rules state that if the ball is kicked OOB and a free kick is awarded before that happened, the Free kick is to be taken from where the infringement happened (where Docherty was hit), OR where the ball crossed the line, whichever is the greater penalty.

So the decision was correct other than the fact Gibbons should have taken the kick.

Where does it say that? Here are the current rules: https://aflua.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020-Laws-of-Australian-Football.pdf

No, that's not the rules.

The AFL Rules state that if the ball is kicked OOB and a free kick is awarded before that happened, the Free kick is to be taken from where the infringement happened (where Docherty was hit), OR where the ball crossed the line, whichever is the greater penalty.

So the decision was correct other than the fact Gibbons should have taken the kick.
And 15m extra from goals as well.

Should have put Fyfe and Walters in the middle at the same time. Put Tabener deep and maybe Mundy in there as a second option. Could have even thrown Frederick up in the middle.. I know he's only played a few games, but he just looks lost out there, always second to the ball. He has the speed to play on a wing or even in the middle as a break away type to clear the ball. Just no creativity in this coaching.

Fyfe was killing us, and we had absolutely no answer in the first quarter.

A good 5 minute burst probably would have ended the game given how temperamental we are as a side.

But for all the on field umpires to be unaware that when it goes out on the full, the free kick returns to where the infringement occurs, it’s utterly inept.

The Rules state that the kick was to be taken from where the infringement happened, or (if the ball is out of play) from the spot where it crosses the boundary line, whichever is the worse penalty for the infringing side.

They actually got the decision correct, barring handing the ball to Newnes instead of Gibbo.

Agree. The current wording of the rule is unintelligible. I think the best interpretation is that the free kick is where the ball lands. But if the ball is kicked OOB on the full, the ball was never in bounds and never landed. Accordingly the free kick should be from where it was initially kicked.

The interpretation to me in that situation would be where the ball crosses the boundary.. is where it lands. If a guy is on a wing and kicks a 60 metre torp that lands inside 50 but out on the full, how is it fair his free kick is back on the wing? The punishment for the dump after the kick is 'where the ball lands' so that players don't snipe guys that are off balance and unprepared for impact because they have just kicked the ball. If the ball comes back to the original spot where the kicker is, then the act has gone unpunished and it will become a coaching tactic to take guys out.

Same rubbery interpretations of the rules favouring the same teams. It’s a “professional” competition being run as a sub-professional (Victorian) suburban league and that’s exactly how they like it.

Could be time to find a new sport.
I've had similar musings tonight. It's getting beyond a joke!

The Rules state that the kick was to be taken from where the infringement happened, or (if the ball is out of play) from the spot where it crosses the boundary line, whichever is the worse penalty for the infringing side.

They actually got the decision correct, barring handing the ball to Newnes instead of Gibbo.
The kick should have been at the 50m line, that’s where the ball crossed the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rule 18.1.2

18.1.2 Awarding Free Kicks

Unless otherwise stated in these Laws, a Free Kick can be awarded at any location on the Arena and shall be taken where it is awarded or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

For the avoidance of doubt, Free Kicks awarded outside the Playing Surface will be taken at the nearest location on the Boundary Line or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

The Free kick was awarded after the ball had crossed the Boundary line, so it was to be taken from the nearest location on the boundary line.

How I can describe this game - Terrible game. Terrible teams (but not as terrible as Adelaide). Terrible umpiring. Crazy finish.

And the goal of the year may be on a set shot.

The teams looked worse because the ball was slippery and hurt the skills. I thought it was a pretty fast paced game until the end when Freo tried to slow it down with too much time left.

So, the rules say it's downfield to Carlton, but not Conca?

I'm gobsmacked.

The Conca infringement was paid as he kicked it (the infringement occurred as he kicked it).

Docherties infringement was paid after he kicked it (the infringement occurred after he kicked it).

Really don’t think Fyfe and Walters are fit enough.

Both coming back from injuries.

Well that explains why they were both trapped in the forward line. Any reason Frederick isn't further up the ground? His forward presence isn't anything ground breaking right now. I feel that his abilities could be used in other areas.. even running off half back. Looks like an exciting player, but just not owning his position.

The Conca infringement was paid as he kicked it.

Docherties infringement was paid after he kicked it.
Cool. So we are talking about the two free kicks to Freo in the 1st quarter, the last one, and none of the other ones are relevant.

Actually, don't bother - this thread has entered the Twilight Zone.

I love bagging umpires as much as the next bloke and would be upset if I was Freo fan but umpiring mistakes are unavoidable parts of the game just like bad bounces or injuries.

Football is a game where there is a lot of luck involved and to be sure of getting the win you need to be 10-20% the the opposition. Freo weren’t close to that so I doubt internally they’ll be too worried about contentious umpiring decisions.

Worst administered sporting code in the world, leading directly to the worst officiated sporting code in the world.

If they don't reverse this result they arent serious. But they aren't serious..their ambition is AFLX-style entertainment. And tonight seemed totally scripted like WWE, with the Blues/Umps playing the heels.

Cool. So we are talking about the two free kicks to Freo in the 1st quarter, the last one, and none of the other ones are relevant.

Your own posters in this thread were admitting you got the rub in the first quarter, being handed 2 goals from Frees that werent there.

You asked me about the difference between Conca and Docherty. In the formers case, he was infringed as he disposed of the ball. In the latters case, the infringement occurred after he had disposed of the ball.

That's the difference.

And also the fact they set the mark at least 10 metres closer than where the ball went outside the field of play.

Back