AFL X

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we thinking Paris 2024 or LA 2028? Our single-digit gold medal hauls are getting a bit old!

Having a 10-point 40-metre line should pose an interesting tactical dilemma in both how teams attack and defend. With only seven-a-side and essentially an all-corridor field, I'd expect it to affect outcomes much greater than the 9-point 50-metre super goal (admittedly, a low bar). Perhaps there'd be value in taking it a step further with an NBA-style tramline on the boundary:
AFLXplayingfield_zps6nmw8ypr.png

You're gonna encourage more "gnarly" trick shots for goal this way, which would fit in fairly seamlessly with the AFLX moniker.

Interesting idea. Perhaps you'd need to make it that it can't be from set shots...I'm a bit concerned that the 40M is a bit simples but I guess we'll see in practice. Maybe it is designed to reduce "flooding"?

I think, rather than olympics, the "international expansion" aspect would be to allow for an elite and amateur version of the game that is more accessible (in terms of its simplicity, infrastructure and player number requirements) that could attract new spectators and players (longer term).

Suspect the possibility of gold medals, if that's ya thing, is many many decades away. Only much bigger nations get to arrogate sports onto the IOC resulting in assured gold medals. But if we ever are to have players in the AFL that are not either siphoned from the GAA or from the odd post US college freak, it would be something like this taking off and getting some kids interested at an early enough age

Start proper AFL season in Feb.

Play each other twice. Home and away.

Increase bench numbers.

Increase squad numbers.

Decrease time of qtrs.

Time for the AFL to have a fair draw.

Won't happen but nice to dream.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair draw is 17-5. No way the AFL will ever go to double round robin. Madness.

I don't object to the ground's shape but it might be better if they just played under the normal rules.

I have to admit that when I was watching the international series I did think its a pity that this isn't the world's game instead of soccer then other football codes could be played along similar lines, image a World Cup side including the best 18 from the AFL in that kind of situation.

The early form of AFL did have structured positions like goal keeper and might also have been played on a soccer style pitch.

reckon they have made two big errors. the points posts? why? give points for posters and rushed behinds.
and extra points for goals from >40m? would be smarter to not allow them, as it'll turn into a game of kick to kick.
if they're hoping the short version on a soccer/rugby sized pitched will help it grow overseas then make use of that - not require extra posts. i'd go the rugby pitch and maybe award extra points below the horizontal. or simply play on if it hits it and falls back into play.

DEF: Wagner Keilty
MID: Kent JKH McKenna
FWD: Johnstone T. Smith
INT: Pick 31 Pick 36 Pick 47
EMERG: Filipovic King Pick 29/Balic/Vanders

Don't want us risking any of our good players on this horseshit concept.

I'll probably go, because in February I'm hanging for footy, although our AFLW team has three Sydney games in Sydney this year.
Interesting to see how the clubs see it. I think in our Pool, the Tiger's,Swans and us will see it as an unnecessary distraction amd put the reserves coach and few if any of of the best 22 out there.
The Lions, GC and the Bulldogs might see it as a chance to win something and take it a bit more seriously.

So we are basically going to have what all the old blokes say soccer should be. No offsides, can use your hands, goals worth more than a single point and behind posts.

Guess it’s better than the International Quiddich Series we are currently playing.

Interesting idea. Perhaps you'd need to make it that it can't be from set shots...I'm a bit concerned that the 40M is a bit simples but I guess we'll see in practice. Maybe it is designed to reduce "flooding"?

I think, rather than olympics, the "international expansion" aspect would be to allow for an elite and amateur version of the game that is more accessible (in terms of its simplicity, infrastructure and player number requirements) that could attract new spectators and players (longer term).

Suspect the possibility of gold medals, if that's ya thing, is many many decades away. Only much bigger nations get to arrogate sports onto the IOC resulting in assured gold medals. But if we ever are to have players in the AFL that are not either siphoned from the GAA or from the odd post US college freak, it would be something like this taking off and getting some kids interested at an early enough age

I want the drugs you people are on. They’re bonkers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want the drugs you people are on. They’re bonkers.

No worries dude, more respectful and less gutless troll thing to do would be to address the point(s) I've made that you think are "bonkers".

Or you could be sincere? You have an avatar of a guy holding a large metal ring in front of an empty stadium carrying on like he won something important...that looks truly bonkers....like a bucks night that got real messy

Adelaide United unhappy the AFL will be using hindmarsh
Lol more faux outrage from the soccer frat boys. Just last weekend cricket and IR shared AO within a couple of days of each other and you didnt see cricket go into hysteria over it.

What about RL SoO being played at the mcg then AFL being played a few days later there. Complaints from the AFL? Nup.

Lol more faux outrage from the soccer frat boys. Just last weekend cricket and IR shared AO within a couple of days of each other and you didnt see cricket go into hysteria over it.

What about RL SoO being played at the mcg then AFL being played a few days later there. Complaints from the AFL? Nup.

Who knows. It might warrant an upgrade to Coopers Stadium to meet the needs of the 21st century.
Increase in capacity, undercover seating, etc...

Surely they're kidding?

Non finals teams that don't make the 8 will play a 7 a side tournament on the bye weekend.

No bounce after goals just a kick in from a goal.

Think they mentioned it'd be played on a soccer size field? Anyone confirm that?

It’s the afl equivalent of having to drop your pants and run around the pool table.

Considering soccer is the only real tenant of hindmarsh, you would expect the venue management would atleast let them know what was being planned. Poor form.

No worries dude, more respectful and less gutless troll thing to do would be to address the point(s) I've made that you think are "bonkers".

Or you could be sincere? You have an avatar of a guy holding a large metal ring in front of an empty stadium carrying on like he won something important...that looks truly bonkers....like a bucks night that got real messy

lol, sorry.

AFLX will take over the world and killed the sport of sokkah globally because it is a superior game that everybody on earth will immediately love.

#Pillock

And I bet they communicated with each other before it happened.

Dimwit.

lol, sorry.

AFLX will take over the world and killed the sport of sokkah globally because it is a superior game that everybody on earth will immediately love.

#Pillock

What are you on about, now?

Dude, you're not supposed to take all the bonkers at once!

Last edited:
And I bet they communicated with each other before it happened.

Dimwit.

Oooh nasty bitterness....you must have been coming down from the bonkers

Apparently on a massive bonkers high you actually start fantasising about soccer as a game of significant relevance in Australia....but the come down is sad brutal reality of noone giving a s**t. This usually ends up with bristling frustration, paranoia and persecution

Meanwhile, and you won't want to hear this right now coming down from the bonkers, but more people watched the meaningless international rules game in Sydney than watched the Sydney FC Newcastle top-of-the-table match...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back