Review AFL Rating of WCE 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quirk of the finals draw with so many teams being so close to each other this year, we ran into a side that has now beaten the top 2 from last year, and their manic style of play is brutally effective at the moment.

If Collingwood had beaten Hawthorn we play North and if we won the loser of Sydney-Adelaide QF, so probably Adelaide in Adelaide. Two teams we match up well against, could be playing in a PF this week. That's how close the season has been.

Quirk of the finals draw with so many teams being so close to each other this year, we ran into a side that has now beaten the top 2 from last year, and their manic style of play is brutally effective at the moment.

If Collingwood had beaten Hawthorn we play North and if we won the loser of Sydney-Adelaide QF, so probably Adelaide in Adelaide. Two teams we match up well against, could be playing in a PF this week. That's how close the season has been.
If there werent the bye the Dogs would have been out first week...

Dogs would have not regained their players from injury, they would have consecutive Perth travel, 6 of our players would not have had the flu. List goes on. The bye helped them immensely.
I'm not seeing definitive proof.

Played good footy when it was on our terms. Played garbage when it counted. Pretty simple. Kbye
Unfortunately this one sums up the season. We're not too far off the pace, and we certainly aren't a poor team. But we definitely don't like it when teams take it up to us. We need to accept that football - especially against the top teams - is going to ebb and flow and the momentum of a game won't always be running our way. But we need to acknowledge when that is happening, harden the **** up and limit the damage.

In most of our losses there have been seriously damaging periods from the opposition where we just haven't been able to stem the tide -> Dogs kicked 7 unanswered goals from halfway through Q1 to halfway through Q2, Adelaide kicked the last 8 goals from halfway through Q3 to the full time siren, Cats 9 goals to 1 in a little bit more than one quarter, Swans kicked 6 goals to 0 in just under a quarter* and Hawks kicked 5 before we were on the board.

If we can limit the damage in those periods to half of what it is when the opposition have momentum it at least gives us a chance. We might not win still, but we stay in those games and you can come back from a few goals down. But when you leak 6 or 7 goals the margin just blows too far out to come back from.

We've basically got the opposite problem of what Fremantle (and previously St Kilda under Ross) had in years gone by where they keep the opposition in the match by not putting them away when they are on top. We struggle to keep ourselves in the match when the opposition is on top.

It's an all over the ground problem. The leaders have to recognise the opposition have got themselves some momentum and we have to resolve around the ground to just stand up to the barrage, tackle like crazy during this period, slow the game down, and know that the nature of footy is within 20 minutes (30 at the most) the game will ebb back into our control and know we have the potency up front to run over the opposition. Nothing kills an opposition mentally like having the run of play for 30 minutes but only kicking 3-4 goals and then seeing the opposition answer those goals within 5 or 10 minutes.

*The Swans game was compounded by a rare impotence with our attack. After kicking our 4th a minute into the second quarter, we only kick 3 more for the game - those 3 all kicked within 4 minutes of each other during the third quarter. We actually went completely scoreless in that game for periods of 31 minutes (then3 goals in 4 minutes) 27 minutes (then 4 behinds in 3 minutes) and the final 18 minutes of the match.

I'm not seeing definitive proof.
You are blind then.

I think the original post was an opinion rather than a statement of fact, even if ep framed it as the latter.

It's a reasonable opinion to have, but it doesn't mean much in reality.

In my opinion, given the way the Bulldogs are playing, they were always going to be in with a better chance of knocking out the Hawks than us. I'm disappointed in the Eagles' effort as much as if not more than most. My right middle knuckle is still sore after whacking the bench in front of me at the final siren.

Hawks are out, and I'm salivating at the thought of GWS v Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a wild card Jetta is for us next season. Fingers crossed he improves his game by 15% on last season and we'll have a weapon. Gonna throw Karpanys name in the same conversation too.

It'd be great but you have to ask yourself -> How many (non KPP) blokes go from 1 game in their first three seasons on a list to being a gamebreaker? It's not unachievable but it's pretty rare.

More would if clubs persisted. Jye Bolton just won the Sandover at 24 after being on the Pies list but only ever playing NAB Cup I believe. Takes some small guys a bit longer to put it all together. We have more patience than most clubs so let's see if it pays off

More would if clubs persisted. Jye Bolton just won the Sandover at 24 after being on the Pies list but only ever playing NAB Cup I believe. Takes some small guys a bit longer to put it all together. We have more patience than most clubs so let's see if it pays off
Potentially, but just because Bolton wins the Sandover medal doesn't mean he is good enough to be another above a serviceable player at AFL level and at 24 there isn't much improvement left. Looking at the Sandover leaderboard and it's full of blokes who were nothing more than decent at AFL level. Matt De Beor came second, is only 2 years older - I can't imagine there are going to be too many people thinking he should get much more of a crack in the AFL.

In regards to Karpany I hope he comes good. I want all our guys to come good. But at this stage it would be more of a bonus than based on any sort realistic expectation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back