Should the Coleman medal be more than just about the most goals kicked by a forward?

Who did you enjoy watching more this year, Curnow or Tex?

• Curnow

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Tex

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

As you say, the award is simply for most goals. A simple, objective measure. It's not necessarily meant to reflect who the best forward was.
Correct. Take Tom Hawkins for example, he only has one Coleman medal, yet you could mount a very strong argument he’s been the second best forward of the last 15-20 years after Buddy.

The Coleman medal is pretty much as simple as “most goals kicked by a forward in the minor rounds”. With the goals tally being very close this year with Tex (76 goals) and Curnow (78 goals), it’s got me thinking whether there should be some additional criteria or perhaps a fan vote to determine the overall winner? Particular what if..both end up with the exact same amount of goals and behinds?

With respect to Tex and Curnow this year, Tex has the better overall goal average, having played one less game, as well as better kicking accuracy. Curnow having the better goal tally and more scoring shots, but is likely to be the main forward target in the Blues side. While the Crows forward arrays this year have been more evenly spread out and Tex being less of a focus.

With respect to the general forwards discussion, there is much more to a forward’s craft than just his number of goals. The defensive pressure, the hit outs, the miracle snaps, the pack marks etc. Personally, I would prefer to see a forward who kicks 50 goals and 20 pack marks than a forward who kicks 60 goals and all of them from 30-40m out, from boring chest marks.
You’re a knob

I’m just here to create a discussion. This isn’t about a whinge.

More specifically, I can already guess what the Blues fans would say. Just more interested in the non-biased supporters’ opinions. If you find it cringey then run away.

Biased views, sure. I’ve never ever thought the Coleman should be based on anything other than goals, and never will regardless of if no Carlton player wins it ever again

I didn't say he played them once. I just said if you had a most goals kicked ladder and removed all the goals kicked against West Coast then Larkey finishes top.
But why would you even do that?
Why not take away Larkey's two best games if you're taking way the other 2 player's 2 best games?
Just to manufacture a specific result?

I don't recall mentioning any specific years, but I notice you just skipped over Dunstall, Carey, Fev, Lloyd and Buddy (all of whom weren't playing yet)... and the general point I was making.

Weird year to bring up. Ablett was in his 2nd year (and didn't play). Lockett was in his 1st year (kicked 19 goals).
bwahahahaha

I was relying to your post.

I didn't bring up anything; YOU DID. For the love of all things, You really need to read you own posts.

How dumb are people who believe all free kick counts should be even and goals from free kicks don’t count.

Why even have umpires then?
hahahahahaaaaaa

This thread keeps getting better. Carlton fans hey..

What was a pretty normal discussion on a bit 'out there' OP took a wild hand brake turn, into the Blues fans going troppo
1693620473937.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey only played West Coast once and that gives him an extra game advantage, so it's only fair to take the other coast away and remove Larkey's Gold Coast game...
Nick Larkey has a nickname, so does Walker but Curnow doesn't appear to have one. Surely this has to be taken into account when deciding the Coleman as well.

Surprises me (not) how so many 'neglect' to mention Larkey played twice against WC this year.

Doesn't suit their agenda.
Good thing you said it 35 times in the last 5 posts, otherwise we wouldn't have known.

Yes, the question was excluding Pav because he played multiple positions. What other full forwards have you had? It's a genuine question.
Oh, it s genuine question. OK. Google it.

I'm sure it takes less time that you are taking to clog up this thread with inane rubbish.

Good day to you sir.

Oh, it s genuine question. OK. Google it.

I'm sure it takes less time that you are taking to clog up this thread with inane rubbish.

Good day to you sir.
Sir, you have more posts than me in this thread and none of them the least bit interesting.

Modra, completely forgot he played for Freo. Hopefully Amiss comes on, it seems to have been a missing piece for you for a while.

Good thing you said it 35 times in the last 5 posts, otherwise we wouldn't have known.

Here they are again just incase you missed them!

North played WC twice & Larkey kicked 8 in total.

Larkey had every opportunity to kick more goals against WC.

North played WC twice this year, Rnds 1 & 20.

You should do your research!

Twice in Rnds 1 & 20.

Surprises me (not) how so many 'neglect' to mention Larkey played twice against WC this year.

Doesn't suit their agenda.

My point still stands.

Larkey had every opportunity to kick more goals against WC.

Back