Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel strongly that Adelaide should lose draft picks for bringing the game into disrepute. I would hope essendon ask the question of the afl as I still feel it is an injustice how our club was treated on very flimsy evidence.
it would also make our first round pick more valuable and prohibit Adelaide from having the draft capital for trading!
The difference is probably the endeavour of the government body for enforcement.

Safe Work SA have (inexplicably) said essentially that 'no laws were broken' and no charges were made as a result. The AFL's appetite for enforcement died with it.

If only ASADA took the mantra of 'we can't prove anything illegal happened, so we can't lay any charges'...
Unfortunately after the AFL and ASADA made such a public stance, the 'it doesn't look great, but we can't prove it was illegal' schtick wasnt an option, though it should have been.

The difference is probably the endeavour of the government body for enforcement.

Safe Work SA have (inexplicably) said essentially that 'no laws were broken' and no charges were made as a result. The AFL's appetite for enforcement died with it.

If only ASADA took the mantra of 'we can't prove anything illegal happened, so we can't lay any charges'...
Unfortunately after the AFL and ASADA made such a public stance, the 'it doesn't look great, but we can't prove it was illegal' schtick wasnt an option, though it should have been.
I think psychological harm as a workplace health and safety legal issue is relatively new and they may not have had any levers to pull in that regard.

Another option stems from Adelaide being small and incredibly incestuous, and it's entirely probable people at the club were able to influence the outcome of the investigation. I used to play cricket over there at and the connections people at the cricket club had even at that level were crazy.

I think psychological harm as a workplace health and safety legal issue is relatively new and they may not have had any levers to pull in that regard.

Another option stems from Adelaide being small and incredibly incestuous, and it's entirely probable people at the club were able to influence the outcome of the investigation. I used to play cricket over there at and the connections people at the cricket club had even at that level were crazy.
Can confirm!

As much as I hope you’re right, I can see his leadership qualities and relentless pressure at the ball being a huge temptation for dodoro to take him.
When you listen to all player interviews they constantly say that is the what Essendon wants to pride themselves on so wouldn’t it make sense to draft someone that has made a name for himself playing the same style that we want to play?
After all did we really need a Hobbs type of player with our first pick last year? But we still took him anyway (I’m not upset about it).
I think the leadership and competitor that he is does not totally rule him out either.

Comp
I think the leadership and competitor that he is does not totally rule him out either.
Completely agree.
It’s also a major reason why I don’t want us to take tsatas.
He may be a great player elsewhere but at this stage I don’t believe we can afford to take a player that lacks defensive work ethic.

Comp

Completely agree.
It’s also a major reason why I don’t want us to take tsatas.
He may be a great player elsewhere but at this stage I don’t believe we can afford to take a player that lacks defensive work ethic.
Tsatas is certainty a risk as far as defensive development goes. He has to do a lot to improve it.
What I do like is his outside speed and ball use. We do need to find a really good link player with good skills and speed as well.

Tsatas is certainty a risk as far as defensive development goes. He has to do a lot to improve it.
What I do like is his outside speed and ball use. We do need to find a really good link player with good skills and speed as well.

Are you not happy with the wing options we have at the moment? Langford, Martin, Durham, Cox (at a pinch).

Are you not happy with the wing options we have at the moment? Langford, Martin, Durham, Cox (at a pinch).
I like to keep adding class. Tsastis also adds midfield depth.
I am not 100% sold on any one player with our first pick.
Cadman would be great. There are a variety of midfielders we could go with.
I do not want to see Cox anywhere near a wing unless he runs to it from a flank.

I like to keep adding class. Tsastis also adds midfield depth.
I am not 100% sold on any one player with our first pick.
Cadman would be great. There are a variety of midfielders we could go with.
I do not want to see Cox anywhere near a wing unless he runs to it from a flank.
True that, Im really liking the idea of Cadman with our first. Or George or McKEnzie.

Do you like any of the walls with our (possible) second pick? Scully, Lemmey (sp?), Keeler etc?

True that, Im really liking the idea of Cadman with our first. Or George or McKEnzie.

Do you like any of the walls with our (possible) second pick? Scully, Lemmey (sp?), Keeler etc?
I like Keeler a bit.

