Multiplat AFL Evolution 2 - pre-launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean time would progress throughout the game or is it just changes for the lighting?
So if you start a game at twilight it’ll finish at night or if you start a game during the day, the sun will be setting in the last quarter, so the lighting changes throughout the game as time passes

I'm more interested if that was an actual game being played with players running all over the field. If so, it looks as if players no longer stay in their set positions and there can be an empty half of the field during play. Hope that's the case. Also looked as if players weren't sticking directly to their man either, which is good.

I'm more interested if that was an actual game being played with players running all over the field. If so, it looks as if players no longer stay in their set positions and there can be an empty half of the field during play. Hope that's the case. Also looked as if players weren't sticking directly to their man either, which is good.
According to this video, It is.

I was thinking this too but if you pause and zoom in you see that the players are all pairing up just like they have in every Wicked Witch AFL game ever.

I guess an improvement is that they seem to congest more around the ground.

Graphically though it looks beautiful, but raw graphics weren't the issue with Evo 1.

1554229021429.png

It will continue until they can prove they can make a game that plays as well as Big Ant's did 8 years ago. Seems like we're currently going through the same process as with Evolution - they hype it up by posting some player renders and game screenshots, but don't show any gameplay footage until the game is almost set to be released. When it is released, people realise it's just Live 2 with a new coat of paint.

I really enjoyed Evolutiion a lot, it was my game of the year two years running :D, it was addictive. Kept bouncing between the Xbox and pc versions :D. were people just expeting too much ? I think it nailed the fundamentals for me (marking, kicking, handpassing etc) and I was able to emulate many real life passages of play. The game wasn't all that difficult once you got the timing down.

RE: The lighting changes, I loved the twilight games at the MCG and Metricon in Evolution, the lighting of the ground(s) was superb - particularly during the third quarter. Can't wait to see what they do in Evolution 2.

Last edited:
So two Eagles and two Pies on the cover? Sure they're last years grand finalists but still seems a bit short sighted.
Could be like the AFL Live cover.

I was thinking this too but if you pause and zoom in you see that the players are all pairing up just like they have in every Wicked Witch AFL game ever.

Graphically though it looks beautiful, but raw graphics weren't the issue with Evo 1.

View attachment 647135
Looks like Ross is right. WW don't understand football, and this is why they only ever have one on one's. You'd think they would bother to put some game analysis into it after 10 years of developing these flops. The AFL are unbelievably stingy and that is ruining their own brand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cover can’t be worse than the one that has Cameron Wood on it.

The cover can’t be worse than the one that has Cameron Wood on it.
To this day I wonder why Sam Reid is on the cover of an AFL game.

View attachment 647135
It still looks as if there are a few players you havent circled who as far as I can tell, without zooming in, look to be seperated from their opponent. Aghhh.... can't wait to see some gameplay footage that isn't only viewable by the Hubble Telescope. I really have no high hopes whatsoever though. Played Evo1 for a week, maybe two, then again for a few days after the first and second major patches... still didn't compare even remotely for me to Big Ant's gameplay, which makes all the fancy accessories such as trading and drafting etc. basically redundant as I couldn't enjoy playing more than a handful of games. Fingers crossed I guess...

It still looks as if there are a few players you havent circled who as far as I can tell, without zooming in, look to be seperated from their opponent. Aghhh.... can't wait to see some gameplay footage that isn't only viewable by the Hubble Telescope. I really have no high hopes whatsoever though. Played Evo1 for a week, maybe two, then again for a few days after the first and second major patches... still didn't compare even remotely for me to Big Ant's gameplay, which makes all the fancy accessories such as trading and drafting etc. basically redundant as I couldn't enjoy playing more than a handful of games. Fingers crossed I guess...
Be careful praising Big Ant's version around here. Any preference to Live 1 is usually met with "rose coloured glasses" or "Big Ant fanboi" responses, as if it's somehow impossible to legitimately prefer it.

I'm with you though. I struggled through a season of Evo and there was just nothing in it after that for me. Just felt clumsy and rigid for me and had no pull to go back and keep playing, whereas with AFL Live 1 I played it flat out until Live 2 came out (and then even more after, I still boot it up on PC every now and then). Obviously the dream for me is a cleaned up AFL Live 1's gameplay/engine with AFL Evo's everything else (presentation, graphics, off field stuff).

is it gonna feature game of thrones round?

D3wJOXyU0AAEQ0N.jpg

Be careful praising Big Ant's version around here. Any preference to Live 1 is usually met with "rose coloured glasses" or "Big Ant fanboi" responses, as if it's somehow impossible to legitimately prefer it.

I'm with you though. I struggled through a season of Evo and there was just nothing in it after that for me. Just felt clumsy and rigid for me and had no pull to go back and keep playing, whereas with AFL Live 1 I played it flat out until Live 2 came out (and then even more after, I still boot it up on PC every now and then). Obviously the dream for me is a cleaned up AFL Live 1's gameplay/engine with AFL Evo's everything else (presentation, graphics, off field stuff).

I don't get it when some people say Evo is the best AFL game, when it's a massive step down in gameplay compared to Live 1. The players in Live 1 move more grounded and fluently, with weight. In Evo, the movement is all choppy, wobbly and weightless. There's also next to no game analysis in Evo, they just have one on one's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back