Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be pretty disappointed if we did end up going for a KPD, with the troops returning soon (Laverde, Cox a chance, Hayes developing well)
Think it would be a strange choice right now . If we go for a genuine FB it has to be at the end of the year if they think Baldwin is not the way they are going and Reid does not end up playing any games.

Think it would be a strange choice right now . If we go for a genuine FB it has to be at the end of the year if they think Baldwin is not the way they are going and Reid does not end up playing any games.
Id just go talent.
We've had good luck with snelling, durham, mass and menzie

If we take someone, take highest ceiling kid

Id just go talent.
We've had good luck with snelling, durham, mass and menzie

If we take someone, take highest ceiling kid
I agree with this. If we were in a position to contend I wouldn’t be against taking the best player in the draft but we are not. If we were I’d wasn’t us to take someone like Lowson but feel like we Shouid take a chance on Gilbey or Tresize or
jye chalcraft

I agree with this. If we were in a position to contend I wouldn’t be against taking the best player in the draft but we are not. If we were I’d wasn’t us to take someone like Lowson but feel like we Shouid take a chance on Gilbey or Tresize or
jye chalcraft
Gilbey hasn't nominated

jye chalcraft
I like teal, who will probably be gone, and kobe ryan from last years draft crop.

I like teal, who will probably be gone, and kobe ryan from last years draft crop.
I think Teal will be picked before us so i haven’t even been considering him. Abit of chat abojt Ryan the past few days but I haven’t seen much of him
Gilbey hasn't nominated
I think there’s another round of noms to be released

I read that Narkle nominated.

Also ex-Bombers, McDonough, Cahill and Tom Hird nominated as well.

I read that Narkle nominated.

Also ex-Bombers, McDonough, Cahill and Tom Hird nominated as well.
Conforti, Cootee, Harris and Cleaver too

As a player we really don’t need his type but the more I hear about what he’s doing with the Indigenous boys and off-field stuff the more I’d like us to make it work.

I suppose bringing him in would stamp the papers of someone like Will Snelling though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a player we really don’t need his type but the more I hear about what he’s doing with the Indigenous boys and off-field stuff the more I’d like us to make it work.

I suppose bringing him in would stamp the papers of someone like Will Snelling though.

He might even work from HBF , but he probably won't last to our pick.

Who are we looking at for the MSD?
Judging by the 3 we took in the first 3 msd drafts.. your guess is as good as anyone’s. The one I hope we pick is Tresize from Richmonds vfl. There’s a list of youngster guys I’d love us to take depending on how early they all go.. Ryan, Teal, Maric and so on

I don’t think we take a mature ager but if we did Lowson would play abit of footy for us this year and I love the look of Brandon Ryan.

Is he like Snelling though?

He seems like a less talented and athletic Hobbs.

The thing with Narkle is we are missing Parish and Setterfield for the next month at least.

Provided he is on a 6 month contract, he is playing VFL for us anyway and would provide some handy experienced depth in the midfield whilst Parish and Setterfield get back.

Is he like Snelling though?

He seems like a less talented and athletic Hobbs.
As of the end of last year we’ve gone from no small forwards to heaps of them, which means it’s probably an area to look at. Snelling’s role becomes Jayden Davey’s once he’s fit.

Narkle is a mid, but in terms of the list structure we need more mids, rather than replacing the ones we already have. (And I don’t know who you’d replace other than probably use Heppell’s spot on a big bodied inside mid. Like mature depth/competition for spots with Setterfield, not significant draft capital… maybe a UFA for a couple years if such is available.)

As of the end of last year we’ve gone from no small forwards to heaps of them, which means it’s probably an area to look at. Snelling’s role becomes Jayden Davey’s once he’s fit.

Narkle is a mid, but in terms of the list structure we need more mids, rather than replacing the ones we already have. (And I don’t know who you’d replace other than probably use Heppell’s spot on a big bodied inside mid. Like mature depth/competition for spots with Setterfield, not significant draft capital… maybe a UFA for a couple years if such is available.)
He has been pretty handy when resting forward on the odd occasion as well. Has good goal sense. Like you I am not sold on him being 100% the guy we need but he most likely can fill a couple of roles.

Yep my heart is set on Trezise now. He’s rangy can back half back or half forward quick and moves well laterally.. racks up possessions and takes a lot of marks. I reckon he has a lot of upside. Needs to add size but that’s fine if we are taking him for the future

Article from Herald Sun listing their top 20 prospects for the mid season draft;

James Trezise​

Richmond (VFL)​

H: 188cm, W: 76kg, DOB: 15/6/2002
Nominated Contract Term: 6 months
Signed by the Tigers’ VFL team this year as a smooth-moving half-forward, Trezise kicked 26 goals from 20 games for Tooradin-Dalmore in the West Gippsland Football League last year to help his side break a 25-year premiership drought. However, he has found a new home across halfback in the state league competition this year. Trezise has good speed and endurance, an exciting leap and is a booming kick. Across eight VFL games this year, he has averaged 16 disposals, 5.4 intercept possessions, 4.9 marks and 4.9 goals. Trezise has even done some ruck work for Richmond this year, despite being undersized.

