• 20% - occasionally check their scores, because nothing else better to do

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 30% - occasionally check some of the chatter in the AFLW section

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 40% - I can see myself liking it more as time goes on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50% - liking what I’m seeing so far, but still enjoy AFL much more

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 60% - I regularly check their progress and may have been to some games/training

• 70% - being impressed with the league with each passing year

• 80% - feeling nearly as much joy as seeing the men’s league

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 90% - these ladies are getting me hooked!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 100% - I feel just as passionate with the AFLW as I do with AFL

• AFLW interest > AFL interest

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the spirit of Mother’s Day, this thread is to enquire fellow members the level of attention you’re giving to the ladies team in AFLW.

Is it absolute zero (interest)? Has it surpassed the level of interest you give to the men’s team? Or somewhere in between?

At this point in time, my interest in AFLW eclipses that of AFL. I'll freely admit that a big part of that is the success the Crows women have had. It's a lot more fun following a team that is firing on all cylinders than one which seems to lurch from disaster to disaster. So I guess it would be more accurate that my interest in the Crows AFLW team eclipses that of the Crows AFL team, since I don't often bother to watch matches that don't involve the Crows.

Beyond just the success though, there are things about AFLW that I love. With a young family and various work and sporting commitments, I really appreciate the shorter matches. I share a Kayo account with my parents and can generally manage the kids until around midway through the second quarter, then start streaming from the beginning, skip the half time break and all the adverts, and watch an entire match in around 80 minutes. Whereas with AFL I've got to find at least two hours to watch the match, which more often than not is a prolonged exercise in frustration.

I also enjoy the fact that AFLW is less clinical than the AFL. In the AFL, the skills are so good, the players are so big and athletic, and the teams are so well-drilled in structures that the whole thing can feel a bit robotic. Yes, it's super impressive, but I don't actually like watching it as much. I'm the same way with tennis. Men's tennis is generally more impressive, certainly, but I prefer watching the women because I feel like I can actually follow the game and get invested in the rallies. Whereas the men just hit the ball so damn hard and clean that by the time I've read where it's going it's already gone.

At the end of the day, would I prefer the men's team to win a premiership rather than the women's team? Probably, yeah. Certainly more people would care or even notice by an order of magnitude and that is exciting by itself. And I guess the women have had plenty of success whereas the men haven't won a flag in 24 years. So if you're asking which team I would prefer to win a premiership, it's the men. But if you're asking which team I've had more interest in since 2017, it's the women.

I will be honest, very little for me.

But I understand why it is needed and I won't be negative about it. Even though I personally don't enjoy watching the games.

Great that our club has done well and the pathway it provides for girls to continue playing Aussie Rules at a (semi) professional level. I do think it will be fully professional within 10 years.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm fully on board. The skill level across the league has improved markedly. There is elite talent running around, eg Eloise Jones, Hatch, Sarah Allen, who are a pleasure to watch. And Rachelle Martin is probably my favourite player male or female. AFLW games can be frustrating to watch given low scoring and turnovers but the Crows play a brand of contested footy that is hard to beat. The GF was an outstanding game of disciplined committed footy. They are well coached and frankly a team to be proud of.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably started at 50% in 2017
Went to my first game in 2018 and haven't looked back, peaked at 100% in 2019.
But dropped back to about 80-90% in recent years.

i take a bit of pride in the success we've had, but i'd probably be quite nonchalant if we sucked.

I would say i'm approx 30% if I was rating myself 'quantatively'.

As those comments don't are a bit arbitrary and dopn't necessarily align with the % values, I wasn't rating myself by those.

The 'comments' of 10-70% are probably all applicable to me in some form.

I've enjoyed it more and more as it went along. Our club has done exceptionally well, starting a team from scratch and absolutely dominating the competition.
The competition itself is pretty good. Still some issues with skills and fumbling etc...but it has improved each year. It will continue to do so once we have less 'other sport' converts and more drafted from the juniors.
What I love most of all is the absolute intent with which they play.

Over the years I've seen too many players in the mens competition treating it like a 9-5 job (the old Neil Craig philosophy). You can see them ticking off their performance standards and ensuring they are ok to play next week. The lack of passion hurts the game.
In the girls competition, there is none of that. They are going full speed at all times. It's awesome. The courage and commitment is unquestioned. I really enjoy watching the games as a result.

I've enjoyed it more and more as it went along. Our club has done exceptionally well, starting a team from scratch and absolutely dominating the competition.
The competition itself is pretty good. Still some issues with skills and fumbling etc...but it has improved each year. It will continue to do so once we have less 'other sport' converts and more drafted from the juniors.

Over the years I've seen too many players in the mens competition treating it like a 9-5 job (the old Neil Craig philosophy). You can see them ticking off their performance standards and ensuring they are ok to play next week. The lack of passion hurts the game.
In the girls competition, there is none of that. They are going full speed at all times. It's awesome. The courage and commitment is unquestioned. I really enjoy watching the games as a result.
Yep, when's the last time one of our men's team players took a mark going back with the flight like Randall does every week?

I try and watch most Adelaide AFLW games, but the emotional attachment for me is not really there. As much as I enjoy seeing our AFLW side win, if we were to have a bad year or two I wouldn't be that bothered by it.

Honestly I would take 1 AFL flag for the Crows over 20 straight AFLW flags.

Loved the womens team coming in but in its usual way the AFL have stuffed it by adding too many sides to quickly.

They should have kept it at 12 teams, have an 11 game H&A season so everyone plays each other once - less players required = better standard as the top line talent is not spread so thinly.

Unfortunately a few of the reasons I don't follow/not as passionate about AFL have carried over to the AFLW competition.

Sub-par umpiring, s**t commentary and the Vic-bias are all front and centre in the AFLW, such as shame.

100% agree with this. Great post. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, when's the last time one of our men's team players took a mark going back with the flight like Randall does every week?
McAsey back in 2020? (Only to shank the subsequent set shot on goal from 10 meters out)

I will be honest, very little for me.

But I understand why it is needed and I won't be negative about it. Even though I personally don't enjoy watching the games.

Great that our club has done well and the pathway it provides for girls to continue playing Aussie Rules at a (semi) professional level. I do think it will be fully professional within 10 years.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It could have easily been fully professional as of now, if the AFL aren’t so steadfast at quickly bringing in all the expansion clubs. The skills are already at great standards among probably half the players within the current AFLW.

Of course the spectacle will never reach the heights of the men’s league, but this should be expected if you compare it to most forms of sports with men vs women (tennis, cricket, soccer etc).

I don't get why the 2nd part of the questions are needed. Surely the ranking reflects the level of engagement.

I occasionally check NBA scores, not because there is nothing else to do. Just because occasionally check the scores.
The comments are for suggestions only, for light humour, or for those who aren’t too good with numbers.

Back