Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
lol no

It's guys who get the others to do the team things. Maybe look it up
Was more of a rhetorical question.

Our leader is currently getting courted by Gold Coast for four years. Such is his level of respect in the competition. He hasn’t lead us to anything.

So if it’s not actually leading teams to success or to execute a competent game plan, how is one a good leader?

It’s entirely determined by the football attributes of your team mates.

Last edited:
What is leadership? Is it blokes who just do the team things?

I think we have don’t have leadership problem. We have a drafted a bunch of players with bad football traits problem.
For me a good leader is like a good coach

Set standards, lead by those standards, communicate, motivate. Do what others wont

Darren Glass quote is great 'He said at the end of your career as a player you can be one of two things – liked or respected. Sometimes you can be both, but it’s rare'

I think Heppell probably sits more on the liked side of the scale

He looks like a guy that could work really well with indigenous, development/kids in their first 2-3 years and im sure some would say in leadership roles. The first 2 are just from looking afar.

If i think i know what your saying. Does a good leader create success or is every captain of a premiership team a good leader thus dependant on success.

Rory Sloane/Tex Walker maybe great examples. Going into the 2017 grand final lauded as exceptional leaders, Maybe not so much the case. All because of team success, but not many are perfect, many have shortfalls

I still think you need a group of good leaders to create success

Mainly comes down to training standards and defending standards on game day for me

It is hard to look back on close to 20 years of football and remember who were great leaders and who wernt. Alot i dont even remember

Was more of a rhetorical question.

Our leader is currently getting courted by Gold Coast for four years. Such is his level of respect in the competition. He hasn’t lead us to anything.

So if it’s not actually leading teams to success or to execute a competent game plan, how is one a good leader?

It’s entirely determined by the football attributes of your team mates.
Again, I'd suggest you actually look up leadership because it's more complicated than you seem to think. There's a number of different leadership styles which work better or worse in different situations. Effective leadership depends heavily on the interplay between the leadership style and the personality/psychology of the group being led, rather than their football attributes.

Heppell is a fine leader but seems to use more of a relational style of leadership, which is nice and all but probably not going to address our weakness which seems to be a genuine lack of hard edge and competitiveness. GCS may have identified they could really use that element of leadership in their more senior players, or maybe they're just chasing any leadership they can lay hands on and Heppell is available.

For us, I think Heppell is unsuitable because he has been unable (or unwilling) to convince what appears to be a group of senior players to commit the sort of effort they should on gameday.

Again, I'd suggest you actually look up leadership because it's more complicated than you seem to think. There's a number of different leadership styles which work better or worse in different situations. Effective leadership depends heavily on the interplay between the leadership style and the personality/psychology of the group being led, rather than their football attributes.

Heppell is a fine leader but seems to use more of a relational style of leadership, which is nice and all but probably not going to address our weakness which seems to be a genuine lack of hard edge and competitiveness. GCS may have identified they could really use that element of leadership in their more senior players, or maybe they're just chasing any leadership they can lay hands on and Heppell is available.

For us, I think Heppell is unsuitable because he has been unable (or unwilling) to convince what appears to be a group of senior players to commit the sort of effort they should on gameday.

Surely the coaching group plays a bigger role in these things than the captain.
The skipper is there to bring the group together and make sure the chnge room is a happy place. Generally a captain would be working with the younger players and helping them to feel a part of it?

Surely the coaching group plays a bigger role in these things than the captain.
The skipper is there to bring the group together and make sure the chnge room is a happy place. Generally a captain would be working with the younger players and helping them to feel a part of it?

Someone has to drive the coaches message on-field still, in the heat of the moment making sure players are where they need to be, playing how they need to play.

Hodge is probably the best on-field leader we've seen to that end, how much of what Clarkson was able to do with the playing group was facilitated by Hodge being exceptional at directing traffic on-field in big moments?

I understand there are different effective leadership styles. But the appropriate leadership is irrelevant when we have an unbalanced list.

No one had to lead Clayton Oliver to be an incredibly dominant inside player, Christian Petracca to be able to hit forward targets at will, Ed Langdon to run himself into the ground, Viney to play kamikaze football, Lever to be a brilliant reader of the play or May to be a brute. They all brought these traits with them from juniors or at least projected those strengths.

I look at Merrett, Heppell, Shiel and Parish and think those players are close to the pinnacle of what their attributes allow them to be. Leadership isn't the problem, our guys aren't bringing attributes that stack up against the best in the competition. It's not a lack of leadership as to why they miss targets, or have to run forward from the stoppage or struggle to run defensively.

I too lament that Heppell isn't Hodge like and have been vocal about it for a long time. But our problem isn't primarily leadership style, it's too many poor runners, poor kicks, players who aren't aggressive and don't thrive off contact.

