"AFL Draftees Should Be Paid More" - Scott Lucas (What The ??)

Remove this Banner Ad

A significant personal priority for the new chairman will be working harder on player welfare to ensure players don't end up on the job scrapheap once their playing careers are finished.
Tanner wants to look specifically at making education and employment opportunities more accessible for players upon whom the demands of an AFL career have become heavier than ever.

"At the moment, the AFL is effectively saying: 'We want that 10 years of your life that would otherwise be used by you to set yourself up for your long-term future in the workforce'," he said.

"We want those 10 years, and we'll pay them an awful lot of money for that, but the question of what happens to them after those 10 years is completely up in the air … I don't think that's good enough."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...es-hird-back-in-the-fold-20151214-gln0ay.html

Jordan Ibe from Liverpool has no player agent but the club pay him more than usual as there are no agent fees involved. Only players on mega bucks need agents as the demands are too high without one. But a kid or middle ranged player definitely don't need it and will help with salary caps. AFL player association should take over player management and only leave it to agents if they earn over $500k

Raheem Sterling may beg to differ.

Player managers definately help them get the most money but whether they care about whats best for the player log term is another story.

I think it is the rookie's contracts that need boosting. Wasn't it Goldstein who had to work two jobs because his rookie contract the AFL gave him wasn't enough to live on?

PS: I think draftees are well compensated.

Rookie draftees are the ones who get ripped off.

Spot on. I was just helping a friends daughter (24 years) recently do a job application. Entry level base pay $52k. This is a career opportunity for life. Plenty of scope for promotion, generous increased pay levels attached to it as well as study paid for.

Now picture a rookies lot. Selected from obscurity, classed as fringe AFL quality or just an out and out gamble by a club. Some players will take the punt regardless of pay.

On the flip side how many quality players (potential rookies) are out there that have chosen a career job opportunity as they do not believe they have what it takes or lack a bit of confidence? The questions they might ask themselves.....What if I get cut after 12 months and can't get my old job back? Will I have to wait for a serious injury to get a shot or live hope of an upgrade? IMO even the term Rookie list has a negative connotation. It is geared toward a club having a gamble (to an extent).

Make rookie pay more attractive e.g. $120k and a whole new group of players will make themselves available to give AFL a shot imo. This can only be good for the game as more talent will have a crack at VFL and higher level club footy in order to get noticed.

How does it fair against the NFL?
I am not so sure... NBA on the other Hand... As I said before, Allen Iverson was a number 1 pick in 1996 and was given a 3 year deal worth 3 million a year, the number 2 pick was given a 3 year deal worth 2.5 million a year. All 1st round picks are given 3 year deals, 2nd round picks get 2 year deals.

They get a better starting wage than a lot of (most probably) people who have studied a master's degree and just moved into their profession. If they're a bunch of dumb campaigners who waste it all then that's their own bad luck but they already start off better than most people and get more support than anyone else. The only other ways I can think of to get a free uni education is be brilliant and get a scholarship, or join the army.

What's 74K? Firstly clip at least 10% off that for agents fees and then...........a modest rental apartment, a rental vehicle and hardly enough money left for a holiday at the end of the year........forget savings.

This is the premium sport in the country FFS. 100K should be the minimum.

Interesting points ............

Regardless of what city they live in, they are still going to be paying a similar rental amount but they have the benefit of doing so on a higher wage than most people other 18yo's in their first year of full-time work.

A rental vehicle ........... I'm sure the club would be helping out in that area via sponsorships & coterie members, besides, how many 18yo's can normally afford to rent a car anyways ??

A holiday .......... they get a minimum of 6-weeks paid leave ever year, they can afford to go overseas on that wage, I doubt the first-year student working at Coles at night can do that.

A lot of people are missing the point here. Draftees are entering an environment of professional sport, proffesional commitments and being exposed to an industry which is very different from the 'average' person.

The industry is based around a commercial model, where it is driven by sponsorship, media exposure, CBA, demand from the public, and endorsements. Getting paid 70-75k as a draftee really has nothing to do with the rest of society. AFL is a bubble, a very short lived one for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draftees are given a free ride throughout school. I was in the same school as Nakia Cockatoo and he would be lucky to have an IQ higher than his weight. Yet he was supposedly getting A's. Everyone in that class knew it was bullshit he would get an A in history.
Why are you so sure he was dumb as a post? Why are you so worried about his scores or subjects he studied? Maybe you should've focused on your scores more? Who gives a damn how he went or what he is getting paid.

If other teenagers just out of school have to do their job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week then it is comparable.

They can't even sit down to watch a movie during the season without having to get up halfway through and move around so they don't seize up too much. AFL football isn't a bunch of mates having a laugh all day about how they go for a jog twice a week and play on the weekend, they get wrung out like towels and it is a steep learning curve on how to manage their body so they don't get delisted for falling slightly behind.

The fittest people you know ring mum to cry about how hard preseason is and they aren't sure if they will be able to get through it - the job isn't something you can switch off from.

If draftees are paid more the expectations of them in performance will rise too. Look at some of the top draft picks in recent years who have struggled, they have a tough time as it is do they really want what they are being paid to come into it.

If you enter a law/accounting field after uni at top of the class you would be well remunerated but they get their flesh of blood out of you in return. Much like AFL players now.

Also are these kids being counselled on the fact they may fail and not make it? If we are concerned with the fact the system spits so many out are they advised of this?

They also receive advantageous tax treatment to reflect the difficulty of the industry they are in.

Also are these kids being counselled on the fact they may fail and not make it? If we are concerned with the fact the system spits so many out are they advised of this?

what can a failed AFL draftee command in Country/metro football per game ?

what can a failed AFL draftee command in Country/metro football per game ?

I don't know what the rate is, however I've heard stories where some metro clubs in Vic pay payroll tax and the threshhold for that is $550k

If other teenagers just out of school have to do their job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week then it is comparable.

They can't even sit down to watch a movie during the season without having to get up halfway through and move around so they don't seize up too much. AFL football isn't a bunch of mates having a laugh all day about how they go for a jog twice a week and play on the weekend, they get wrung out like towels and it is a steep learning curve on how to manage their body so they don't get delisted for falling slightly behind.

The fittest people you know ring mum to cry about how hard preseason is and they aren't sure if they will be able to get through it - the job isn't something you can switch off from.

I have to do that too these days.

Why are you so sure he was dumb as a post? Why are you so worried about his scores or subjects he studied? Maybe you should've focused on your scores more? Who gives a damn how he went or what he is getting paid.
In a system which pegs you against everyone else (ENTER, TER or whatever it's called these days) kids getting a free ride so to speak very much have an effect on those that don't.

In a system which pegs you against everyone else (ENTER, TER or whatever it's called these days) kids getting a free ride so to speak very much have an effect on those that don't.
I believe that system punishes those who do badly in a good school more than it draws back the successful students in that class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back