Should the Coleman medal be more than just about the most goals kicked by a forward?

Who did you enjoy watching more this year, Curnow or Tex?

• Curnow

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Tex

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I firmly believe that Gryan Miers should be awarded this year's Coleman Medal.

You’re really upset tex didn’t win huh?

No. The award is for most goals kicked. Tex didn’t kick the most goals.

If they actually had an award for more than just goals kicked it would obviously go to Larkey not Tex.
Bad call.

What Larkey did this year in a team as bad as North was phenomenal. Hell, it would have been phenomenal in a good team.

I even agree that he got shafted not getting to play vs North.

But of all the leading candidates, Larkey is the guy who does very little outside kicking goals.

We love Tex and admire what he's been able to achieve after looking very cooked in 2020, but really, this is a stupid thread
Making his first AA in his 16th season is crazy (meant as a serious compliment, not backhanded).

Mind you, he'd made a few AA squads before, but who the hell pulls out their best season at 33?!?

As you said, I remember him looking totally done a few years ago. Just an insane late-career comeback.

Does Oleg Markov look a bit like an under - Flinders - street - bridge - pimp to you?
It's actually his pimp name, inspired by him taking a nightly roll call of his 'night workers'

A leg - mark off 1
A leg - mark off 2
A leg...

Also might explain OPs user name... :p

Making his first AA in his 16th season is crazy (meant as a serious compliment, not backhanded).

Mind you, he'd made a few AA squads before, but who the hell pulls out their best season at 33?!?

As you said, I remember him looking totally done a few years ago. Just an insane late-career comeback.
The fact that Tex has finally made his first AA is part to do with this discussion topic. I’m sure Tex has had some genuine great seasons over the 16 years and he was arguably the top 3 forwards in some other season(s), but he missed out because he may have came fourth or fifth in the Coleman tally. As far as I can tell, the top 3 forwards in the Coleman tally are usually picked for the AA forwards position, with the rest being small forwards in top form and resting mids who couldn’t all fit for the midfield positions.

The more I think about it, the AA award is heavily biased towards midfielders who can also play up forward. It doesn’t reflect necessarily the best forwards during the respective years.

The more I think about it, the AA award is heavily biased towards midfielders who can also play up forward. It doesn’t reflect necessarily the best forwards during the respective years.

You dont say!?!

I don't suppose you know if Scott Pendelbury played another sport as a kid, do you?

You dont say!?!

I don't suppose you know if Scott Pendelbury played another sport as a kid, do you?
I’ve never really given the Coleman medal much thought previously. I guess, until this thread and my fetish for watching Tex kick goals this year.

I’ve never really given the Coleman medal much thought previously. I guess, until this thread and my fetish for watching Tex kick goals this year.
So now that you're paying attention to it you think it should be changed?

So now that you're paying attention to it you think it should be changed?
You do realise there is no right or wrong answer to a discussion thread?

I think the Coleman medal can remain as is if a player has a clear lead in the number of goals. If 2 players have the same amount of goals, then I’d like to see only one judged to be the winner, but not just looking at the person with the higher number of behinds.

I think the Coleman medal can remain as is if a player has a clear lead in the number of goals. If 2 players have the same amount of goals, then I’d like to see only one judged to be the winner, but not just looking at the person with the higher number of behinds.
Your thread is:

Should the Coleman medal be more than just about the most goals kicked by a forward?​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there is a wrong answer, and it's yours.

If two teams kick 16 goals in a game of football, one kicks 16.9 and the other kicks 16.16, but the 16.9 team had fewer free kicks resulting in shots on goal as well as easier shots, then they deserve to be declared the winners.

That's what you're saying, and it's wrong.

The Coleman Medal is the symbol of goalscoring excellence in the AFL, awarded to the player who kicks the most goals during each regular season

Thats the whole point. If Tex and Curnow finished with the same amount of goals they'd both share the award.

And Curnow has what technique to draw frees? Or is it just that defenders consistently infringe on him and he's justly rewarded half the time.

If it's the latter, perhaps just put away the mindless drivel on the topic?

Have you noticed the umpires have eased up on blowing the whistle once any slightest infringement occurs now that finals have begun?

Play last night's match one month ago, Curnow receives a couple of dubious free kicks.

Have you noticed the umpires have eased up on blowing the whistle once any slightest infringement occurs now that finals have begun?

Play last night's match one month ago, Curnow receives a couple of dubious free kicks.
Your point being what exactly? I saw dozens of free's that should have been paid not given last night because thats been the case in finals forever...

bugbear of mine. the umpires could umpire this way all year, but are instructed not to because 'finals footy'. it helps bring the game to its crescendo, the grand final. we sit through dubious interpretations all year just so that they can take them away at the pointy end of the season.

Player is better when the umpires pay more free kicks. Stop the press!

Wonder if the Cats numpty would go to such lengths to discredit Hawkins' Coleman in 2020.

Hawkins rarely gets paid free kicks.
In 2020, he received a grand total of 7 free kicks.

Just imagine if he received same luxury as what Curnow received the past two seasons :D
That's an extra 25-30 goals to the overall tally.

Hawkins rarely gets paid free kicks.
In 2020, he received a grand total of 7 free kicks.

Just imagine if he received same luxury as what Curnow received the past two seasons :D
That's an extra 25-30 goals to the overall tally.

In a shorter season, and having played 3-4 more games than the next most prolific forwards.

Undeserving winner!

In a shorter season, and having played 3-4 more games than the next most prolific forwards.

Undeserving winner!

You do realize the bloke you are currently potting is approaching 800 career goals?

But back to the topic of discussion, as one of the Carlton supporters pointed out a moment ago, umps have put the whistle away now it's finals time. Whenever Curnow puts up his arms questioning why it was not a free kick, he's dropping the head and looking defeated.
Needs to just get on with the game. He's much better than that.

Back