So whats your actual feeling towards Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

I try to treat them like every other team, however when it comes to watching them play, I just REALLY enjoy watching them lose.

I must admit my hatred has increased since coming on here in recent years. Just popping onto their board occasionally makes me laugh/cringe.

People my age (40s) and older can appreciate how they played their footy at the peak of their powers. "Port Adelaide Football" to me means hard and tough footy, mixed with a blend of sniping and instigating fights and getting away with it as the retaliator was the one who always got suspended/penalised.

For some reason Port supporters arrogantly thought that their SANFL dominance would carry over into the AFL. Thankfully that never eventuated, and the whole PB guernsey saga is very amusing because it constantly highlights where they sit in the pecking order of the AFL, who will gladly just hide behind 'Collingwood need to agree to it'. They really have gone from a big fish in a small pond, to a small fish in a big pond.

Whilst it would be funny to have the smile wiped off their smug faces by the AFL folding them (lets face it they are struggling financially) I think the Crows need them to be in the AFL to keep this rivalry going. We all know that the Vic media flogs will never acknowledge that it is the best rivalry in the AFL (the on field results highlight this) it is constantly shown that it is way better than the Pies v Blues or any of the other big VFL rivalries. The ladder position is generally meaningless when it comes to Showdown results.

How do you honestly feel about the little brother down the road?
Loathing/contempt, for as long as I can remember.
NO envy, ever.
My only concession has to do with some of their great players --- Russell Ebert in particular; mercurial, Blight-like. John Cahill seemed like a decent bloke. Both rare exceptions.
For me on the positive side they give us a world class rivalry, which is the best in the AFL.
It makes our town very interesting to talk football in.
You're very generous.
They have a loyal following and it's a them against the world mentality.
It's laughable, garbage. Victim-mentality.
On the negative side they are the biggest whingers on the planet. Give them an inch and they take a mile.
They used to bitch and moan to the SANFL about everything. Their zone wasnt good enough. They would agree to something and then always change their mind, all while claiming victim status. Remember when they signed the original AO contract and wanted it weighed more for having a smaller crowd, then when the crowds were higher than they anticipated they bitched and moaned about how unfair it was.
They agreed to not wear prison bars in the AFL. Then bit by bit they tried to get to use it. First for a once off. Then every history round. Then every showdown. Then every game they don't play Collingwood. They signed a contract stating they wouldn't ask for it, yet here we are. Only difference is the AFL have to put up with their whining and not the SANFL.
All of the above, especially the guernsey bullshit.

I don't care how they go, except to hope it's worse than us.
A good weekend is when they lose and we win.
Wines' Brownlow: ridiculous.
Couldn't give a Blighty toss-bag about Hinkley etc.

I like them. They’re my 3rd side behind us and Bulldogs. They have a crack against the odds. And they measure themselves based on premierships rather than being satisfied courtesy of being marginally better than some other spud club down the road.

Had our management subsequent to Sanders et al controlled Port they’d have been Gold Coast or Tassie Power years ago. Our club has largely squandered our financial advantage and without Blight, who’s lessons have been lost, we’d be worse than Fremantle.

Imagine our management running a club throughout the last 20 years with Port’s supporter base. Absolute disaster in every conceivable manner.
Reportable.
We'll miss you while you have your week/s off :sneaky:.

We hate them and they hate us. That’s what rivalry is all about, otherwise it’s not a rivalry. None of this ‘there my second team coz they’re South Australian’ rubbish

Tom Jonas summed it up. He was a Crows supporter and now hates our guts. Good on him and we should feel the same way.

I supported the Magpies until I was about 6 and got to primary school, where the local team was the Bays.

Had a fairly neutral attitude towards them when I was younger. Plenty of my mates love port.

I was there on the night someone threw a banana at Eddie.

I live in vic now and have seen home crowds for all Vic clubs. Only Collingwood’s compares for bad (ie violent, grossly offensive, aggressive, the kind of stuff you don’t want your kids to see/hear) behaviour.

So, I don’t like Port. A little bit of that is just local rivalry, but mostly it’s just their fans’ behaviour.

The club I dont care about

It's the fans

Those about 40+ are actually great people. They follow their team and you can have an educated, respectful conversation with them.

But those about 35- have a massive chip on their shoulder, are arrogant, are entitled and are just douchebags for the most part. They step over the line and are effectively just trolls which I can't stand.
I've got lots of port friends/colleagues under 35 who are the opposite of what you've described. I probably know just as many irrational crows supporters as Port supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes me sick to my stomach that in 2011 I felt sorry enough for them that I actually barracked for them against Melbourne at that one off Adelaide Oval game for them to avoid the spoon that year and for the Suns to get it

Will never allow such weakness from me ever again -

Reality is you need us and we need you. The intense rivalry and competition has pushed both clubs to improve themselves on and off the field. At the start of this season you guys looked like wooden spooners but the showdown win has spurred you on to substantial improvement and the top 8 and the loss was the catalyst for us to reevaluate and now 8 straight plus top 2.
Our entry to the afl spurred you guys to improve fast and 2 premierships resulted.
The constant rivalry, competition, comparisons is a good thing for both clubs. What would Batman be without the Joker?

We hate them and they hate us. That’s what rivalry is all about, otherwise it’s not a rivalry. None of this ‘there my second team coz they’re South Australian’ rubbish

Tom Jonas summed it up. He was a Crows supporter and now hates our guts. Good on him and we should feel the same way.
Could you imagine a Celtic fan revealing that their second team was Rangers because they're from Glasgow? It would be a public lynching.

There‘s a couple of quick, easy and foolproof ways to tell if someone is not a real Crows supporter :

1. If he or she says something resembling “I don’t mind seeing Port win” or “I barrack for Port if they’re not playing the Crows” then this individual has exposed themselves as a fraudulent Crows supporter. Tread carefully around these types.

2. If he or she is not in a perpetual state of annoyance and irritation at the club and especially the club’s administration (and at times even seems happy about being a Crows fan), then this person is a fraudulent Crows supporter. To be a real Crows supporter is to be perpetually annoyed and irritated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back