Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen some great country footy teams created for this, can these be used in a season mode? Not management but season or if you try and use any custom teams that Chuckinho has created are you just playing single games?
You can use custom teams in season mode and even create custom leagues/tournaments.

On a similar note, I get why custom teams can’t be used online but it’s a shame we can’t use custom guernseys online to “show off” these creations (maybe pro team will give us an avenue of some sort for this).

I wouldn't say that it's vanished, it doesn't happen as often but I still get stuck and/or have player stutter issues which results in being tackled when I wouldn't lose the ball if it didn't occur.

Weirdest for me is still a teleporting ball, like you or your opponent could be on the ground with the ball. And out of nowhere the play continues with another player running off with ball in hand, despite never seeing the ball ownership change. Even the replay doesn't show the ball moving from the ground to the player that now has it.
I'm on PS5 and whilst the stuck in the mud has eased, I still get patches where I'm running the ball down the wing, launch towards 50 and my forwards just take a second too long to start running towards it (TBF - it could just be superior coding as that's the Hawthorn experience in real life). By then, the opposition has 2-3 blokes close in on it and it's almost impossible for me to extract. Frustrating but it helps me not blow teams away and keeps you locked in. Had a cracking 5 minute quarter clash with Gold Coast that I won 17.3 to 13.4 and still haven't touched the sliders.

Game still has a few bugs in it, but recent updates these last 3-4 weeks have really improved the game. It's not 100% but I've certainly stuck with it a lot more than I did with FIFA, which at this stage is arguably more of a buggy mess than this. Has a ton more features of course but a stack of bugs to come with it.

You can use custom teams in season mode and even create custom leagues/tournaments.

On a similar note, I get why custom teams can’t be used online but it’s a shame we can’t use custom guernseys online to “show off” these creations (maybe pro team will give us an avenue of some sort for this).

They'd need to find a way of censoring those quite hard to keep in line with the AFL's PG / family stance. Kids playing with swear words, offensive images etc. would be a disaster and I don't know if their filtering is quite as detailed as 2K or EA could use. I can already see "Benoits Roid-Ragers" or "Wayne Carey's Snowmen" being created etc.

They'd need to find a way of censoring those quite hard to keep in line with the AFL's PG / family stance. Kids playing with swear words, offensive images etc. would be a disaster and I don't know if their filtering is quite as detailed as 2K or EA could use. I can already see "Benoits Roid-Ragers" or "Wayne Carey's Snowmen" being created etc.
They’ll have to have that sorted for pro team.
Licensed current day players and legends in custom teams seems like a censorship nightmare.

I had a better chance over the weekend to tinker with the sliders properly and try get a better replication of footy and while I think the game is in its most playable state, there’s still just glaring issues that sliders can’t solve. There’s still marking, turning & notable sprinting errors especially the latter where players stop on a dime even with sprint held down. The goal kick on the run animation also actually doesnt show a boot connect to the footy as its dropped 5m to the side of the player. Its better but I’m not dropping a cent towards Pro Team. Sliders shouldnt be the saving grace in my opinion.

I wouldn't say that it's vanished, it doesn't happen as often but I still get stuck and/or have player stutter issues which results in being tackled when I wouldn't lose the ball if it didn't occur.

Weirdest for me is still a teleporting ball, like you or your opponent could be on the ground with the ball. And out of nowhere the play continues with another player running off with ball in hand, despite never seeing the ball ownership change. Even the replay doesn't show the ball moving from the ground to the player that now has it.
It's still the most glitchiest and worst user controlled experiences I've had in gaming, even with the patches it hasn't solved the issue, just slightly tweaked it, so the game isn't as broken as its release day. I'm actually surprised people are praising it, because the lack of responsiveness and players moving into positions you're not commanding almost makes it unplayable when compared to other video games, sports games or even other AFL games. I still see a mountain of glaring issues even on recent YouTube gameplay footage. The sport requires precision movement, this game is the antithesis of that and doesn't allow for it. I'm not sure what's going on with the development team, if they're directed not to QA test it properly or if their hands are tied and they can't fix it since it's fundamentally broken?

I had a better chance over the weekend to tinker with the sliders properly and try get a better replication of footy and while I think the game is in its most playable state, there’s still just glaring issues that sliders can’t solve. There’s still marking, turning & notable sprinting errors especially the latter where players stop on a dime even with sprint held down. The goal kick on the run animation also actually doesnt show a boot connect to the footy as its dropped 5m to the side of the player. Its better but I’m not dropping a cent towards Pro Team. Sliders shouldnt be the saving grace in my opinion.
My big issue with the game is how my A.I teammates move. If I'm standing on the mark there's often a teammate who comes in and just stands off to the side, players will peel off and leave their opponents wide open when the other team takes a mark, during play I've noticed teammates will often get so close to me that I can't handball to them because they'll get tackled by the same guy that's chasing me, then sometimes I'll get tackled and the ball will slip out and there's always an opposition player to come in and collect with nobody on him. Maybe sliders will help with some of this stuff but the A.I teammates seem almost designed to work against you.

My big issue with the game is how my A.I teammates move. If I'm standing on the mark there's often a teammate who comes in and just stands off to the side, players will peel off and leave their opponents wide open when the other team takes a mark, during play I've noticed teammates will often get so close to me that I can't handball to them because they'll get tackled by the same guy that's chasing me, then sometimes I'll get tackled and the ball will slip out and there's always an opposition player to come in and collect with nobody on him. Maybe sliders will help with some of this stuff but the A.I teammates seem almost designed to work against you.
The opposition AI even acts off, where there's a loose ball and they don't even go for it, or they don't pressure the opposition ball carrier because they're stuck following their opponent. This is when you have "tactical awareness" for AI at 100. There's a lot of open space and strange formations that don't represent modern AFL, too.

