AFL X - seven-a-side football - The X makes it sound cool.

Is a modified game of Aussie rules on a soccer pitch a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• I'd need more info on it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth looking at, but I don't see a need to take on the BBL, which will only ever run from Dec to Jan - let them have it, their success is actually good for the AFL, it ensures ongoing investment in ovals.

We can now see that the AFLW will easily fill the void from Feb to Mar, so we don't want anything disrupting that.

That leaves Oct to Nov - that's when we want a shortened form of the game using whatever grounds we can use.

Perfect for recently retired players, or mature players on VFL lists who want to get noticed pre-draft, in fact, couldn't it serve as a shop window for all sorts of players looking to get drafted?

The timing is near perfect.

They need to do something because the participation of afl from 12 onwards has dropped every single year and it's attributed to soccer. Soccer has always been the most participated junior sport for 20 odd years but stats show that once they hit high school it basically lost 2 out of every3 junior players. Now that the a league is here, and more importantly that league has players being signed to European clubs ,the drop off isn't there anymore and they need to do something to stop it. My relative went to Caulfield grammar for a speech and while doing the normal chit chat with the head it was mentioned that soccer was the biggest participated sport for the first time ever. I believe Carey grammar couldn't field a first 18 side last year.

Essentially the idea is for an AFL version of the BBL, but in Summer when it doesnt conflict with the main season. With rectangular stadiums being used once a week in Perth and Sydney during the summer, and the AFL guaranteed access to Docklands, this isnt as bad a scenario as people in the soccer world - see the fourfourtwo forum thread as a classic example of paranoia - have us believe.
Who's going to play though? AFL listed players? I'd doubt clubs would be happy about that, and if AFL listed players aren't playing who'd watch it?

Who's going to play though? AFL listed players? I'd doubt clubs would be happy about that, and if AFL listed players aren't playing who'd watch it?

Id assume they can find a team of players from somewhere, backed up by some recently retured players, and others. As for who'd watch it, some people would im sure. Probably not you though right

Id assume they can find a team of players from somewhere, backed up by some recently retured players, and others. As for who'd watch it, some people would im sure. Probably not you though right
I'm pretty sure the NRL equivalent (Auckland 9s) has elite players, which makes it successful, I'm guessing NRL clubs aren't overly thrilled about it but money talks I guess.

And you're correct, I wouldn't watch semi pro's play football, if elite players played then yes, I would.

PS, how them drinks going down? Not like you to make grammatical mistakes :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the NRL equivalent (Auckland 9s) has elite players, which makes it successful, I'm guessing NRL clubs aren't overly thrilled about it but money talks I guess.

And you're correct, I wouldn't watch semi pro's play football, if elite players played then yes, I would.

PS, how them drinks going down? Not like you to make grammatical mistakes :)

im at work, and half asleep tbh. 4 hours sleep. staff not turning up for work...christ

I know very little about this concept but I don't see what the need/benefit for it is over and above what already exists with the AFL 9s game.

I live in Qld and play 9s (as well as 'real' footy in a Masters comp) and it's a lot of fun as a summer pastime and with the modified rules, rectangular field, limited contact and faster pace I could see it being a very good gateway for AFL for junior development and/or entry into new markets (e.g. US, Europe, China).

So what's the point of AFL X?

I know very little about this concept but I don't see what the need/benefit for it is over and above what already exists with the AFL 9s game.

I live in Qld and play 9s (as well as 'real' footy in a Masters comp) and it's a lot of fun as a summer pastime and with the modified rules, rectangular field, limited contact and faster pace I could see it being a very good gateway for AFL for junior development and/or entry into new markets (e.g. US, Europe, China).

So what's the point of AFL X?
I think it is more to have a solid contact version of the game that can be translated to soccer fields for international expansion. AFL 9's just isn't internationally friendly as a competitive sport imo.

I think it is more to have a solid contact version of the game that can be translated to soccer fields for international expansion. AFL 9's just isn't internationally friendly as a competitive sport imo.

Yeah it is for different purposes

1. to overcome the barriers to growth of the game (grounds particularly but also number of requisite players) and / or
2. as I shorter version "entertaintment" product that all the kids (ie sports) are doing now

Back