Rules AFL looking to ban jumper punches

Remove this Banner Ad

Are North supporters seriously calling Vince soft after that? I take it you've never received a punch to the guts when you aren't prepared for it. It doesn't take much at all.

Maybe he should be prepared if he's going to take cheap shots then front up like he has a point to prove.

Cotchin's was the most blown out in the history of the AFL all because he plays for the Richmond Football Club.

Unbelievable hysteria and proves once again #weareeveryonesgrandfinal

Richmond are everyone's grand final?

Mate no one gives 2 squirts about your pathetic club.
It has nothing to do with clubs trying extra hard to beat you, its all about how your club crumbles under any sort of pressure. I'll tell you what, it's bloody hilarious to watch!

It's not boxing. In boxing, hitting people is within the rules, therefore you have agreed to take punches - therefore it's not assault.

But it's not a part of the game, it's not in the rules, if a player wanted to, jumper punches and gut punches could probably go to court and with the cameras recording it's going to be straightforward to prove a case of assault. Deliberately hitting people is not accepted in the community, so it shouldn't be accepted with millions of people watching (and a whole stack of them are kids).

Besides, it's rubbish sportsmanship to take the wind out of someone. But turning a blind eye to it at AFL legitimises the year 7 kid putting a gut punch in on the year 6 kid who is a whole lot smaller in an interschool or auskick game. If a player is good, you negate them with better tactics or getting assistance with team mates - it's not the whacky races where you get to throw tacks on the ground to stuff up Penelope Pitstops car behind you or throw oil on the road.

These hero North supporters calling Vince soft are hilarious. Would love to see their reaction to a punch like that.
I was sitting very close to the Melbourne bench, and Vince vomited 2-3 times upon coming off the ground. Think he would have been expecting a shot to the chest/throat/jumper punch, not a low blow like that.
Still don't think he will get a week, nor should he. But the bull-s**t put out by these North supporters is utterly embarrassing.

Hahahaha what a ******* pussy

Another problem is the commentators, on one hand we have the measured response from Healy or Roos telling us it should be stamped out, then you have the rantings of BT screaming
"Oh Boy Wow Wee it's on Darce, have a look at that, it's what makes this game so great. Did he give him a love tap bring it on ?"

Derm " nothing in it BT, I remember back in 82 when Blah blah blah "

Truth is it was a hot topic last week and Cotchin only got a fine after he chinned Neale, that sends a message that's it's OK. Cant blame Cunnington because he can wear a 1k fine.

As usual too many mixed messages coming out

It's crazy that you get a free kick for barely touching a player in the back during a marking contest, but can grab a jumper and fling them to the ground for play on.

We could sit here all week and moan about interpretations of the rules, and by next Monday we'd be back in the same place.

Agreed, Cotchin should have been rubbed out last week. Was a disgraceful decision and Bartel trying to justify it was pitiful.

Then why have players just been getting fined? Charlie Cameron belted Kayne Turner in the guts and got $2500 for a second offence.

Because the AFL/MRP are an amateur organisation that makes policy on the run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, Cotchin should have been rubbed out last week. Was a disgraceful decision and Bartel trying to justify it was pitiful.

Another thing that really pissed me off was when Vince was doubled over on the sidelines dry retching, one of the commentators were insinuating he was putting on a show because the punch wasn't that hard. They should be stood down for those comments

How do they know how hard it was, idiots

The only thing suprising is that its only just being discussed. Punches before the bounce, punches off camera not even a free kick been happening for years.

Meanwhile step over the mark by 30 cm, and its 50 meters.

Ridiculous.

I actually like david shwarz idea of if you throw a punch its an automatic week.

This insufficient force s**t is idiotic. Why does someone need to be bleeding or broken for the instigator to get a suspension?

If you start banning players they will stop doing it very quickly. As long as they know they have a fair chance to get away with it it will continue.

Last edited:
Exactly, which is why I'm sure Cunnington will get banned today.

As I said, I don't the gut punches or jumper punches, but the AFL has legitimised them by not clamping down on them.

Cunnington won't get suspended.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-22/mrp-member-wants-new-powers-on-punches

GEELONG great Jimmy Bartel wants the Match Review Panel to have a greater ability to distinguish between football and non-football acts to help stamp out blatant jumper and gut punches.

In the MRP's eyes (Bartel's anyway) they don't have the power to distinguish between "football" and "non-football" acts. I think they're overthinking things here. How about if someone gets punched in the face treat it as a punch regardless of whether the offender has a hold of someones jumper.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-22/afl-may-hook-jumper-punches-mclachlan

THE AFL could look to change its rules to stamp out the jumper-punching blight on the game, chief executive Gillon McLachlan says.

Why do they need to change the rules? A strike is a strike. Just enforce the rules you already have you peanuts. It's their fault for letting it get to this stage in the first place. They set the precedent with their ridiculous penalties/non-penalties.

I saw that the afl have said they want to change the rules to get rid of jumper punches. What? Why do you need to change the rules? Just enforce them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Why even bother starting this thread? Condemn an act but happy when your player gets off? Strange.

My argument a bit too complicated for you?

I said I don't like them, but the MRP has legitimised them by not suspending players previously. Can't change the rules after they've ok'd them previously.

The AFL should come out now and say that they won't be tolerated anymore.

Disgraceful that Cunnington didn't get a ban for a deliberate forceful punch to the guts. Very bad look.
Salem lightly brushes someone and gets a week, what a joke.

My argument a bit too complicated for you?

I said I don't like them, but the MRP has legitimised them by not suspending players previously. Can't change the rules after they've ok'd them previously.

The AFL should come out now and say that they won't be tolerated anymore.
You dont like them but you're happy that your player got off.

You're right,the afl has allowed them to continue and fester. But your reaction is a contradiction to your supposed belief.

AFL can change the rules, the MRP, the punishments whenever they like and they are making media statements like they dont like gut punches and jumper punches but dont do anything about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back