Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the classic Essendon shortcut though, isn't it? The investment itself didn't pay off, and denied us picking players who might've fit holes over the next 8 or so years. Now we just need to add the support that could already have been there. Paper the cracks and a perennial 8-14th list.

Caldwell cost us on top of Shiel. He wasn't thrown in as part of the deal.
I understand but I prefer to talk about what we should do moving forward rather than an average trade done 6 years ago by an administration that largely isn't there anymore. We're at a point where we can address anything that may have set us back.

If we repeat that however, then there'll be an issue.

I understand but I prefer to talk about what we should do moving forward rather than an average trade done 6 years ago by an administration that largely isn't there anymore. We're at a point where we can address anything that may have set us back.

If we repeat that however, then there'll be an issue.
If you don't learn from history you're doomed to repeat it. We've got a skinny draft hand this year, the 7th for least points, as it stands. I'd like them to stop burning the future chasing sugar hits.

If you don't learn from history you're doomed to repeat it. We've got a skinny draft hand this year, the 7th for least points, as it stands. I'd like them to stop burning the future chasing sugar hits.
Hey, 7th for least points given our draw is pretty good. Lets see how it is at mid season.

Caldwell cost us on top of Shiel. He wasn't thrown in as part of the deal.

Yes he wasn't thrown in however, Caldwell (2018) cost pennies, Duursma (2018) cost a #66 BZT and we flipped #35 into Jones (2019).

If these players were not brought in, then the deal would've left a much more noticeable glaring hole indictive of that time period. However, in the aftermath, it did not, as we've filled that gap with two first rounders and a KPF prospect. We've done well to minimize the type of delayed damage such a deal could have made down the line in terms of youth talent on the list.

Then you go on to say that you want the club to "learn from history" and to "stop burning the future" when the club has literally done that since 2018 and hasn't traded it's first round draft pick for 5 years, with the current coach being the one to use "not chasing sugar hits" in a presser before you did.

Then you also have to remember it takes a lot more to build a list than using first round draft picks. You have to nail a few gems in the lower drafts, create competition for spots, develop, make your club attractive enough with stability and consistency on-field to win over free agents which cost nothing in draft capital, and then also pull off crucial trades. Trades (which all successful clubs have done) that are not possible to orchestrate unless you give up something worth it.

Let it go mate, it's over.

Could play all Mckay, Hayes, Lav and Kelly down back this week

Eagles have
Darling, Waterman, Williams and Maric. Plus L.Ryan who Kelly/Lav would be possible matchups for

Pretty good suggestion. Can you get away with those 4 + Heppell? Scott appears to really like all 3 of Lav, Kelly and Hep - and I can see why, I think any coach would. I just think we’d work better both defensively and moving the ball out of the D50 with two of the three. Ideally the odd man out as depth, which was probably going to be the case before Reid got hurt (think Lav or maybe Kelly was emg)

Yes he wasn't thrown in however, Caldwell (2018) cost pennies, Duursma (2018) cost a #66 BZT and we flipped #35 into Jones (2019).

If these players were not brought in, then the deal would've left a much more noticeable glaring hole indictive of that time period. However, in the aftermath, it did not, as we've filled that gap with two first rounders and a KPF prospect. We've done well to minimize the type of delayed damage such a deal could have made down the line in terms of youth talent on the list.

Then you go on to say that you want the club to "learn from history" and to "stop burning the future" when the club has literally done that since 2018 and hasn't traded it's first round draft pick for 5 years, with the current coach being the one to use "not chasing sugar hits" in a presser before you did.

Then you also have to remember it takes a lot more to build a list than using first round draft picks. You have to nail a few gems in the lower drafts, create competition for spots, develop, make your club attractive enough with stability and consistency on-field to win over free agents which cost nothing in draft capital, and then also pull off crucial trades. Trades (which all successful clubs have done) that are not possible to orchestrate unless you give up something worth it.

Let it go mate, it's over.
When did Brad say that? I must've picked it up.

I agree we need more than first round picks. That's why I'm voicing concern over throwing away future second and thirds, trading picks out in draft. It's also why I will continue to point out Caldwell wasn't part of the Shiel trade, no matter how you want to misrepresent it.

Not the mid we need IMO. Best on a wing. Small forward, key forward or an inside mid with pace.

McCluggage would improve us. I'm not opposed, but as a couple of people have said, he's not a direct need.

The price tag doesn't really phase me, we know we've been front-loading contracts for years. But a small forward would be a greater need.

