Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 14 - Port v Cats Thurs June 15th 7:40pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit I slagged him off late in the last quarter for not doing much - no wonder he was struggling!

But, on the other side of things, why the bloody hell would he stay on the ground? Crazy, especially considering the state of the game post the third quarter.

I agree. In fact, the moment he hurt himself it was an unusual reaction as though he'd been shot in the back so the doctors would have reacted to that if they saw the vision.

Dangerfield doing his old fake an injury trick to show how tough he is.
The reactions to this are a bit sad to be honest.

Went to hospital. Collapsed lung and cracked rib

hard to say it as a crows fan but Port looking the real deal all off the back of that young talented running midfield. Teams need to work out how to slow their run and link play down as that imo is the key to beating them..but for the last 11 games, no one has been able to do it for a full game
Geelong did it in patches by playing a slower uncontested style. They chipped the ball around and found little holes in our zone.

The main issue for them was that they couldn't win the clearances, which meant they couldn't get their hands on the ball to then slow it down, and when they did get the ball in their defensive half, we were able to squeeze them and pressure them into dump kicking long and taking an intercept mark.

No wonder Horne-Francis gets booed. Always ******* ducking and diving his head through
His head was already down, he was collecting the ball. What he did do is turn his body - but what would have happened if he didn't turn his body? He gets hit across the chops.

If he drops his height, then sure - we can have the ducking and diving argument. This wasn't it.

Geelong did it in patches by playing a slower uncontested style. They chipped the ball around and found little holes in our zone.

The main issue for them was that they couldn't win the clearances, which meant they couldn't get their hands on the ball to then slow it down, and when they did get the ball in their defensive half, we were able to squeeze them and pressure them into dump kicking long and taking an intercept mark.
I am very much looking forward to the next showdown. Both sides play a fast attacking style and I know this will sound bias, but I think we have a side that might be able to get on top of port at home as while port bat deeper in the middle, I think we have the weaponry up front to really hurt them our defense at home has looked quite strong..I will be there and hoping it plays out that way anyway

posted before the game I thought the midfield difference (ie Ports is better than ours) would be the difference and it was. We held up for a bit thanks to bad kicking but eventually the weight of quality possession showed.

That Rozee bloke is quite annoying for an opposition fan. Has become a dominant player.

I am very much looking forward to the next showdown. Both sides play a fast attacking style and I know this will sound bias, but I think we have a side that might be able to get on top of port at home as while port bat deeper in the middle, I think we have the weaponry up front to really hurt them our defense at home has looked quite strong..I will be there and hoping it plays out that way anyway
Rounds 19 and 20 are exactly what Port needs, in the lead up to September. Both should be cracking contests.

posted before the game I thought the midfield difference (ie Ports is better than ours) would be the difference and it was. We held up for a bit thanks to bad kicking but eventually the weight of quality possession showed.

Losing two midfielders hurt.
People say Bruhn is a VFL player but he's played 40 games and is 21 years of age.
Last night he looked like he was going to play the best game of his career with 12 early disposals and a couple of clearances. Does his shoulder and will probably spend a few weeks on the sidelines.

All things considered, Geelong simply can't get any continuity. This is when the coach has to experiment. The season is on the line.
Atkins was hot garbage. Duncan, Blicavs, Holmes are the main three and then we need to find something out of the blue. I keep calling for Jack Henry to get some time on the ball. See if he can create a bit of havoc with that big body of his and create some clearances.

I also haven't seen this in Collingwood yet.
Perhaps Port Adelaide are the premiership favourite?

Two different game styles, so it's hard to calculate which style will get the job done.

Most finals are played with high intensity and high pressure. Probably suits the way Port has built their side up.

