AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

That Football Park upgrade is cringeworthy.

I admit at the time I was for it and against the AO upgrade. I was wrong.

Got to admit Demetriou and Foley had a great vision in driving this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We were also used as pawns in this saga as well hence why the SANFL were pushing heavily behind the scenes for us to the build Trigg's white elephant.

They thought that if the AFC invested in the precinct that it would shore up Footy Park's future against increasing pressure for the SANFL to move to a more central location.

Thankfully Foley and Vlad had the vision an balls to stand up to the SANFL otherwise we'd still be stuck down at West Lakes.

We were also used as pawns in this saga as well hence why the SANFL were pushing heavily behind the scenes for us to the build Trigg's white elephant.

They thought that if the AFC invested in the precinct that it would shore up Footy Park's future against increasing pressure for the SANFL to move to a more central location.

Thankfully Foley and Vlad had the vision an balls to stand up to the SANFL otherwise we'd still be stuck down at West Lakes.

Giving Foley a hell of a lot of unearned credit.

Came to the party very late

So many people I knew were against upgrading AO, I remember those ‘save AAMI Stadium’ protests on the news at the time...

I was always for the AO upgrade, no brainer to have AFL and cricket at the same venue.

If the roofed Stadium where the NRAH is was made instead, AO would be in the same situation the WACA finds itself at the moment in Perth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting in the sports section Australia's women's 2023 world cup bid would want Adelaide Oval to be one of the main stadiums in hosting games. This would mean the ground would need to be upgraded and the western stand redone to comply with FIFA facility standards. At the moment the viewing distance is to far from the ground and would need to be redone similar to the eastern stand. Hopefully if the upgrade was to happen they build a new proper western stand, not just some stop gap to comply with FIFA

I was for the Etihad Stadium (Telstra Dome back then) style dedicated AFL stadium at the time, and against the AO upgrade. Think either would've been fine, but FP had had its day
Wasn't it the Liberals' idea to build that stadium that spurred Foley to come up with an alternative so they could win the election?
Either way the AO upgrade has been fantastic, looking forward to the riverbank upgrade for even more nightlife near the stadium

Interesting in the sports section Australia's women's 2023 world cup bid would want Adelaide Oval to be one of the main stadiums in hosting games. This would mean the ground would need to be upgraded and the western stand redone to comply with FIFA facility standards. At the moment the viewing distance is to far from the ground and would need to be redone similar to the eastern stand. Hopefully if the upgrade was to happen they build a new proper western stand, not just some stop gap to comply with FIFA

I’m all for a Western Grandstand redevelopment, would be absolutely brilliant!

I’m all for a Western Grandstand redevelopment, would be absolutely brilliant!

But need to keep the heritage elements

So many people I knew were against upgrading AO, I remember those ‘save AAMI Stadium’ protests on the news at the time...

I was always for the AO upgrade, no brainer to have AFL and cricket at the same venue.

If the roofed Stadium where the NRAH is was made instead, AO would be in the same situation the WACA finds itself at the moment in Perth.

Agreed. Also by the mid-late 2000's you had a mismash of heritage (scoreboard, western stands) and poorly designed modern stands (Bradman/Chappell Stands) and a very cheap video scoreboard (which rammed home why the SANFL opted for a Panasonic screen instead of a Clipsal screen), and with the Western Stand development going to happen, AO was ripe for a full redevelopment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time ever a bar/cafeteria was closed behind Bay 533 on the weekend?

Anyone else notice similar?

WTF, we aren’t Port. We had 44k there, are the SMA that short of a quid that they are going to close some bar outlets?

For the first time ever a bar/cafeteria was closed behind Bay 533 on the weekend?

WTF, we aren’t Port. We had 44k there, are the SMA that short of a quid that they are going to close some bar outlets?

Crowd full of Beryls + Sunday twilight = loss for SMA

The food only outlets up the top tier generally close after half time.
But I’ve never noticed any of the three alcoholic ones.

Was our Sunday twilight vs GWS crowd was bigger than Port power fc had for their only final in a few years on a Saturday night against West Coast last year?
You guys actually did, 41172 for the Port elimination final

A Port fan coming on here telling us about a crowd, you wouldnt think theyd be that stupid would you. See how they go on a very wet Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back