Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 21 - Saints v Blues Sun August 6th 3:20pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

St-Kilda-vs-Carlton.png

5th v 7th

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 21
ST KILDA V CARLTON
SUNDAY AUGUST 6TH 3:20PM EST (MARVEL)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams
SAINTS

B: Z.Cordy, C.Wilkie, J.Webster
HB: J.Battle, J.Sinclair, N.Wanganeen-Milera
C: R.Byrnes, M.Owens, M.Wood
HF: J.Higgins, B.Hill, M.Phillipou
F: D.Butler, A.Caminiti, C.Sharman
FOLL: R.Marshall, J.Steele - C, B.Crouch

I/C (FROM): H.Clark, L.Stocker, J.Billings, M.Windhager, J.Gresham, M.King, J.Hayes, T.Membrey

IN: B.Hill, M.King, J.Hayes, T.Membrey
OUT: Z.Jones (Injured)

BLUES
B: B.Kemp, J.Weitering, N.Newman
HB: A.Cincotta, C.Marchbank, A.Saad
C: S.Docherty, P.Cripps - C, O.Hollands
HF: J.Martin, T.De Koning, D.Cuningham
F: L.Fogarty, C.Curnow, M.Owies
FOLL: M.Pittonet, G.Hewett, B.Acres

I/C (FROM): Z.Fisher, P.Dow, M.Cottrell, J.Motlop, E.Curnow, S.Durdin, J.Binns, J.Honey

IN: Z.Fisher, E.Curnow, S.Durdin, J.Binns, J.Honey
OUT: A.Cerra (Injured), M.McGovern (Injured)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:

If the Saints play like they did last weekend and we get a shootout then it's Carlton by 10+ goals.

But I expect it will be an ugly Ross Lyon style game, St Kilda will hardly score, and 12 goals will be all it takes for Carlton to get the points.

Blues will win despite our injuries growing.

Too strong across the ground for the Saints.

Carlton’s game style has changed completely since we last played - our points for has doubled over the past six weeks.

Can’t say saints match up well either - 9 different Carlton players will take the field this week compared to the last game.

Saints lucky to win against West Coast and North - streaky win against another bottom 4 side last weekend.

Carlton x 45.

Easy when you have played four of the five bottom sides in 6 weeks. Then an undermanned Port and an heavily assisted win against Collingwood.
Ok so how do you account for the mighty saints scores over the past few weeks, including bottom sides

Vs West Coast scored 85 pts
Vs Melb scored 58 pts
Vs Suns scored 51 pts
Vs North scored 59 pts
vs Hawks scored 123 pts

Your average an amazing 75 pts scored including 4 OF THE BOTTOM 5 TEAMS.

(inflated by your sporadic performance against 16th placed Hawthorn).

Doesn’t really hold up does it :).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy when you have played four of the five bottom sides in 6 weeks. Then an undermanned Port and an heavily assisted win against Collingwood.
Round 13 - Suns - 11th (a win would've put them in the 8) +59pts (Blues were 15th)
Round 16 - Hawks - 16th +60pts (Blues were 15th)
Round 17 - Freo - 11th (a win would've put them in the 8) +53pts (Blues were 14th)
Round 18 - Port - 2nd +50pts (Blues were 11th) - everyone said it was because Port made 7 changes and were missing half their side (it was maybe 3 best 22 players)
Round 19 - Eagles - 18th +71pts (Blues were 10th) - not much to say here, but at least we're putting away the sides we should be (Saints only beat them by 8pts and trailed for most of the game)
Round 20 - Pies - 1st +17pts (Blues were 9th) - full strength Pies. Blues made 6 changes and were missing 4-5 best 22 (apparently reasons why Port lost) and lost the best player on the ground halfway through the game.
Heavily assisted? Did you watch the game? Score in the 1st half flattered the Pies, as they were heavily assisted (check the gameday thread, as most neutrals agreed). Yes, Curnow got 5 frees, but they were all there. Pies just couldn't defend him legally. They had the luxury of rotating Moore and Murphy on him and double teaming him because we didn't have McKay or Silvagni up forward to take some pressure off.

Essendon were sitting 3rd and undefeated when you beat them in round 3. They also spent a fair amount of time in the 8 (18 rounds). Is your win against them in round 3 now worthless because they're 13th? Of course you beat them in round 3, you played a 13th placed side...

So we've beaten 1st, 2nd, 2 x 11th placed sides who were fighting for a spot in the 8 when we were 3-4 spots below them on the ladder, and two bottom sides.

Meanwhile, Saints last 3 wins have been against Hawks, North and Eagles (bottom 3 sides) by a combined 45 points and you lost to one of those "bottom 5" sides that we beat by more than your last 3 combined wins.

I still consider this a 50/50 danger game, but the form of both sides indicates that we should win it.

Don't think the Saints have beaten a side in the eight, that's in the eight when they played them, just grind out wins against low ranked sides. Saints won't win again this season.

Blues by plenty

This is the same guy who said he doesn't know why we're up and about because Collingwood were "tired" and Port were "missing 10 players". Hahaha.

Ok so how do you account for the mighty saints scores over the past few weeks, including bottom sides

Vs West Coast scored 85 pts
Vs Melb scored 58 pts
Vs Suns scored 51 pts
Vs North scored 59 pts
vs Hawks scored 123 pts

Your average an amazing 75 pts scored including 4 OF THE BOTTOM 5 TEAMS.

(inflated by your sporadic performance against 16th placed Hawthorn).

Doesn’t really hold up does it :).
But I'm not running around over inflating my average club. Big difference there champ.

Not at all, As a Saints fan I don't get ahead of myself, the 2009 and 2010 Grand finals were lost because of arrogance.

I know the Saints are a little better than average and have a long way to go before contending. Can't say the same about certain Blues fans who should be gun shy from last year. Didn't Saints beat ypu late in season and that contributed to you missing finals.

The word of the week for Blues fans should be humility.
We've won 6 in a row, including vs #1 and #2. You'd be doing the same thing were you in our position, Naruto.

Back