Ethan Stanley​

Box Hill (VFL)​

H: 188cm, W: 83kg, DOB: 13/11/2003

A late bloomer, the wingman or half-forward was playing under-19s with his local club Frankston YCW last year. He hadn’t caught the eye of the Dandenong Stingrays as a junior, but was invited to train with Box Hill over summer and managed to win a spot on the club’s VFL list. Stanley’s versatility, powerful kick, explosive speed and great vertical leap are all strengths of his game. He has played five VFL games for Box Hill this year, averaging 13.2 disposals and 4.6 score involvements. Stanley also featured in the two Young Guns games earlier this month, gathering 15 disposals and kicking two goals in the second of those games.'

Clay Tucker​

Eastern Ranges (Coates League)​

H: 204cm, W: 99kg, DOB: 9/8/2004
Nominated Contract Term: 18 months

A towering tall, Tucker covers the ground well with his mobility and agility and has good ruck craft. He has continued to develop as the year has progressed, both in the ruck and also with his ability to go forward and impact the scoreboard. Across his first five games for the Ranges, Tucker averaged 10.4 disposals, 3.4 marks, 21 hitouts and 0.8 goals. He featured in both Young Guns games earlier this month, particularly catching the eye in the second game against Vic Country at Ikon Park. In that match, Tucker gathered 13 disposals, 14 hitouts and kicked two goals. He has spent time training with Hawthorn in recent weeks.

Jaiden Hunter​

Perth (WAFL)​

H: 196cm, W: 93kg, DOB: 20/4/2002

A goalkicking forward, Hunter was overlooked in his draft year in 2020 before having a horrid run with injury. An elbow injury prematurely ended his 2021 season and he went on to rupture his ACL during a practice match at the start of last year, wiping out his entire 2022 campaign. Hunter returned to the field for Perth’s reserves side in Round 1 this year and booted four goals, before earning a senior WAFL opportunity a month later. He kicked four goals in his first senior game of the year against West Coast, catching the eye of AFL recruiters. Hunter is a competitor, has good aerial ability and reads the play well. The apprentice electrician previously played as a defender and ruckman during 2020 and 2021, showing his versatility.

Brandon Ryan​

Northern Bullants (VFL)​

H: 200cm, DOB: 7/11/1997

A towering tall forward, Ryan previously spent two years on North Melbourne’s VFL list, signing on with the Kangaroos at the end of 2017. But he didn’t have a good run at that stint as he suffered knee and ankle injuries, which made for plenty of time in the rehabilitation group. Ryan got his body right over the past two years and was invited to train with the Northern Bullants after kicking 38 goals in 17 games for Maribyrnong Park in the Essendon District Football League last year. Ryan is athletic, a strong mark, has a nice left-foot kick and is good below his knees for a player of his size. The cousin of Fremantle defender Luke Ryan, he has averaged 14 disposals, 5 marks, 5.9 score involvements and 2.6 goals from seven VFL games this year.

Luke Teal

Richmond (VFL)

H: 190cm, W: 82kg, DOB: 20/5/2004

A defender or wingman, Teal had his under-18 year decimated by injury and illness in 2022. He first had an appendix operation and then suffered a broken collarbone, curtailing the majority of the season. However, he returned late in the campaign for the Chargers last year and showed good intercept ability and rebound off halfback in a handful of games. This season he impressed in three games with the Chargers, averaging 20 disposals in the Coates Talent League before earning some VFL opportunities with Richmond. In the second Young Guns game against Vic Country, Teal racked up a game-high 32 disposals in a new role in the midfield as he continues his development.

And a couple from our VFL list

Quinton Narkle

Essendon (VFL)

H: 182cm, W: 83kg, DOB: 3/12/1997

A former Geelong midfielder, Narkle wasn’t able to find another AFL opportunity after being delisted by the Cats at the end of last season following five seasons and 41 senior games for the club. Narkle trained with Richmond during pre-season, but the Tigers opted to instead fill their last list spot with forward Kaelan Bradtke during the Supplementary Selection Period. In eight VFL games for the Bombers this year, Narkle has averaged 20 disposals, 4.6 clearances, 4.4 tackles and a goal a game.

Jack Cleaver

Essendon (VFL)

H: 188cm, W: 87kg, DOB: 22/5/2004

A left-footed medium defender, Cleaver was a consistent performer for Western Australia at under-18 level last year as well as playing seven matches at senior level with East Fremantle including finals. He is a really strong player in his attack on the ball and a clean ball handler. Cleaver trained with Essendon in search of an AFL list spot during the pre-season Supplemental Selection Period. He didn’t win that spot, but the Bombers signed him up to their VFL program and he relocated to Victoria permanently. In six VFL games this year, Cleaver has averaged 12.7 disposals, 5 marks, 5 intercept possessions and 2 spoils. He was also impressive in wet and slippery conditions in the Young Guns’ first game against Vic Metro, logging 18 disposals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back