Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Round 3
Geelong V Carlton
Geelong-logo-2008.gif
--------- V ---------
Carlton-logo-2006.gif
________________________________________________________​
Saturday April 13​
Etihad Stadium 7:40 PM (Local Time)​

Early guess at the changes for next week...

In: Johnson (if fit, otherwise Horlin-Smith)
Out: Brown (omitted)

Doubt we'll need a 3rd tall defender against Carlton, since they usually go with just the two tall forwards. Will probably need an extra runner/midfielder though.

Would probably go for Smedts as the sub too. His pace and extra height across half forward late in the game could be hard for them to match up on.

I'm worried about this one, I'm actually expecting a loss.
Not saying I dont HOPE we win and I'm not jumping off or anything before some of you less forgiving drive the knife in I just think the blues will be hurting and we have came off 2 HARD games and 6 day breaks. Logic suggests (and I know it rarely does with the Cats) we cant back it up.

Guess for changes:
In: SJ, Rivers and maybe GHS.
Out: Likely Brown (unlucky though), Smedts (rest) and Mackie (sore/rest).

Yo is this one fully ticketed? Surely it is, gonna be a big crowd.

).

Yeah I'm seriously thinking about tipping Carlton (unfortunately). Etihad, at night- they do well against us. I remember feeling a massive sigh of relief when West Coast got over the line against them in '11. ;)

Carlton have never beaten us at Etihad though in 10 attempts, losing by an average margin of 7 goals. Have been close games lately though (12 points last year, 2 points the year before).

Put me down as a worried person, especially with the two losses the Blues have had so far this season, they'll be wanting blood. We've well and truly been given a tough fixture so far. Wish we got the gravy train that the Swans have been given so far.

Not saying I dont HOPE we win and I'm not jumping off or anything before some of you less forgiving drive the knife in I just think the blues will be hurting and we have came off 2 HARD games and 6 day breaks. Logic suggests (and I know it rarely does with the Cats) we cant back it up.

Guess for changes:
In: SJ, Rivers and maybe GHS.
Out: Likely Brown (unlucky though), Smedts (rest) and Mackie (sore/rest).

Yeah you'd think Scott will keep the rotations happening now. With GHS having 10 minutes of footy in 2 games it'd make sense to bring in a fresh midfielder after 2 tough games. Smedts could be either the sub or dropped as he was pretty quiet today.

I know it's early but gee whiz! Next week's game is so big for the club because basically all teams around us play each other, a win against Carlton and we get that early buffer even if it's only round 3.
A loss, and well, we are back amongst the pack.

We also have yet to win a 1st or 2nd quarter of footy, be great to come out in first quarter and put 6 past the Blues to take a handy 3-4 goal halftime lead.

Scotland will be a definite in for them. I assume Duigan would be a chance to come back in too. Their forward line will be considerably under strength and if we can keep their ruckmen from bobbing up for goals, I don't think they'll be able to kick a winning score against us. Come on boys: 3-0 would be massive, heading up to Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland will be a definite in for them. I assume Duigan would be a chance to come back in too. Their forward line will be considerably under strength and if we can keep their ruckmen from bobbing up for goals, I don't think they'll be able to kick a winning score against us. Come on boys: 3-0 would be massive, heading up to Sydney.
I hope north rollover against them giving them 3 easy wins then we come in all shock and awe-y pew pew pew.

Torn on this. It is a huge game for them as you never want to be 0 and 3. They are dangerous and tend to challenge us. On the other hand apart from a fairly strong midfield they are still all over the place structurally. They do not have enough key defenders (or forwards). Then again our kicking to big forwards close to goal has been that ####en substandard lately it may not matter. Up forward Casbalt is learning but is still very raw and outside of that it is all goal sneaks. We should really be able to find a way but I don't want us falling 5 goals plus down again. Just Rivers in for Brown at this stage.

As long as we do something about the clearances in the first half, we'l have every chance to win. According the the AFL site, Christensen is our leading clearance winner with 8, in 44th place across the league. So... plenty of work ahead of us.

In: SJ, GHS
Out: Brown, .....hmmm, Smedts probably, though I would back him to turn it around this week, and his pace is valuable,,,

Not sure we need a 3rd tall defender this week, so would only bring Rivers back in if his knee is 110%

Also expecting a big one from Tommy. Going about it quietly thus far but still has 5 goals to his name, and is kicking reasonably well.

If we sleep for half the match like the last 2 games we are due for a loss.
Just wish we could play out 4 quarters for once. Do that and were certainties.

Frustrating cos our best is better than anyone's.

Prefer to give Smedts 1 more to turn his form, he needs a rocket JATM.

Who can we expect to come up for the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back