Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have 3 years worth of future picks available to trade, so for example we could use 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 picks in the upcoming trade period, really allow clubs to go all in and get aggressive.
It’s kinda terrifying. Trade all that for Reid and imagine he has a few injuries and becomes O’Meara.

It’s kinda terrifying. Trade all that for Reid and imagine he has a few injuries and becomes O’Meara.

No doubt, after 10 years of trading you'll have huge success stories and huge fails. I don't think the AFL should protect the clubs in this space anymore, let them go for broke.

It would just need to be suggested to Tsatas that he would have a stronger chance of playing regularly at WCE than with us due to our midfield depth.
He's been omitted again.
Id say most kids that are picked knowing they will take a bit longer than usual mids around pick 5 would back themselves to be playing regularly in year 4 at any club

Did Archie look like he was going to push players out of the midfield last year ? Footy is a changing landscape. Young blokes get better at different roles. Cox finally mastered a way to play wing. Despite the decision making issues Hobbs has been solid in the physical contests being the extra at the contest.
Well I was a believer.
Re: Hobbs though, I still don't see what other position he has the capability to play other than inside mid.
Progression is not always linear. Hobbs showed when injuries hit he could step up last year and actually looked great at times.

The team has had a better run with injury and caldwell/durham have over taken him. However, i think he can work on his decision making and be valuable contributor. Don't think he will ever reach the heights of a no.1 inside mid on our list but he could grow into no.2 or 3rd best inside mid so still valuable.

Stick with him.

To be honest I doubted cox and Martin could ever develop enough toughness and aerial contest to play/roll back defensively.
Both shown great improvement.

Perkins - used to have rush of blood and try to do too much. Starting to lower the eyes, slow it down and pick best target.

Or even Durham having enough class and clean hands to be anything more than a huge effort and contest player. Leap durham has made has been his improvement just grabbing the ball at speed and class at the contest now. Used to tap it along and fumble, a bump would jolt it free.

So have faith, decision making might not ever be elite for hobbs but improvement his disposal speed and decision making will be noticeable soon.

Think biggest change we have made is addressing areas of weakness as a team and individually the right way.

Patience is sometimes needed. I think for 5 weeks I swore to myself everytime Martin went soft and 1 handed in a aerial contest. But since some poor efforts in the dogs game I haven't seen him do isince.

long novel but in summary still a bit of frustration to go at Hobbs but think other case studies have given me faith.
I'm not questioning his midfield ability. It's clear. I'm questioning his capacity to play other roles than inside mid.

I’d be very surprised if the 5 main mids next season weren’t Tsatas, Perkins, Durham, Merrett, Caldwell

Tsatas is a gun, just needs to get his body to an AFL level due to age and missing footy/physical development due to injury. He was pick 4 for a reason and has looked every bit as good as that spot suggests in the VFL

I’d be very surprised if the 5 main mids next season weren’t Tsatas, Perkins, Durham, Merrett, Caldwell

Tsatas is a gun, just needs to get his body to an AFL level due to age and missing footy/physical development due to injury. He was pick 4 for a reason and has looked every bit as good as that spot suggests in the VFL
Leaving Parish and his 6 year contract where?

I don't know what you're talking about.

I was responding to your comment that Tsatas wouldn't want to go to WA.
Yeh because hed get more opportunity

At most that is for the next 12 months, pointless, wouldnt be a reason

Im saying most top 5 picks even more so mids are backing themselves to be best 22 of any side in year 4

Great question.

Well run teams select players based on their play and not their pay

That leaves 3 probable options.

he’d have to find a secondary position (he’s a decent HF)

One of those 5 would need a different primary position.

Or Essendon would be smart to try and find another club for him to play at next season

Edit:
Could go either way but there’s a real logjam there. Especially with Hobbs facing the same issue of being another small mid.

I’d probably bet on a trade.

Last edited:

Tsatas still a fair way off imo

I think wing will still be a fair chance next year

If Heppell plays on, may retire, but if he does then id think 12 months on he may be making way for Tsatas on a more regular basis

As long as Parish can get his body right hes fine still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsatas still a fair way off imo

I think wing will still be a fair chance next year

If Heppell plays on, may retire, but if he does then id think 12 months on he may be making way for Tsatas on a more regular basis

As long as Parish can get his body right hes fine still

that as long as is a pretty big risk. He’s played his 100 games and got his payday.

I’m one of the biggest Parish fans on here.

However if his skillset isn’t adding to the teams mix then finding a place where he can be happy and Essendon get back someone who helps their aspirations only seems like a win win.

If he moved to a Melbourne club like Saints, Pies, Tigers, Dogs or Dees he might not even need to move house

Great question.

Well run teams select players based on their play and not their pay

That leaves 3 probable options.

he’d have to find a secondary position (he’s a decent HF)

One of those 5 would need a different primary position.

Or Essendon would be smart to try and find another club for him to play at next season

Edit:
Could go either way but there’s a real logjam there. Especially with Hobbs facing the same issue of being another small mid.

I’d probably bet on a trade.
I would hazard a guess that this is where the "buy in" we hear about from mids who transform amongst competing sides.

If Parish buys in and doesn't just ball hunt as he has done, he is a midfield rotation for sure.

I guess 3 years into the future allows 4 years of 1st rounders
The way he spoke it was more likely to be 2 years or 3 years into the future to start with. 😎

Well I was a believer.
Re: Hobbs though, I still don't see what other position he has the capability to play other than inside mid.

I'm not questioning his midfield ability. It's clear. I'm questioning his capacity to play other roles than inside mid.

I actually think that despite the few decision making issues he has actually been playing the high half forward role pretty well. The coach obviously likes the “ edge “ that he plays with.
Archie is a much better player in traffic and a nicer kick but he also makes 5 or 6 disposal errors in a game .
One thing Hobbs is good at is the defensive role involved with high half forward. When you get to see the game live his running both was has been good.
Throw in his budding leadership and he is not a player I would be looking to trade.

Last edited:
I would look at Toby Nankervis.

He is an UFA this year.
Only 30 years old (Another 4-5 left in him).
He has premiership experience.
Would happily take him over Draper.

Calls to trade parish are a bit overblown.

Market for him not huge as seen by restricted free agency and ultimately his resigning on clubs terms.

Probably a year or two too long but he is still our 2nd best mid and midfield general. We still lack a elite number 2.

If merret misses a game who controls and organises the mids?

A flawed footballer but we missed him the last two weeks.

Can’t trade Parish. Mid depth isn’t there yet imo. Setters needs to get his body right, Perkins needs to start showing up more than once every 2-3 weeks. Last night we looks tried and didn’t have a couple of extras to throw at them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back