AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL is a long way off overtaking the NRL in Queensland. They are arguably ahead of the NRL in some Queensland markets.

Queensland is the most decentralised population in Australia and every major regional town provides a pathway to the NRL via the Queensland Cup.

While Aussie Rules only gives you a clear talent pathway in the south east corner.
Which markets do you think AFL is ahead of NRL?

Which markets do you think AFL is ahead of NRL?
It would have a greater presence on the Gold Coast. While the Suns haven’t been successful on field yet they have a lot of talent about to graduate their academy.

I’d still say the NRL is ahead in Cairns they host a Queensland cup side and still have more junior and senior clubs.

I’d still say the NRL is ahead in Cairns they host a Queensland cup side and still have more junior and senior clubs.

Cairns has a league of 7 Australian Football clubs (including Port Douglas) and 5 rugby league clubs who play in the FNQRL.
It's a case of whether you talk about Cairns or the Cairns district.
Frankly this thread is code war click-bait but AFL is making incremental progress.

Quick fact check - there are 11 teams in the CDRL competition, not 5.

Even if you were trying to do a like for like with Cairns only, you have included Port Douglas in the AFL competition, but excluded Mossman / Port Douglas from the rugby league competition. (Mossman, for those without local knowledge, is right near Port Douglas, but is where non-tourists and non-wealthy locals reside.)

You have also excluded Mareeba and Yarrabah from the rugby league team count even though they are both closer than Port Douglas to Cairns.

For a like for like:
CDRL: Ivanhoes, Innisfail, Kangaroos, Mossman / Port Douglas, Mareeba, Yarrabah, Tully, Atherton, Edmonton, Souths
AFL: Port Douglas, Saints, North Cairns, Centrals, Cairns City, South Cairns, Manunda

Nobody said there wasn't.
"It's a case of whether you talk about Cairns or the Cairns district"

If you take a look, this blokes posting history is pretty much all just talking down afl and up nrl. Not saying he isn't correct about cairns I wouldn't know, but seems like he's clearly on here for that sole purpose.

It would have a greater presence on the Gold Coast. While the Suns haven’t been successful on field yet they have a lot of talent about to graduate their academy.

The AFL clubs in Cairns & PD are full of southerners in their 20s working in hospitality/tourism up there. From my Vic mates that live/work up there, the locals are still clearly pro NRL. Two to one.

Also - Aussie rules will often be ahead in participation in places like Cairns and GC even if RL is ahead in general interest. RL is a bloody tough game to play as an adult. General interest is hard to measure, but it is more important that participation. Otherwise soccer and basketball would be the top sports in Australia. To get an idea of general interest, you need to talk to people that love there, parents, kids - who is wearing what on footy jumpers day. Read the papers and listen to the radio. Based on general interest, RL would still be top in every corner of Qld.

The AFL clubs in Cairns & PD are full of southerners in their 20s working in hospitality/tourism up there.

Again, "It's a case of whether you talk about Cairns or the Cairns district"

Aussie rules will often be ahead in participation in places like Cairns and GC even if RL is ahead in general interest.

I have a "general interest" in American Football, Gaelic Football and international rugby - does that account for anything tangible.

Spot on. It is completely accurate to say there are 6 AFL teams in Cairns, or 7 AFL teams in the Cairns District.

Just thought it was a bit weird to talk about in Cairns for the AFL and then include a Port Douglas team for one code but not the other.

I have a "general interest" in American Football, Gaelic Football and international rugby - does that account for anything tangible.
1. It is not a case of Cairns or Cairns district. RL is more popular in both. Talk to people who live and work there and you will find that this is the case.

2. No, we are simply talking about NRL v AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA3 for team 20
SA3 for team 21
ACT for team 22
Nah. WA and SA should wait. Would harm existing rivalries and clubs.
Canberra is the obvious 20th team.
Should've happened 10-20 years ago.

If the league was serious about making the league less Victorian dominated, and Australia wide, North Melbourne and St Kilda would be relocated.

I reckon you'd find the city of Geelong (approx 250k) alone produces more AFL players than the state of Tasmania (approx 550k).
Yeah cool. 280k in Geelong and 50k on the surf coast, 50k between Warrnambool and Colac. That doesn’t take in all the entire population in the Falcons zone. They had 3 players drafted as opposed to Tasmania’s 4

I reckon you'd find the city of Geelong (approx 250k) alone produces more AFL players than the state of Tasmania (approx 550k).
… and there are reasons for that, the same reasons why Victoria produces more than 50% of AFL-listed players. Hailing from a state with 10 AFL clubs (compared to 0) and the best statewide U18 competition in the country has its advantages. Tassie only re-joined the Coates Talent League full-time in 2019, just before Covid, yet that improved level of competition and exposure is already starting to bear fruit in terms of draftees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back