Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Id go into the "freebie" and "Cat B" discussion but assuming you're well aware of these.

I just feel we may as well utilise the Cat B list if it is empty, Taha the more deserving yet Naim the more need.

What an absolute nonsense

The Cat B list is outside the normal rookie list. IT's set aside for these NGA kids undraftyed.

The only guys I can think of from a non Irish background we've tried were Crauford (spelling?), Johny Rayner a former distance runner and that's it. May as well have a free throw at a kid who has come through some sort of pathway.
Ben McNiece? o_O

We have misused the Cat B list so strangely I feel. Aside from 20 odd games from Ben McNeice (who was playing VFL), have we produced anyone genuinely as a prospect?

I feel like we should just be going out and finding the most hyper athletic 6'6" or taller prospects that are late to footy or playing another sport like basketball that we can find. I think we tried it once with Luke Lavender(?) And haven't tried since.

We have misused the Cat B list so strangely I feel. Aside from 20 odd games from Ben McNeice (who was playing VFL), have we produced anyone genuinely as a prospect?

I feel like we should just be going out and finding the most hyper athletic 6'6" or taller prospects that are late to footy or playing another sport like basketball that we can find. I think we tried it once with Luke Lavender(?) And haven't tried since.

McKenna was a Cat B wasn't he?

McKenna was a Cat B wasn't he?
Ahhh yes. Good point, however I consider the Irish guys a bit different - the AFL has a pathways program and mini combine for those guys now.

It's not quite the same as going out and finding Uber talented, but extremely raw athletes running around playing basketball or in the Talent league.

Ahhh yes. Good point, however I consider the Irish guys a bit different - the AFL has a pathways program and mini combine for those guys now.

It's not quite the same as going out and finding Uber talented, but extremely raw athletes running around playing basketball or in the Talent league.

I imagine the hit rate for Cat B guys making it is extremely low, a lot of the 'failed' athletes from other sports are already in the football system in some way by the time they get picked up, and the athletic profile needed is quite different to a lot of other sports e.g. basketball.

If we did the swap with the swans, it puts us in Leake, Windsor, Hardeman territory.

I have no idea if that’s a good idea

Wilson and Windsor look likely types but not sure they fit our needs, already having Martin, Durham and Duursma to fill the wing roles unless they see Duursma pushing to a half back role

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really want Logan Morris at our second if we cant secure Caddy, reckon he fills a lot of needs that maybe Jakey isn't able to fill anymore
An undersized key forward? Such an Essington thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a tall key forward, he's a 2nd or 3rd Banana with other strings

We don't really have a genuine KPF still, Wright can do a solid job but needs help (and isn't a long-term player), and Morris is no bigger than Langford.

To play as a KPF at that height you need serious tricks, otherwise we end up stuck in the 'we have too many medium forwards' no mans land yet again.

An undersized key forward? Such an Essington thing
Undersized would be okay if he was quick or had elite endurance, but he does seem to be a classic Essendon pick. So often it seems to be players with massive deficiencies that are relevant to their position; they're right up against it to succeed from the very beginning. Key forwards whose hands are poor (not the case with Morris I know), key defenders who are undersized or slow, small forwards who are slow, midfielders who can't cover ground or win contested ball.

We don't really have a genuine KPF still, Wright can do a solid job but needs help (and isn't a long-term player), and Morris is no bigger than Langford.

To play as a KPF at that height you need serious tricks, otherwise we end up stuck in the 'we have too many medium forwards' no mans land yet a

And how old would an 18 year old draftee be when 26 year old Langford is gone? Probably 26. Arnt always drafting for today, need a baton to pass onto aswell

And how old would an 18 year old draftee be when 26 year old Langford is gone? Probably 26. Arnt always drafting for today, need a baton to pass onto aswell

So Langford's going to be kicking goals for us for another 8 years? Nice!! :D

Lavender, that’s who i was thinking. Not Crauford

Really want Logan Morris at our second if we cant secure Caddy, reckon he fills a lot of needs that maybe Jakey isn't able to fill anymore
I am falling into the wanting Archer Reid category. Think there is 3 / 4 guys in that ‘tweener’. Spot whom we could consider.

Logan Morris, Luke Lloyd, Michael Rudd and there is one more whose name escapes me. All should be on our radar if we do want a key forward with our later picks

I am falling into the wanting Archer Reid category. Think there is 3 / 4 guys in that ‘tweener’. Spot whom we could consider.

Logan Morris, Luke Lloyd, Michael Rudd and there is one more whose name escapes me. All should be on our radar if we do want a key forward with our later picks
Lloyd is a genuine KF

If he had enough tricks to be a high quality medium then sure, but finding an AFL standard medium forward isn’t overly hard compared to finding the KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back