News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

I love pick swaps but it’s a joke that teams can hold more picks then list spots to match bids during the draft. Defeats the whole purpose

Draft has become prime time tv these days, pick swap chaos is a key attraction for broadcast networks. Doubt AFL will change it.

10 clubs from Vic, another 4 in traditional states with a production line of quality.
Wonder how the responses will go……..
ideally the NSW/Qld academies are kept and this NGA nonsense is scrapped.

Vic, SA and WA clubs should have to pitch academies to the AFL with a business case, long term plan and investment before they can "reserve' a player
im all for the Dons having Tiwi access for example, but they should be providing evidence of the investment into the community quite broadly if they're getting access to talent.

ideally the NSW/Qld academies are kept and this NGA nonsense is scrapped.

Vic, SA and WA clubs should have to pitch academies to the AFL with a business case, long term plan and investment before they can "reserve' a player
im all for the Dons having Tiwi access for example, but they should be providing evidence of the investment into the community quite broadly if they're getting access to talent.

And when WC says that it pays multi millions a year to fund the development of junior talent out of WA - do they get priority access to a WA junior every year?

And when WC says that it pays multi millions a year to fund the development of junior talent out of WA - do they get priority access to a WA junior every year?
I don't think there's a case to be made for a WA academy per se.
But if there was an area in WA where kids don't have pathways that the other kids have, and WCE invest in creating that for them, they should be able draft the gems that come through via the same bidding process.

My point is, having kids like JUH, Mackenzie etc in academies when they're making it through fine and they just so happen to have parents from another country isn't what the academy system should be for

WA junior pathways were there before the Eagles and it's the Eagles' licence holder funding them. Which junior pathways outside the WAFL did the Eagles begin and staff?

WA junior pathways were there before the Eagles and it's the Eagles' licence holder funding them. Which junior pathways outside the WAFL did the Eagles begin and staff?

Your argument seems to deny credit for the continued operation of something.

If the answer to the question of "which pathways continue without the WCE financial contribution?" is none of them because the league is quite literally on a knife edge financially - then I don't think it matters who starts it.

If the AFL took over that financial contribution so the WCE members/supporters/sponsors got better return for their money in regards to being able to build stadiums themselves etc then the playing field is level.

But they won't. So if the pathways evaporate without the money, the entity paying the money year after year is responsible for their existence.

Your argument seems to deny credit for the continued operation of something.

If the answer to the question of "which pathways continue without the WCE financial contribution?" is none of them because the league is quite literally on a knife edge financially - then I don't think it matters who starts it.
I mean, the same can be said for the Swans' zone pathways, with the exception that it's the Swans who staff and run them, not just have their licence holder fund them.

What are the numbers for the Eagles payments to the WAFC and distribution to the WAFL?
If the AFL took over that financial contribution so the WCE members/supporters/sponsors got better return for their money in regards to being able to build stadiums themselves etc then the playing field is level.

But they won't. So if the pathways evaporate without the money, the entity paying the money year after year is responsible for their existence.
I'm missing something, financial contribution? The WAFC are the licence holders for the Eagles, their controllers. You can't seperate them. Are you talking about the amount distributed to the WAFL from the WAFC?

I mean, the same can be said for the Swans' zone pathways, with the exception that it's the Swans who staff and run them, not just have their licence holder fund them.

What are the numbers for the Eagles payments to the WAFC and distribution to the WAFL?

I'm missing something, financial contribution? The WAFC are the licence holders for the Eagles, their controllers. You can't seperate them. Are you talking about the amount distributed to the WAFL from the WAFC?

This article measures it at being in the $160m so far.

$2.7 million in 2022 also noted there.

That money contributes to the ongoing costs of running the league that develop the draftees who get picked by clubs that run their 2nds team in a league funded by the AFL.

The only difference between the WCE and the Swans is that Sydney can make the case that more of their players wouldn't be available for the league to draft as a proportion of total draftable players due to the talent pathways steering them towards AFL over other sports.

I'm giving the Swans credit here for financing and staffing everything in their academies, similar to how the NGA academies in WA operate and ignoring the young people in WA who are supported into the league from very remote areas or disadvantaged circumstances.

I don't think that the WAFL pushes out nearly as many draftable players without the WCE existing and if we need to consider the WCE/FRE as the same entity as the WAFC for the purposes of them funding themselves it actually makes the case for that investment getting a better return, not less.

The WAFC is required to sacrifice financial power for it's two AFL clubs to fund the development of players taken by other clubs. The WAFC should get a return that makes their investments stronger.

A second round pick for both WCE and FRE would be reasonable, every year at the start of the round - or perhaps we have the same access to academy players as the Swans do and can match a bid on them the same.

This article measures it at being in the $160m so far.

$2.7 million in 2022 also noted there.

That money contributes to the ongoing costs of running the league that develop the draftees who get picked by clubs that run their 2nds team in a league funded by the AFL.
Is the AFL funding the SANFL or VFL now? I am genuinely unaware of this. All Google gives me is a legacy funding of 8 million after Gather Round.