Yeah I’ve noticed this too. Again, the sliders seem to minimise some of these actions but not all of them. I still find a lot of random moments when after taking a mark, teammates/opponents tend to just huddle in the same 3 spots up the ground and disperse in a very linear formation. Also the stupid catch-up exists still too.

It's still the most glitchiest and worst user controlled experiences I've had in gaming, even with the patches it hasn't solved the issue, just slightly tweaked it, so the game isn't as broken as its release day. I'm actually surprised people are praising it, because the lack of responsiveness and players moving into positions you're not commanding almost makes it unplayable when compared to other video games, sports games or even other AFL games. I still see a mountain of glaring issues even on recent YouTube gameplay footage. The sport requires precision movement, this game is the antithesis of that and doesn't allow for it. I'm not sure what's going on with the development team, if they're directed not to QA test it properly or if their hands are tied and they can't fix it since it's fundamentally broken?
For me, I think it’s the fact that the game was one of the worst AFL games ever released. To go from that to what it is now is the main reason people like myself now ‘praise’ it. I’m not saying it’s a great game, but it’s gone from one of the worst games I’ve ever played to a fun experience when you play it sparingly.

There’s a plethora of issues that won’t get fixed in this version unfortunately. Can only hope AFL25 does it better, not that I have the confidence considering BigAnts launches, but we’ll see

Something else I've noticed from playing it too often - wouldn't say it's stuck in mud or the stutter in mud effect. But I'll now coin it the Flintstone run or the Road Runner running effect

g3dF.gif
9e1276c040229e672ca238f24204a30d.gif

Quite often with a mark or gaining the ball while on the run - the player stops, and it's like they're preparing to turn the afterburners on (the running legs animation happens, but you stay in the "stuck" position while seeing their legs RUNNNNNN). I noticed this occur a lot when both teams had the indigenous guernseys on.

Oh and I have my own little cheat code going - I'm now running diagonal when the opposition comes at me straight on. Avoids being tackled and "incorrect disposal/holding the ball" from happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something else I've noticed from playing it too often - wouldn't say it's stuck in mud or the stutter in mud effect. But I'll now coin it the Flintstone run or the Road Runner running effect

g3dF.gif
9e1276c040229e672ca238f24204a30d.gif

Quite often with a mark or gaining the ball while on the run - the player stops, and it's like they're preparing to turn the afterburners on (the running legs animation happens, but you stay in the "stuck" position while seeing their legs RUNNNNNN). I noticed this occur a lot when both teams had the indigenous guernseys on.

Oh and I have my own little cheat code going - I'm now running diagonal when the opposition comes at me straight on. Avoids being tackled and "incorrect disposal/holding the ball" from happening.
You mean the animation skip? I documented that a year ago.

You mean the animation skip? I documented that a year ago.

Not quite and yes I took many videos of the same thing over the last year as well

What I'm trying to say is that I see the animation of the player running (kinda like stuck in mud - but with the running animation being shown) - so the player is running at full pace...... like when you have Sonic on one of those spinning platforms
d9uext9-11dc1045-2b24-45b8-8b02-9b41210c7722.gif
and you have the legs running in motion..... but the player is basically running on the spot.

My definition of stuck in mud is when the player freezes for a few seconds and no directional input fixes it until it undoes itself.

I haven't been able to replicate what I saw recently. Closest was some animation jitter.

Last edited:
Not quite and yes I took many videos of the same thing over the last year as well

What I'm trying to say is that I see the animation of the player running (kinda like stuck in mud - but with the running animation being shown) - so the player is running at full pace...... like when you have Sonic on one of those spinning platforms
d9uext9-11dc1045-2b24-45b8-8b02-9b41210c7722.gif
and you have the legs running in motion..... but the player is basically running on the spot.

My definition of stuck in mud is when the player freezes for a few seconds and no directional input fixes it until it undoes itself.

I haven't been able to replicate what I saw recently. Closest was some animation jitter.
You mean running into an invisible wall? I was still having players running on the spot and then sprinting way too fast after in the current patch. I've seen that and teleportation of players and the ball on other peoples recent gameplay video, too.

The whole situation is just mindblowing how broken and glitched the game, when no other AFL game, at least from the PS3 era and beyond didn't have these significant control issues or these glitches/bugs/crashes until 23. I really do wonder if it's the custom engine they're using, the programmers have to maintenance that instead of working on the game. Should have just used a preexisting engine like WW did with Unreal Engine 4.

Last edited:
You mean running into an invisible wall? I was still having players running on the spot and then sprinting way too fast after in the current patch. I've seen that and teleportation of players and the ball on other peoples recent gameplay video, too.

The whole situation is just mindblowing how broken and glitched the game, when no other AFL game, at least from the PS3 era and beyond didn't have these significant control issues or these glitches/bugs/crashes until 23. I really do wonder if it's the custom engine they're using, the programmers have to maintenance that instead of working on the game. Should have just used a preexisting engine like WW did with Unreal Engine 4.

Do you just plug in the same prompt to chat gpt and then post every time? Literally the same commentary on repeat for 12 months haha

least now, they still have a half decent base game here to work with for a next instalment.
Not 23, it's likely completely broken and would need to be completely redone. Live 2011 would have the best "base game" to build on, because everything functioned and worked at a basic level like user commands.

Do you just plug in the same prompt to chat gpt and then post every time? Literally the same commentary on repeat for 12 months haha
Yeah... I hyper fixate on things myself but even I would like to think I don't go on about the same things for that long...

It's honestly part of why I moved on from the thread myself. Same old issues get talked about, Same old issues don't get fixed, Repeat. XD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back