At a lot of other clubs our players leadership would be lauded. But at Essendon we have failed to provide the list balance that gives value to their skillsets, so they are poor leaders here because they aren't everything, everywhere, all at once. At another club, they wouldn't have to be.

Last edited:
Someone has to drive the coaches message on-field still, in the heat of the moment making sure players are where they need to be, playing how they need to play.

Hodge is probably the best on-field leader we've seen to that end, how much of what Clarkson was able to do with the playing group was facilitated by Hodge being exceptional at directing traffic on-field in big moments?
Hodge also had Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis, Roughead, Birchall etc etc driving the leadership. It isn't just the captain although you would like to think any of the 18 players on the park could have had them set up better after that ball hit the post against Collingwood...............

I think we should trade in.

The mids and mid/forwards over 184cm in first round contention: Sheezel, Szybkowski, Tsatas, Phillpou, Hewett, MacKensie, Hustwaite, George, Ginbey, Hollands, Humphrey, Fletcher.

That's nearly as many as the last three first rounds combined.

As unlikely as it is, I'd love us to commit to a draft strategy trade our future first in, and work really hard to upgrade our second as well.

I think we should trade in.

The mids and mid/forwards over 184cm in first round contention: Sheezel, Szybkowski, Tsatas, Phillpou, Hewett, MacKensie, Hustwaite, George, Ginbey, Hollands, Humphrey, Fletcher.

That's nearly as many as the last three first rounds combined.

As unlikely as it is, I'd love us to commit to a draft strategy trade our future first in, and work really hard to upgrade our second as well.

The best way to get 2/3 of these guys is via Parish, I know we won't do it but I think it would be a good move.

Been impressed with Toby Triffett from the Lions VFL team. His pressure is fantastic and he attacks the footy at speed in a similar mould to Guelf.

Wouldn’t be against getting him in with a late round/rookie pick.

Been impressed with Toby Triffett from the Lions VFL team. His pressure is fantastic and he attacks the footy at speed in a similar mould to Guelf.

Wouldn’t be against getting him in with a late round/rookie pick.
Been watching an eye on those "reclamation" projects you identified and Jack Bytel (St.Kilda) is one that keeps popping up with reasonable stats.

189cm, inside midfielder who had surgery in his draft year. Cannons co - captain iirc, hard inside player who tackles well (averages 5.4) and has reasonable ball winning ability (24.75). At 22, he's probably behind a few others at St.Kilda for an AFL midfield role but at a club desperate for bigger bodied inside players, he'd be in the conversation to get game time.

Been watching an eye on those "reclamation" projects you identified and Jack Bytel (St.Kilda) is one that keeps popping up with reasonable stats.

189cm, inside midfielder who had surgery in his draft year. Cannons co - captain iirc, hard inside player who tackles well (averages 5.4) and has reasonable ball winning ability (24.75). At 22, he's probably behind a few others at St.Kilda for an AFL midfield role but at a club desperate for bigger bodied inside players, he'd be in the conversation to get game time.
OI

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been talking about Bytel all year
Will be interesting to see what the Saints do. With them missing the 8 they may want to go with a few of the younger players who have not had much of a look in.

Will be interesting to see what the Saints do. With them missing the 8 they may want to go with a few of the younger players who have not had much of a look in.
He's averaging mid 20's this year in the VFL. Should get a chance next week

In that position where they should be top 6.
Doubt it happens but do we approach them around someone like stringer to give their fwd line some potency.

In that position where they should be top 6.
Doubt it happens but do we approach them around someone like stringer to give their fwd line some potency.
In regards to where we are really at list wise IMO yes. Although it is not likely on the radar you have to really ask is Jake the player we need right now. Great player when he is on song but we need someone who can play consistent footy week in and week out. Jake is suited to a side who needs a match winner for a quarter here and a quarter there.

With Wardlaw doing another hammy this past week he is every chance to slip to our first pick.
Do we bounce at the opportunity to take a player that could be a superstar but has huge injury clouds over his head? Or do we play it a bit more safe?

For me personally I love taking high risk high reward so I would love wardlaw at the bombers.

With Wardlaw doing another hammy this past week he is every chance to slip to our first pick.
Do we bounce at the opportunity to take a player that could be a superstar but has huge injury clouds over his head? Or do we play it a bit more safe?

For me personally I love taking high risk high reward so I would love wardlaw at the bombers.
The meltdown would be massive when he does a hammy in his first year 😛

The prospect of lining up in 2023 with Davey, Sheezel/Wardlaw/Tsatsas and potentially Dunkley is quite exciting tbh. Exactly the type of players we need and Wardlaw just looks class.

I could see him getting to our pick. Surely norf are going to be quite risk averse after the JHF affair. The other teams ahead of us are interstate. The hammy might be the tipping point that has them passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back