AFL Industry - Voice Against Gender-Based Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne Kangaroo Legend Wayne Carey smashes a glass into his partner's face, still see his face on TV.
Gets busted with over the counter antihistamines, lifetime ban from all football related media.

That's the world we live in folks.
And is just about to be inducted into the NSW Australian Rules Hall of Fame... But standing in a circle with our arms around each other sends a powerful message :rolleyes:

No one buys me drinks in bars or pays for first dates
There are no 'men in leadership' quotas at work

In terms of safety, no one is walking down a dark alley without looking over their shoulder. Do women have more physical threats? Yes, absolutely, yet we're constantly being told women can do everything men can do. Why is their physical test to get into the police force easier? Seems some privilege

You've have a shocker with the male privilege stuff. Blokes being lectured and told we're the problem when 99.9% aren't, is doing no favours at all. Label me all you like, I'm right
Bahahahahahahaha oh f*** me... Getting bought a drink is the best example you can come up with... Why do most blokes do that? And what tends to happen if they don't get what they are after???

How many times have you walked with your keys in your hand, one exposed, just in case someone approaches you? How many times have you had to think about what you wear so that you don't send someone "the wrong message"?

You're just one of those "it's not all blokes" people... Sure, it isn't all men... But it sure ain't women...

You don't have to be the problem to be the solution.

Bahahahahahahaha oh f*** me... Getting bought a drink is the best example you can come up with... Why do most blokes do that? And what tends to happen if they don't get what they are after???

How many times have you walked with your keys in your hand, one exposed, just in case someone approaches you? How many times have you had to think about what you wear so that you don't send someone "the wrong message"?

You're just one of those "it's not all blokes" people... Sure, it isn't all men... But it sure ain't women...

You don't have to be the problem to be the solution.
Touch grass, some fresh air will do you well

My bet is domestic abusers (in Australia) trot out predictable uninformed statements about AFLW. That you are running with many of the same lines doesn't mean you're a domestic abuser, but it should make you feel embarrassed.
This is pretty bizarre. You're not likely to get much of an exchange with others with this as bait.

So now you're interested in the exact figures, despite claiming "AFLW runs at a loss" with no supporting figures? Like I said, predictable. Here is some stuff I've outlined in previous threads:

The AFL has spent $165m on AFLW to date. This figure is easily eclipsed by just a few examples of the funding it has brought in for upgraded facilities which are mostly used by the men's teams. $30m for Brisbane, $35m for Carlton, $40m for the Bulldogs, $40m for Sydney, $30m for Hawthorn.

Already at $175m, and I could go on for a long time, not just with funding but also sponsorship (clubs attract $500k+ p/a from just one deal). The AFL doesn't promote this because they like to pretend they're supporting financially non-viable women in football out of the goodness of their hearts, which fuels the sexist AFLW rhetoric you've channelled in this thread.
The AFL spent nearly $60m last year alone on the AFLW, and you reckon that's a good investment for clubs getting $500k in sponsorship?

Let's break it right down. Here is a simple question. Could the AFLW continue to exist in its current form without significant financial subsidisation from the AFL (over and above the TV/sponsorship the AFL can generate from the competition)?

You've have a shocker with the male privilege stuff. Blokes being lectured and told we're the problem when 99.9% aren't, is doing no favours at all. Label me all you like, I'm right
You aren't being told you are the problem.

If you're not part of the problem, then nobody is talking about you.

Why do you feel you are being told you are the problem?

You aren't being told you are the problem.

If you're not part of the problem, then nobody is talking about you.

Why do you feel you are being told you are the problem?
This is where the nuance is lost on most people. You can be a privileged male but not be the problem. They aren't mutually exclusive.

It's just an easy cop out for people who want to bury their heads and pretend that the responsibility for dealing with the problem doesn't lay with them.

This is where the nuance is lost on most people. You can be a privileged male but not be the problem. They aren't mutually exclusive.

It's just an easy cop out for people who want to bury their heads and pretend that the responsibility for dealing with the problem doesn't lay with them.

I suspect the issue a number of posters keep having with your posts is that you rely on sweeping generalisations as a catch-all accusation that anyone who doesn't agree with you is the problem.

The AFL spent nearly $60m last year alone on the AFLW, and you reckon that's a good investment for clubs getting $500k in sponsorship?