Tsatas has much better centre bounce craft than all of them, your playing him as a inside/outside mid rather than pure outside wingman. Any team that play him on a wing is wasting his assets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My major issue with taking tsatas is the fact that if we play anything like we did the first 12 weeks of this season he fits the mould of blending in to that style of play.
Ideally I still would say I’d love cadman at our first but I’m not opposed to jyhe Clarke. You need players that have a real lead by example attitude. Its something we have not had in a long time.
Joel Selwood is a perfect example of this and also why Geelong has been successful for so long.
Leadership can not be underestimated and it’s an area Essendon has lacked in for a long time.

My major issue with taking tsatas is the fact that if we play anything like we did the first 12 weeks of this season he fits the mould of blending in to that style of play.
Ideally I still would say I’d love cadman at our first but I’m not opposed to jyhe Clarke. You need players that have a real lead by example attitude. Its something we have not had in a long time.
Joel Selwood is a perfect example of this and also why Geelong has been successful for so long.
Leadership can not be underestimated and it’s an area Essendon has lacked in for a long time.
I think you under sell Tsastis and his ability as a clearance players but I am not really locked onto anyone for our first pick. Tsatsis is a different player to what we have but I would also take Clarke despite him being another small midfielder because our leadership sucks and we need to find leaders quickly.

I think you under sell Tsastis and his ability as a clearance players but I am not really locked onto anyone for our first pick. Tsatsis is a different player to what we have but I would also take Clarke despite him being another small midfielder because our leadership sucks and we need to find leaders quickly.

I would hope we are trying to fill this void with established leaders, drafting kids who are leaders is asking a lot of these guys imho.

Am really wanting us to go after a team playing, older, wiser AFL player. Callan Ward, David Mundy type. Say it how it is to a few guys for a year or two because our nice guys persona has a stigma that has served us well for 20 years.

I would hope we are trying to fill this void with established leaders, drafting kids who are leaders is asking a lot of these guys imho.

Am really wanting us to go after a team playing, older, wiser AFL player. Callan Ward, David Mundy type. Say it how it is to a few guys for a year or two because our nice guys persona has a stigma that has served us well for 20 years.
How did the Hawks build their leadership ?
Do not mind brining in a player or two but we have to make a point of drafting 3 or 4 genuine leaders in the next couple of years o they can grow as a group.
Mitchell, Lewis , Hodge , Roughy , Sewell all came through close together.
We need to do both. An outside leader and a few young leaders.
What we do not want to get sucked into is short term fix. We really do need to spend 3 to 5 years working the draft and the trades and the FA pool to change at least 50% of the list.

Do not mind brining in a player or two but we have to make a point of drafting 3 or 4 genuine leaders in the next couple of years o they can grow as a group.
What we do not want to get sucked into is short term fix. We really do need to spend 3 to 5 years working the draft and the trades and the FA pool to change at least 50% of the list.
Leadership is one trait.
Ethic and desire is another. And i think we've started down that path with the likes of durham, martin, caldwell and co and found a bit in redman, draper, laverde, etc.
Even zerk and jones despite their age look to show the willingness to keep working.

Hobbs fits both camps and i really wish he was ready for the reins as captain. In 2-3 years time I'd have no issue handing it to him. Question becomes who is the stop gap.

Part of the reason i really like mckenzie. From the limited amount ive seen him he's shown a propensity to work hard and do team things to make himself a better player

I dont know the answer but I believe Vandenberg played a relatively significant role. Crawford had been club captain for a while.

It was a quick handover, though.

Richmond is probably the one. No ruthlessness or extroverted leadership until they went through their cult initiation program.

I dont know the answer but I believe Vandenberg played a relatively significant role. Crawford had been club captain for a while.

It was a quick handover, though.

Richmond is probably the one. No ruthlessness or extroverted leadership until they went through their cult initiation program.

Can’t rely on Richmond as an exemplar, they essentially took the exact same group including the coach and put them through George Constanza therapy. Everything they stood for was completely wrong, therefore the opposite had to be right.

What is leadership? Is it blokes who just do the team things?

I think we have don’t have leadership problem. We have a drafted a bunch of players with bad football traits problem.
lol no

It's guys who get the others to do the team things. Maybe look it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back