Collingwood on the other hand have the players and tools to break the game wide open and push through our high defence structures. The MCG works well for them with the wide wings to spread the opposition defense and create holes to hit targets.

how could this not be a sell out? 2nd versus reigning premier with Port on a 10 game winning streak
For information Port was missing the supporter from these areas in which Thursday night isn't good: -

Port Pirie Supporters - 229km (2.30hrs) from the game
Port Augusta Supporters - 308km (3.25hrs) from the game
Whyalla Supporters - 385km (4.30hrs) from the game
Port Lincoln Supporters - 650km (7hrs) from the game
- (Port are heavily supported in this area from the Port Magpies drafting days - this area got them greats like Greg Phillips)

Port in 2016 got there heartland back via the AFL distribution zones (Eyre Peninsula & Le Fevre Peninsula)

Renmark / Loxton / Berri - 243km (3hrs from the game)
- Port is supported in these areas as a result of Russell Ebert (and the SANFL holds a Port match their for the Port fans since his passing)

Fans from these areas can make most of the weekend Port games (all Saturday games & early Sunday games)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how could this not be a sell out? 2nd versus reigning premier with Port on a 10 game winning streak

Its a bit like most clubs that bang on about their membership numbers, but their attendances are much lower.

Lets look at your club for an example, 50k members but average home crowd against interstate teams is pretty poor.

R1 West Coast Docklands 21274
R10 Sydney Docklands 21003

R9 Port Adelaide Bellerive Oval 6310
R13 Greater Western Sydney 5025

R8 St Kilda Docklands 22065

Where is the other 30k gone?

For information Port was missing the supporter from these areas in which Thursday night isn't good: -

- (Port are heavily supported in this area from the Port Magpies drafting days - this area got them greats like Greg Phillips)

Port in 2016 got there heartland back via the AFL distribution zones (Eyre Peninsula & Le Fevre Peninsula)

- Port is supported in these areas as a result of Russell Ebert (and the SANFL holds a Port match their for the Port fans since his passing)

Fans from these areas can make most of the weekend Port games (all Saturday games & early Sunday games)
Yet as a comparison, Richmond supporters don’t want to make the long trek to…. checks notes …. Docklands.

Get well Danger, collapsed lung is scary stuff. Dippa playing with one in the 89 GF doped up to his eyeballs was just stupid he could've easily gone into cardiac arrest.

Losing two midfielders hurt.
People say Bruhn is a VFL player but he's played 40 games and is 21 years of age.
Last night he looked like he was going to play the best game of his career with 12 early disposals and a couple of clearances. Does his shoulder and will probably spend a few weeks on the sidelines.

All things considered, Geelong simply can't get any continuity. This is when the coach has to experiment. The season is on the line.
Atkins was hot garbage. Duncan, Blicavs, Holmes are the main three and then we need to find something out of the blue. I keep calling for Jack Henry to get some time on the ball. See if he can create a bit of havoc with that big body of his and create some clearances.
Like Port last year, with all our collision injuries.

Its gonna be a long ride hope your still enjoying it in 6 years time
Didn't bother listening to you argue with someone else last night. Why would I start now? Am I meant to care what prediction you may have.

The Tan misses you.
Ciao.

Didn't bother listening to you argue with someone else last night. Why would I start now? Am I meant to care what prediction you may have.

The Tan misses you.
Ciao.
images

Its a bit like most clubs that bang on about their membership numbers, but their attendances are much lower.

Lets look at your club for an example, 50k members but average home crowd against interstate teams is pretty poor.

R1 West Coast Docklands 21274
R10 Sydney Docklands 21003

R9 Port Adelaide Bellerive Oval 6310
R13 Greater Western Sydney 5025

R8 St Kilda Docklands 22065

Where is the other 30k gone?

You guys are missing the point.
We've been the worst team in the comp for 4 years, almost no one is coming to our games. And we're traditionally a low crowd pulling team any way.

Port have been one of the stronger teams in recent years, but this year in particular, and last night specifically, was a game for top spot against last years premiers to win 11 straight. Given the occasion, the rarity and the importance of it, I would have expected it to be a full house / sell out, but it wasn't.

that's a decent response.
Surely though there are 50,000 Port supporters living in the Adelaide metro area that could have filled the stadium? Actually not even 50K Port supporters, as some would be Cats and neutrals.

Two different game styles, so it's hard to calculate which style will get the job done.

Most finals are played with high intensity and high pressure. Probably suits the way Port has built their side up.

Collingwood on the other hand have the players and tools to break the game wide open and push through our high defence structures. The MCG works well for them with the wide wings to spread the opposition defense and create holes to hit targets.

Port are definitely playing a finals style.

They are also clearly the June premiers :cool:

Back