Let's break it right down. Here is a simple question. Could the AFLW continue to exist in its current form without significant financial subsidisation from the AFL (over and above the TV/sponsorship the AFL can generate from the competition)?
$500k from a single deal. Collectively women's teams are bringing in $20m per year via sponsorship and the league another $30m.

I just told you it brings in more money than the AFL spends on it, and yet you still persist. It's comforting for too-many-men to believe women are merely subsidised creatures, but while such an attitude lingers, the record of violence against women in this country will remain disgraceful.

This is pretty bizarre. You're not likely to get much of an exchange with others with this as bait.
Fine by me. It's just when people reply with "I don't have anything interesting to say to your post" (rather than just not replying at all) which shits me.

Would you rather find yourself alone in the woods with a bear or a man?
This is the question currently going across social media.
Most women answering the question say they would choose the bear, a decision that is jarring for many men.

How many father's on here with a daughter would say the man?
Close to zero I'd reckon

The AFL environment is perfect for Domestic Violence issues to be raised with its large male audience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most women answering the question say they would choose the bear, a decision that is jarring for many men.

Close to zero I'd reckon

The AFL environment is perfect for Domestic Violence issues to be raised with its large male audience

I suspect if you put people in the woods face to face with an actual bear their answer would change pretty quickly.

Unless it's a koala bear.

Close to zero I'd reckon

There is not a single person with more than one brain cell that would choose a bear. It's a social media question and answer aimed at getting clicks/attention. Agree with the last paragraph though

Last edited:
FFS... All men ARE privileged, particularly when you compare their lived experiences to those of women. Here's a fun little exercise for you to do... Spend some time talking about this with a female in your life. Ask them about adaptations that they make in their lives, just to be careful. Ask them if they've ever been inappropriately talked to, touched, etc. Ask them if they believe they have ever missed out on something due to a less deserving man getting it instead.

THAT is the privilege I am talking about, and no amount of statistics will ever change that.

Whoever came up with the idea that all men are privileged is a w***er when privilege is having something that sets you apart from most people. You can call AFL footballers privileged since they are elite sports people that enjoy the perks that come with that.

Last edited:
Victims of Homocide by sex in Australia 2022-2023 as follows:
Male: 133 at a rate of 1.04 per 100,000
Female 58 at a rate of 0.45 per 100,000

The data tells us men are twice as likely to be murdered as women. That is not what i would call privilege.

Men are also more likely be a perpetrator of homocides and that is an issue but is a different thing to simply saying all men are privileged.

Were nearly all 58 of those deaths DV?

Whoever came up with the idea that all men are privilege is a w***er when privilege is having something that sets you apart from most people. You can call AFL footballers privileged since they are elite sports people and enjoy the perks that come with that.
We literally have 2 women a week being killed by being beaten by men, can only imagine the number if they only included the beatings and injuries, yet you are getting upset over Men are privileged comment.

The facts are until recently It was ignored and accepted in a way, hell the old joke of "what do you tell a woman with two black eyes? nothing you have already told her twice" still goes around the work place.

The facts are men are privileged in relationships with woman. Even in this day and age.

Victims of Homocide by sex in Australia 2022-2023 as follows:
Male: 133 at a rate of 1.04 per 100,000
Female 58 at a rate of 0.45 per 100,000

The data tells us men are twice as likely to be murdered as women. That is not what i would call privilege.

Men are also more likely be a perpetrator of homocides and that is an issue but is a different thing to simply saying all men are privileged.
What the actual heck?

This has zero to do with DV.
Being killed by home invasion or being robbed in the street is not the same as being beaten, allot of the time to death, by someone who supposedly loves you.

We literally have 2 women a week being killed by being beaten by men, can only imagine the number if they only included the beatings and injuries, yet you are getting upset over Men are privileged comment.

The facts are until recently It was ignored and accepted in a way, hell the old joke of "what do you tell a woman with two black eyes? nothing you have already told her twice" still goes around the work place.

The facts are men are privileged in relationships with woman. Even in this day and age.

They are unrelated. I'm not defending men that bash and kill women, and society has to do a better job of protecting victims and educating boys on how to become mature adults that don't commit DV and other violence acts.

Last edited:
Where the hell are you working lmao.
That wouldn't pass in anywhere I've been in my working life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back