I'd guess the logic if we got him would be put him on a wing pairing with Duursma, and move Cox to a more permanent role, probably back.

I do like our approach of targeting free agents over giving up high draft picks.

Essendon are reportedly one of 4 VIC clubs pursuing McCluggage (Collingwood, St Kilda, Essendon and Geelong).
A couple of years ago I would have said 100% yes given its through Free Agency, but now I'm not too sure. It would reportedly cost $1.3 million to get him out. I'm inclined to say no.
How much has the cap gone up?? 1.3.. wowza

How much has the cap gone up?? 1.3.. wowza

Saw a quote recently that this year the salary cap is in the ballpark of just north of $15million. Average player wage was somewhere in the $450,000 area.

I at least get the debate around not making players salaries visible (regardless of where I fall on that side of the argument). But I'm not sure why this kind of information isn't easily accessible. Maybe it is, and I just don't know where to look haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon are reportedly one of 4 VIC clubs pursuing McCluggage (Collingwood, St Kilda, Essendon and Geelong).
A couple of years ago I would have said 100% yes given its through Free Agency, but now I'm not too sure. It would reportedly cost $1.3 million to get him out. I'm inclined to say no.
Is not Perko our McLuggage? I don't see where he fits. On a wing in place of Kelly?

Saw a quote recently that this year the salary cap is in the ballpark of just north of $15million. Average player wage was somewhere in the $450,000 area.

I at least get the debate around not making players salaries visible (regardless of where I fall on that side of the argument). But I'm not sure why this kind of information isn't easily accessible. Maybe it is, and I just don't know where to look haha.

You can easily search and find the salay cap and average wage figure

Individual player salaries aren't formally released but the highest earners are usually known, and their salary range (e.g. Dusty $1.25 - $1.35m) is likely reasonably accurate.

surely north don’t need to lock down another kid on a long deal (especially one without a senior game under his belt), they need senior players who aren’t totally awful to support the talented kids they already have. Though if they wanted to give away their draft picks with tassie on the horizon i wouldn’t try to talk them out of it.
The issue is quality mature players dont want to go anywhere near Arden Street

They already have those guys in Greenwood, L.Shiels, Corr, Tucker, Logue

Really senior players arent changing the standards at the club they care very little about imo

Pretty good suggestion. Can you get away with those 4 + Heppell? Scott appears to really like all 3 of Lav, Kelly and Hep - and I can see why, I think any coach would. I just think we’d work better both defensively and moving the ball out of the D50 with two of the three. Ideally the odd man out as depth, which was probably going to be the case before Reid got hurt (think Lav or maybe Kelly was emg)
No my proposal to play L.Hayes in this situation was to manage Heppell and avoid the flight to perth. Push a taller Cox to a wing whos been playing there a bit anyway

He doesnt like Lav, he dropped him at the start of the year. Kelly is shutting down players and Heppells actually exceeded expectations but he started last year quite well aswell from memory

I do think our work up the field is making our defenders look better which was always going to be the case compared to past season where we would lose stoppages and also not defend transition aswell

A heppell manage is not saying Scott doesnt like him and actually implies the alternative

Be good to be able to reward an in form L.Hayes and then if he out performs Lav or Lav, Mckay, Cox or Kelly get injured then there is potential for him to hold his spot for another week aswell

Last edited:
Is not Perko our McLuggage? I don't see where he fits. On a wing in place of Kelly?
Kelly has moved away from the wing anyway . He has played 90% defense in the last 4 weeks. Cox / Duursma have been 80% wing with a dash of Heppell or one of the midfielders.

Yes to McCluggage, makes our midfield one of the best in the comp. Talk about a genuine wingman who, kicks goals, is an elite kick, runs both ways. The fact that he'd be a free agent too makes it a no brainer. Considering that he'd likely play on a wing, it compliments Durham, Hobbs, Tsatas, Setterfield, Calders, Parish, Perkins. Type of player who genuinely lifts us into "contender" bracket, and then we don't need to recruit any more mids for the next few years, just plug in the holes with General Forwards and Defenders.
LDU... not so much. Yes he is quality, and yes, he will make us a better team next year. But by how much? He'd just be taking minutes off Perkins, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs and Tsatas development, when we already potentially have that type of player in Tsatas, Perk and Duz. Plus, we are #1 in the league for centre bounce clearances. Why spend the money and the draft capital at something that doesn't need so much improvement, when we could use that money for an A+ wingman, Small fwd/def or even throw the kitchen sink at a gun key FWD (even then, jones and caddy's development is exciting and to a lesser extent hunter and cox).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back