Should the Coleman medal be more than just about the most goals kicked by a forward?

Who did you enjoy watching more this year, Curnow or Tex?

• Curnow

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Tex

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coleman stays the Coleman, but I always liked the idea of a second goal kicking award for accuracy:
  • Set shots only
  • A zone defined where an elite footballer having a set shot should be a guarantee. Say from the point posts angled out to a 40m arc
  • Man on the mark inside the above zone means the shot qualifies
  • Minimum 3 shots to qualify for the award.
  • Call it "The Plugger"

There has been a bit on here regarding Curnow's free kicks ans goals.
That is the problem with stats, they dont always tell the real story.

Curnow get free kicks, no doubt. Most stars do.
It isn't that the umpires play favorites, it is that because the defender is worried (because Curnow is a freak and will most likely win the contest), they are pressured to do the wrong thing to try and get an advantage, resulting in giving away the free.

Guys, i have developed a new scientific algorithm to determine the Coleman medal that takes into account 112 factors including 'goals against the middle 6 teams on the ladder', 'metres gained from non free kick, non backwards disposals' and 'the vibe' to determine the Coleman medal.

It will be used to determine a field on 16 possible candidates each season who will then compete in a series of 9 squid game style challenges, until there are only 4 remaining, at which point a fan vote (via old school 'call this number... calls cost $1.50 per 30 seconds hotline) will reduce the field to two.

At that point the winner will be decided on either a coin flip or whoever scored the most boundaries in the 2019 cricket world cup, unless Kane Cornes doesn't like the outcome, in which case he can veto the result and give the award to Conor Rozee.

I think we all know it makes a lot more sense than the current system. 'Most goals'? What sort of mickey mouse competition rewards that?
Woohoo. Go Jeremy Cameron! Another Coleman medal. And the first one ever awarded with an actual scientific algorithm!

Guys, i have developed a new scientific algorithm to determine the Coleman medal that takes into account 112 factors including 'goals against the middle 6 teams on the ladder', 'metres gained from non free kick, non backwards disposals' and 'the vibe' to determine the Coleman medal.

It will be used to determine a field on 16 possible candidates each season who will then compete in a series of 9 squid game style challenges, until there are only 4 remaining, at which point a fan vote (via old school 'call this number... calls cost $1.50 per 30 seconds hotline) will reduce the field to two.

At that point the winner will be decided on either a coin flip or whoever scored the most boundaries in the 2019 cricket world cup, unless Kane Cornes doesn't like the outcome, in which case he can veto the result and give the award to Conor Rozee.

I think we all know it makes a lot more sense than the current system. 'Most goals'? What sort of mickey mouse competition rewards that?
Also should take into account how many kids in hospital each player has visited

Should take away all the goals kicked against the Eagles this season. That puts Larkey top of the Coleman.. after both Curnow and Walker kicked 19 goals each against the Eagles across 2 of the home and away games.
Larkey also got 2 cracks at WC this year, I think he kicked 7 in the first encounter but then Bunga did a number on him in the second one and kept him to just the 1. He had his chance but got flogged by a back pocket :)
He had an amazing year though, he's a damn good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many moral Coleman's?
He’s been top 3 quite a few times, but the goal assists is what tells the true tale, he sits second all time in that category, it’s why he has more All Australian’s than his contemporary in Jack Riewoldt, even though he has two less Coleman’s, because he has been far more selfless as a player.

How many they've kicked against top 8 sides...I assume you counted that yourself?

I'm not having a go at Curnow. He's a champion and the best key forward in the comp right now.
All I was saying is he received a substantial amount of free kicks whereas Tex did not and he still very nearly won the Coleman medal. That's an impressive season of football in anyone's book.

I'm not having a go at Curnow. He's a champion and the best key forward in the comp right now.
All I was saying is he received a substantial amount of free kicks whereas Tex did not and he still very nearly won the Coleman medal. That's an impressive season of football in anyone's book.
You need to read back what I quoted, nothing to do with free kicks.

This coming from someone who supports a team that had Joel Selwood as Captain for over a decade.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

This coming from someone who supports a team that had Joel Selwood as Captain for over a decade.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

I never liked the free kicks Selwood received. Have always stated this.
While most were there, he certainly developed a technique which drew the tacklers grasp to go above the shoulder and it was annoying to watch as a spectator. His only saving grace is his ridiculous courageous and winning mentality which no one will ever question.

I just hope the umpires do not become Curnow conscious in this finals series.

I never liked the free kicks Selwood received. Have always stated this.
While most were there, he certainly developed a technique which drew the tacklers grasp to go above the shoulder and it was annoying.
And Curnow has what technique to draw frees? Or is it just that defenders consistently infringe on him and he's justly rewarded half the time.

If it's the latter, perhaps just put away the mindless drivel on the topic?

The Coleman medal is pretty much as simple as “most goals kicked by a forward in the minor rounds”. With the goals tally being very close this year with Tex (76 goals) and Curnow (78 goals), it’s got me thinking whether there should be some additional criteria or perhaps a fan vote to determine the overall winner? Particular what if..both end up with the exact same amount of goals and behinds?
No I don't think so.

And Curnow has what technique to draw frees? Or is it just that defenders consistently infringe on him and he's justly rewarded half the time.

If it's the latter, perhaps just put away the mindless drivel on the topic?

He currently receives the same average number of free kicks as what Ben Brown did. He knows how to put some mayo on it which draws the umpires attention.

Of course, some full forwards whinge to the umps calling for a free kick and are sometimes ignored.

He currently receives the same average number of free kicks as what Ben Brown did. He knows how to put some mayo on it which draws the umpires attention.

Of course, some full forwards whinge to the umps calling for a free kick and are sometimes ignored.

If anyones putting on mayo, its you.

Back