Remove this Banner Ad

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
I just went into Google to vote for the AFL Goal of the Year. I personally thought Patrick Cripps goal was the choice for goal of the year.

You can imagine my surprise then when I went in to vote and the choice was between Jack Newnes, Josh Daicos and ........... Jamie Cripps šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚

Cā€™mon AFL get your act together!!

Makes no difference.
Daicos' was daylight ahead of cripps who ran 40m with the footy and Newnes who's goal shouldnt have even been allowed in the first place.
how is "Newnes who's goal shouldnt have even been allowed in the first place." even a point? he kicked the goal and thats that, what happened before hand isnt even relevant.

I watched all 3 goals live as they happened.

Newnes was the amazing theatre being a game winner.

Daicos was a brilliant piece of skill.

Cripps gets the win IMO because up until he was about 55 metres out, at no point did I think that entire chain of play would result in a score. If you could have paused it live when he had the ball behind his back and told me he kicks a goal in the next 10 seconds I wouldn't have believed you.

Brett Daniels goal v us was the goal of the year by a ******* mile

Kicks the ball to himself, takes on two players and hits a dribble goal from 40m out along the boundary

If this was Eddie Betts they would make him a statue outside the ground.

Kicks the ball to himself, takes on two players and hits a dribble goal from 40m out along the boundary

agreed.
the lackluster commentary doesn't help it either.

...but I'm still trying to figure out how Bont didn't win it in 2014 so what do I know.

Actually I agree with you. I watched that live and thought it was quite possibly one of the greatest goals Iā€™ve ever seen. Up there with Akerā€™s legendary goal from the boundary in the wet at the Gabba.

Iā€™m still not sure how it didnā€™t make the top 3 to even vote for, otherwise yes that would be my choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id take Newnes over Cripps out of the 2.

1. Newnes won us the game from 45m out, outside the boundary on a wet slippery night.
2. Cripps kicked a goal in a game we lost to the wooden spooner and then played up to the 'crowd'........bit of a w***er move.
Result means jackshit. Cripps by a long way.

Take away the clutch aspect of Newnes kick and its just a good drop punt from a tight angle which we see most games.
If Newnes kick is there, then Grays should be as well. It was just a duplicate of Grays kick.

Brent Daniels goal should be here over Newnes

this not getting a nom is about as stupid as Francis' mark v. Port a couple of seasons being overlooked.

GotY without doubt.

Cerraā€™s goal should be up there but plays for the wrong team.
Heā€™s involved in the lead up.
The conditions were atrocious.
Used footy smarts to be open to receive.
Executed a perfect checkside from the boundary.
Agree

Cerra's goal v us was unreal especially in the conditions and the fact it was the match sealing goal

However the following week Brett Daniels goal v us was even better

having said that I was thought both of them would have been in the top 3 easily

Take away the clutch aspect of Newnes kick and its just a good drop punt from a tight angle which we see most games.
If Newnes kick is there, then Grays should be as well. It was just a duplicate of Grays kick.

Brent Daniels goal should be here over Newnes
You canā€™t just take away the clutch aspect out of it otherwise dom sheeds goal would just be an okay goal

You canā€™t just take away the clutch aspect out of it otherwise dom sheeds goal would just be an okay goal
My point is clutch goals happen all the time. They arent all after the siren, but there are clutch goals in pretty much every game.
But spectacular goals dont happen very often.
Daicos' goal was spectacular, and was also nearly as clutch as Newnes' goal. We wouldve lost if they missed that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back