I am intruiged by your choice of article though, it clearly makes the point that the WAFC and WAFL isn't benefiting greatly from the Eagles' input. If that money disappeared into thin air, yeah it would affect the WAFC and leagues below it, but selling the Eagles licence would more than cover the rate they've been paying for a fair while. I can't agree with the line that 'The Eagles pay a fraction of their income to theír licence holder who is responsible for the league that is part of the talent development pipeline in the state, therefore they deserve draft concessions'.

This all said, I would fully support similar concessions for setting up and running an academy in the equivalent of Armidale or the Northern Rivers where no football pathways existed currently.

Well we can expect this review to be beautifully balanced. As far as I can deduce we have -

10 clubs in Victoria including all the sacred 'big' clubs, elite junior system funded by the AFL

4 clubs in traditional AFL states, elite junior systems funded by the states

4 clubs in NRL/soccer states, elite junior systems funded by the clubs who find talent as young as 10 years old to try and guide into AFL over other codes, particularly the cash throwing at tennagers NRL

Looks like a scenario to find the correct competitive balance? I reckon there will be lots of Vicbias in the decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon there will be lots of Vicbias in the decisions.

Just getting in early. A work around would be that athletes that are brought to the AFL by a club, anywhere, gets priority access for that club.

But that will include guys who play cricket in summer and "choose footy" and go to the club that they've been attached to for a few years already. Even if they are rubbish at cricket.

Just getting in early. A work around would be that athletes that are brought to the AFL by a club, anywhere, gets priority access for that club.

But that will include guys who play cricket in summer and "choose footy" and go to the club that they've been attached to for a few years already. Even if they are rubbish at cricket.
May as well shut down the draft then.
The elite systems of the traditional states don’t need the Academy structure.

May as well shut down the draft then.
The elite systems of the traditional states don’t need the Academy structure.

I think the clubs that have significantly less potential father sons (based on the number of fathers in the age bracket who qualify) should have the academies.

GC, GWS, Fremantle, Port and St Kilda are quite a way behind the rest of the competition and I think academy benefits for those clubs will make the advantage of the other clubs less pronounced.

Here's the data:
FatherSons64to82.png

I think the clubs that have significantly less potential father sons (based on the number of fathers in the age bracket who qualify) should have the academies.

GC, GWS, Fremantle, Port and St Kilda are quite a way behind the rest of the competition and I think academy benefits for those clubs will make the advantage of the other clubs less pronounced.

Here's the data:
View attachment 1897088
Where is this data found?

Here's the data:
View attachment 1897088
lol you’ve heartland quality setups in the youth development.

Give NSW and QLD that and we will happily hand over academy’s.

lol you’ve heartland quality setups in the youth development.

Give NSW and QLD that and we will happily hand over academy’s.

I wasn't asking you to lose the academies, I think your lack of father son dads means you should keep them until it's an even playing field. And the likes of Freo, GC, Port should have them too.

Even if there was just no discount then GC would’ve had to come up with the equivalent of pick 12. That would’ve changed everything.

Also getting rid of the ability to gain extra picks to match bids during the draft is the first thing that should happen and a joke that it was allowed

Its ridiculous that once the draft opens at 7.01pm you can trade in picks you dont even have list spots for and use them for bid matching.

I wasn't asking you to lose the academies, I think your lack of father son dads means you should keep them until it's an even playing field. And the likes of Freo, GC, Port should have them too.
Missed the point of my post eh?

I don’t want an unfair advantage I want a fair comp.

WA s a traditional state already has the structure there at grassroots level. NSW and QLD don’t. That’s why the Academies are needed.
If our grassroots gets improved then we won’t need them

Its ridiculous that once the draft opens at 7.01pm you can trade in picks you dont even have list spots for and use them for bid matching.
That is why they surely limit number of picks to match, I think they will limit it to 3 even though many here think 2 is what it should be.

Missed the point of my post eh?

I don’t want an unfair advantage I want a fair comp.

WA s a traditional state already has the structure there at grassroots level. NSW and QLD don’t. That’s why the Academies are needed.
If our grassroots gets improved then we won’t need them

The point of my post was that the academies represent a material advantage and since there is a long term one that already exists with father son picks heavily benefiting the long term clubs there can be two issues resolved at once.

Especially if the WA clubs are bringing young people from well outside the Perth or large country footy blocks to the WAFL system which is so condensed you can visit all their training in a few hours driving around Perth but take an entire day to drive nearly all the way to the top of WA.

The point of my post was that the academies represent a material advantage and since there is a long term one that already exists with father son picks heavily benefiting the long term clubs there can be two issues resolved at once.

Especially if the WA clubs are bringing young people from well outside the Perth or large country footy blocks to the WAFL system which is so condensed you can visit all their training in a few hours driving around Perth but take an entire day to drive nearly all the way to the top of WA.
Ahh so not a football/competition equality thing but a “I want my club to have” thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back