Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 12 - Dockers v Blues Sat August 15th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I love bagging umpires as much as the next bloke and would be upset if I was Freo fan but umpiring mistakes are unavoidable parts of the game just like bad bounces or injuries.

Football is a game where there is a lot of luck involved and to be sure of getting the win you need to be 10-20% the the opposition. Freo weren’t close to that so I doubt internally they’ll be too worried about contentious umpiring decisions.
It happens to Fremantle too many times.

Umpires love to pay deliberate out of bounces when we are up by less than a kick.

We don’t get the benefit of the doubt.

Taberners deliberate can be justified for sure.

One game against the Dees, Langdon playing for Freo kicked a ball 70m towards goals and it the behind post. The umpire call deliberate. If the ball went 30cm to the left it have been a point.

Every single in close game I know the outcome of the decision before it’s made.

Sure. Rule 18.1.2 of the AFL Rules:

18.1.2 Awarding Free Kicks Unless otherwise stated in these Laws, a Free Kick can be awarded at any location on the Arena and shall be taken where it is awarded or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team. For the avoidance of doubt, Free Kicks awarded outside the Playing Surface will be taken at the nearest location on the Boundary Line or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

https://aflua.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020-Laws-of-Australian-Football.pdf

I can post, bold and underline my shopping receipt if you like. Just as relevant of what you quoted.

What has that got to do with Docherty playing on or Gibbons not taking the kick?

Absolutely nothing.

The AFL is to blame for this. Constantly changing holding the ball interpretations.

The whole rule needs an overhaul with clear guide lines on what is a free kick and what isn’t.
Why is holding the ball so hard. Prior opportunity seems pretty simple to me.

It was after the kick and clearly so. I think you're aggrieved at the wrong thing here.

Totally agree with your second point. I cancelled Kayo subscription after the debacle of last week's umpiring Carlton vs WCE and didn't even watch tonight's game. I've had enough. Watched highlights on YouTube to see what all the fuss was about, but that's all they're getting from me for a while. Game is broken and the AFL need to man up and admit it and set about finding a solution, instead of playing Iraqi general every week.
I get frustrated talking when you will stipulate one thing in Carlton's favor and then side with me on another fathom of a thought. The problem is interpretation and at a time in the match. Some of the Blues have said a first quarter goal. Anyone that played the game in a close contest knows it is won in the last quarter. I tried to be fair in my analysis. I am simply saying I do not give an F who wins the match - I am proud of our boys, and your boys. I am totally f's off at the way the umpires direct the outcome of games. It is clear as a day that 2 incorrect calls in the consistency of the match changed a low scoring game to a different outcome.

Why is holding the ball so hard. Prior opportunity seems pretty simple to me.

It’s because they went away from prior opportunity and wanted to focus on changing rules to prioritise keeping the ball moving. Rules like dragged it in/dove on it and relaxing the incorrect disposal rules have made it a nightmare for umpires to adjudicate holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least you manned up enough to admit it so fair play after you complained long and hard last week. :thumbsu:

The standard of umpiring is a complete joke. If you reinvent interpretations on a weekly basis, listening to under pressure coaches this is what you get as a code.

It's not about 'manning up', winning arguments or scoring points though... I call it as I see it and in fact did an extremely in depth look at the decisions from last week. The trolls and those ignoring my pretty reasoned postings went very quiet after that, which was no surprise. Personally, I think I totally justified every bit of criticism I had around last week. I think the West Coast-Carlton game was a shocking and totally unbalanced display of officiating and this week was also extremely poor and are prime examples of what I've been speaking to (even though I watch almost every game and there are many more examples).

To be clear, I absolutely loathe blaming umpires, but this season have been on an absolute war path against the officiating standards, which pre-dates last week, as evidenced by my thread that is on the Umpiring board and other postings. I think it is a major, major concern and speaks to the integrity, watchability and many other crucial things to do with our game. I honestly think it has reached an absolute flash point where significant upheaval and attitudinal change is required.

Fair enough. My apology. You weren’t the only one I’ve vented at. Free kicks at any time of the game if they result in goals should be heavily criticised. Freo only kicked 2 goals that aren’t from awarded frees or non decisions.

No worries mate, all good. We are pretty much in agreement with all this. I don't like it when an umpires decision detracts from the game by unduly influencing it. There have been several protected zone 50's Freo have received over the season, resulting in goals for us that left me peeved because the penalty in no way fits the infraction.
Anyway, enjoy the win.

It was after the kick and clearly so. I think you're aggrieved at the wrong thing here.

Totally agree with your second point. I cancelled Kayo subscription after the debacle of last week's umpiring Carlton vs WCE and didn't even watch tonight's game. I've had enough. Watched highlights on YouTube to see what all the fuss was about, but that's all they're getting from me for a while. Game is broken and the AFL need to man up and admit it and set about finding a solution, instead of playing Iraqi general every week.
You stopped watching footy after one shitty holding the ball call? Precious.

Been watching the reply over & over and as a neutral that would have to be the worst decision to result a game since Scott Thompson's "illegal sheppard" against Brisbane last year.
As they did then, I'm sure this week they will come out and admit it was an incorrect call.
agree, but what does it do?
they come out and say they got it wrong, but it is still Freo's season effectively ended.
They won't give them the 4 points back.
And there is no consequence for the officiating either, we will just get another bunch of hack umps to replace these incompetents, if they get rested.

Still think Freo was the better team on the night but it was 0.001 either way.

If you want to win the game you have to be better than that. Bad call but they happen and you really notice them when you are three points up with seconds to go. So FFS don't be there.

Winning the flag this year was already stupidly remote and so I can only hope this is the sort of game that gets everyone to 'buy in' especially the young players.

I get frustrated talking when you will stipulate one thing in Carlton's favor and then side with me on another fathom of a thought. The problem is interpretation and at a time in the match. Some of the Blues have said a first quarter goal. Anyone that played the game in a close contest knows it is won in the last quarter. I tried to be fair in my analysis. I am simply saying I do not give an F who wins the match - I am proud of our boys, and your boys. I am totally f's off at the way the umpires direct the outcome of games. It is clear as a day that 2 incorrect calls in the consistency of the match changed a low scoring game to a different outcome.

Of course first quarter goals get mentioned by Carlton posters. It's recency bias to place precedence over an error at the end of a match to an error at the start. Both are errors that influence the result. And yes, I do not agree with your thinking that the contact with Docherty came during his kick. It was clearly after. Conca's in the back was as he was kicking. It consistently plays out like this every week.

As I said, aggrieved at the wrong thing IMO. The deliberate was 50/50 at best. Maybe he deliberately hit it out, maybe he was trying to tap to his own advantage. I reckon umps need to give players the benefit of the doubt and just let these go. The free downfield was there IMO, but should've been taken further out and given to Gibbons not Newnes. That's my take anyway.

It’s because they went away from prior opportunity and wanted to focus on changing rules to prioritise keeping the ball moving. Rules like dragged it in/dove on it and relaxing the incorrect disposal rules have made it a nightmare for umpires to adjudicate holding the ball.
The umpires might have, but I think they were supposed to limit prior opportunity. Trouble is the umpires don't appear to be very bright.

Back