Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patch is great. It seems BA know exactly what they have to do. The slower pace, the scrappier play, it's slowly coming together.

Still have raging torrents of feedback but it's starting to feel like feedback for the next one. More complex tackling and marking with clearer risk / reward (e.g. stacks on or keep a player free; go for a speccy or call a player to rove the back etc), make it feel like you're controlling a partially acrobatic ninja with 'real' physics for the ball and player collisions instead of micro QTEs to trigger the right animation. It's all AFL games have ever done, and I don't envy the task, but hopefully BA can be the studio that takes the core of the gameplay itself to the next level. Probably a convo for another time.

As for now, I reckon the priority is -> i) better tackling, especially chase downs from behind which is looks like you're sneaking up on a friend to give them a hug and ii) the floating ball / ball on a string stuff - it's nudging it's way to the top of the list. Have a doozy to upload in the morning.

All that aside, great patch, loving the ride.

Last edited:
The game has always been fun, just had elements of frustration from time to time. We all want it to improve and get better over time, which it has done.

Similar to certain past game that shall remain nameless I've been able to emulate real life passages of play in the game - such as....

Isaac Smiths long bomb goal from the 2013 grand final.
Luke Bruests goal after the boundary tap in from the 2013 grand final
Luke Hodges intercept plus goal from a kick in, in the 2014 grand final.
A variation of the goal Hodge kicked in the 2015 grand final
Dom Sheeds match winning goal from the 2018 grand final

Among countless other running and chain linking plays.

Once the attacking side of things is finally sorted. I'd love to see the defensive side nailed down more. Its currently a lot easier to tackle, but the rewards for doing so aren't there (incorrect disposal does get called, but I rarely see a ball up or a holding the ball call when I tackle its like the umpire puts the whistle away).

The game has always been fun, just had elements of frustration from time to time. We all want it to improve and get better over time, which it has done.

Similar to certain past game that shall remain nameless I've been able to emulate real life passages of play in the game - such as....

Isaac Smiths long bomb goal from the 2013 grand final.
Luke Bruests goal after the boundary tap in from the 2013 grand final
Luke Hodges intercept plus goal from a kick in, in the 2014 grand final.
A variation of the goal Hodge kicked in the 2015 grand final
Dom Sheeds match winning goal from the 2018 grand final

Among countless other running and chain linking plays.

Once the attacking side of things is finally sorted. I'd love to see the defensive side nailed down more. Its currently a lot easier to tackle, but the rewards for doing so aren't there (incorrect disposal does get called, but I rarely see a ball up or a holding the ball call when I tackle its like the umpire puts the whistle away).
Man Iā€™d love to emulate the 2020 grand final where Dusty intercepts a handball, makes Danger look like a little bi*ch, turns and slots it from the boundary!

Mainly the making Danger look like a little bi*ch though!

Man Iā€™d love to emulate the 2020 grand final where Dusty intercepts a handball, makes Danger look like a little bi*ch, turns and slots it from the boundary!

Mainly the making Danger look like a little bi*ch though!

AFL games have come a long way..... with AFL '98 the best thing I could do there was a long run along the wing, then bombing it to goal from the 50m line (like St Kilda's Austinn Jones at the time).

I got the kick off way before the animation says I did and still got tackled :(

Also this is one that I posted about since Tuesday night, the replay looks 'natural' but the LIVE game play. The replay makes it look like a natural ball drop and gather motion, but playing "live" it's like a "faster" version of the stuck in mud glitch/bug.

* A few invisible walls still exist, I was unable to get to a contest on the defending half because the game simply wouldn't let me - even though there was empty/open space, no opponents blocking me to where the ball was.

** Pace of the game has slowed down, but the AI is still prone to speeding up faster than human opponents.

Last edited:
Iā€™m confused about which side each post isā€¦
As this meter fills right to left, the first post it passes is which post (when facing the goals)?
Same here, in the heat of battle it's tricky to make that instant inference. A vertical meter for those playing side-on could be useful?

Edit: Hadn't seen Ross's replies. Will keep that in mind when I play tonight and see if it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mine does this EVERY time a new patch is released (end up having to ctrl alt delete to get out of it) but it's good to go after the second start up

I rotate between medium, hard and hardest :)

Haha well your a better player than I, I only just graduated myself to hard and get absolutely pantsed every game. Back to medium I go

most of the mid-season players haven't trained at their new club yet, let alone had time to be face-scanned hahaha
they'll still be on their respective squads in the lower tier I think
They don't even have numbers allocated by their teams yet.

Well if it makes you feel any better the one and only online game I played, I lost by nearly 200 points. So I'm not that good :( :p

Hahah yes it does, Iā€™ve given online one crack so far, played a kid with his mic on and every ruck Contest, marking contest basically anything I could hear him mashing away at the controller. Safe to say I was winning 80 to 0 in the second quarter and he rage quit

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Genuinely tempted with work being so quiet today, to see if I can get out an hour or two early so I can test out that giant patch from last night!

Wasnā€™t it mid-late June though?
The text I got from EB (still the only official communication) says "AFL 23 on XBOX has an updated release date of early June".

Even if it was mid/late June I would've thought there'd be some movement in messaging/stock sightings.

I got the kick off way before the animation says I did and still got tackled :(

Also this is one that I posted about since Tuesday night, the replay looks 'natural' but the LIVE game play. The replay makes it look like a natural ball drop and gather motion, but playing "live" it's like a "faster" version of the stuck in mud glitch/bug.

* A few invisible walls still exist, I was unable to get to a contest on the defending half because the game simply wouldn't let me - even though there was empty/open space, no opponents blocking me to where the ball was.

** Pace of the game has slowed down, but the AI is still prone to speeding up faster than human opponents.

How many times per game do things like this happen on average? The 100m handballs too.

Is single player affected?

For people lodging tickets, has there been any acknowledgement from Big Ant that these issues exist/are reproducible, and that they're working on fixes?

Same with management mode, All-Australian etc which all still sound broken.

Had a few games this morning. My thoughts:
  • new on-the-run goal meterā€¦ very good for the visual feedbackā€¦ also fills according to footedness (left footer it fills left to right, matching the swing a left footer would have, and vice versa). Only gripe is when players kick on their opposite, it still does their preferred foot fill direction.
  • players sometimes wonā€™t sprint when I need them to. The game seems to predetermine who will get to the ball first, and it stops you from sprinting there.
  • canā€™t tackle in the centre bounce contests against AI. Theyā€™re too quick.
  • set shots are hard. Iā€™m still getting used to it. Players like King and Membrey have a huge and unpredictable arc, while Windhager is almost always dead straight.
  • set shot goal meter hangs around, makes the radar disappear at times too.
  • hit the post may result in play on. Saw this in Michaels stream last night too, and had it once in my games.

So a few kinks to iron out, but another push in the right direction.

For people lodging tickets, has there been any acknowledgement from Big Ant that these issues exist/are reproducible, and that they're working on fixes?
Yes, pretty much every ticket has them acknowledging and stating whether theyā€™ve seen it before, itā€™s a first, or if they need more info.
Very good communications from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back