Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the impasse with McCartney when we tried to get Bobby Hill? What did he want and what did we offer?

The explanation given was he was a required player and they didn't want to him to go at all and kept him to that. Bobby cried on the phone. Fast forward he's a premiership player so worked out for him in the end.

The explanation given was he was a required player and they didn't want to him to go at all and kept him to that. Bobby cried on the phone. Fast forward he's a premiership player so worked out for him in the end.
Just goes to show that sometimes living in Sydney sucks so much that players might even want to come to Essendon

Last edited:

I'd hope we're one of the five clubs getting into Stengle's ear.

Was once a long shot, but Betts is no longer at Geelong, he only signed a one-year deal and has left his management. Could be some fire brimming here. Would slot right in with Gresh.
100% yes, although I don't see how he comes to Essendon over a club like Geelong.

He's an unrestricted free agent so won't cost anything.

Agree with this. Would be great for us, but sort of hopes he stays with the Cats. They took a chance on him and helped to turn his career around.

I never forgave Crameri for ditching us after we took a chance on him.
Both Essendon and Geelong chased him. It's he who chose Geelong over Essendon so it's not like Essendon weren't willing to take a chance on him.

100% yes, although I don't see how he comes to Essendon over a club like Geelong.

I reckon money play, he's got his flag. Needs to recoup money lost from being a rookie and out of the system for a few years. I think a 6x 600 deal would be on the cards and hard to pass up.

It’s also abit to early to get excited about certain UFA, there’s always a few like Schultz last year that but contract triggers that aren’t really known by the public. Then they disappear from the list. Stengel seems like the type that would have a trigger in his contract

It’s also abit to early to get excited about certain UFA, there’s always a few like Schultz last year that but contract triggers that aren’t really known by the public. Then they disappear from the list. Stengel seems like the type that would have a trigger in his contract
You're right but I'm only going by the publicly available information. Even if it needs to be a trade Stengle should be a priority.

I reckon money play, he's got his flag. Needs to recoup money lost from being a rookie and out of the system for a few years. I think a 6x 600 deal would be on the cards and hard to pass up.
6x600k? Surely not

I'd start with 2x500k and potentially push to 600k. Maybe triggers for a 3rd year.

6x600k? Surely not

I'd start with 2x500k and potentially push to 600k. Maybe triggers for a 3rd year.

A 25 year old AA calibre small forward with 5 clubs into him. If he doesn't get at least 5 year offers he should sack his manager.

Last edited:
Well he is checked out this year and will probably request a trade at the end of the year before FA. North may cash in on it to gain much needed draft picks instead of holding him to his contract given the state of their list.
But they would get better value if they held onto him so he’s a free agent. Could get pick 2-3 for him. No one will be able to come up with anything as good as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think anyone is giving him 5 years with his history

When he was 21 he got caught with drugs and drank drove. Stupid stuff but far from irredeemable long term character flaws. Happened in 2020 offseason, better part of 5 years ago and hasn't got into trouble since. Much like all contracts will have morality clauses built in to safe guard the club. But a bidding war will guarantee he's getting a long deal.

When he was 21 he got caught with drugs and drank drove. Stupid stuff but far from irredeemable long term character flaws. Happened in 2020 offseason, better part of 5 years ago and hasn't got into trouble since. Much like all contracts will have morality clauses built in to safe guard the club. But a bidding war will guarantee he's getting a long deal.
Caught with drugs twice wasn’t it?
But that was just the stuff the came out in the media.
No club wanted to touch him with how bad his behavior was and geelong moreorless hired Betts to keep an eye on him.

Caught with drugs twice wasn’t it?
But that was just the stuff the came out in the media.
No club wanted to touch him with how bad his behavior was and geelong moreorless hired Betts to keep an eye on him.

I think it was because he was an unproven rookie so the juice wasn't worth the squeeze investment wise. Geelong hired Betts as an assistant coach, not to watch Stengle. He was just attracted to Geelong because Betts was there, not denying that paired them closely and the relationship would have helped Stengle mature.

Given it's nearly 5 year stretch of good behavior and he was very young, I think that's enough to earn some trust. Right now the comp has a void of quality small forwards and they are as important as ever for functional systems.

$700k is not going to be a lot in the very near future. Not that I am saying we should get Ainsworth.
Understand the new 700 is the old 600 for any deals past 2028 from now

Still a significant amount

He is probably the greatest upgrade for us thats sort of available

As we have 2 mill free for next year (Maybe more as Mckays 1.4 would drop significantly and Shiels 700 also disappears/drops significantly - Albeit some like Nic Martins/Langfords also increase a fair bit id imagine)

Its all very hard to say what we should and shouldnt do without having the full information

Ainsworth probably has the ability to be only behind genuine small forward crumber types (excl Greene, Miers type) in the comp

S.Bolton
C.Cameron
I.Hill
Rankine
Weightman
Papley
Kozzie
Stengle - and challenging

Get right into Stengle.

Offer him three years huge money. Gives him a other good payday at 28 if still playing well.
I just don't see him leaving Geelong myself. His life is stable. Team is going well with some younger players coming in. Would be a good get but I can not see it.

is there something wrong with the abundance of smalls we have on the list we are talking about Ainsworth and Stengle? (admittedly better small fwds than what we have)?
Unproven or injury prone .

is there something wrong with the abundance of smalls we have on the list we are talking about Ainsworth and Stengle? (admittedly better small fwds than what we have)?

I don't trust Wanganeen or Davey to get their body right.

Menzie and Guelfi are good depth players who are good as I jury cover in a premiership team.

Gresham and Davey Jr (I am bullish on him) are the only two I see as best 22 calibre on a contending team so probably want one more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back