Toast AFLPA Awards - Jack Steele Wins Most Courageous Player Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Congratulations to Jack Steele for winning the AFLPA’s Most Courageous player of the year award! Much deserved!

Voted for by the players, what a star!

How lucky are we? I thought it'd take a generation before having another player like the great man

View attachment 1224466
We get the most from NSW (ok Jack is from the ACT) tough inside mids.
Reckon by the time he finishes Steele will be just as loved as Lenny.

Congrats to our amazing Captain Jack (who looked a little bit uncomfortable in the limelight.) Better get used to it mate, will be seeing you accepting a Brownlow medal sometime in the next couple of years!

We get the most from NSW (ok Jack is from the ACT) tough inside mids.
Reckon by the time he finishes Steele will be just as loved as Lenny.
Without a doubt. 😍

Jack Steele came third in the AFLPA Best Captain Captain award (behind Bont and Gawn). Bont the clear winner, however, Gawn and Steele very close together on 87 and 83 votes respectively.

Tom Highmore came fifth in the AFLPA Best First Year Player Award. Great effort.

Last edited:
Not a dig at Steele or the winners of any awards here, but the players award is a shocker of a concept. Most players publicly admit they watch little footy. It's just a vibe based award based on media chat/general consensus.
Walsh 2nd, Petrecca 4th but Oliver and Wines not making the top 5 illustrate that perfectly.

Typically just goes to the Brownlow favourite, who was Bont for the majority of the season. Wines didn't hit the front until after the last round so too late to win it.

Walsh 2nd, Petrecca 4th but Oliver and Wines not making the top 5 illustrate that perfectly.

Typically just goes to the Brownlow favourite, who was Bont for the majority of the season. Wines didn't hit the front until after the last round so too late to win it.
Walsh second is a pisser. I probably wouldn't have him top 10. Oliver a clear top three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh second is a pisser. I probably wouldn't have him top 10. Oliver a clear top three.
Walsh in 2nd makes no sense.

I also hate how it is called Most Valuable Player when they are just voting for the best player.

The most valuable and best player are two completely different things.

Walsh in 2nd makes no sense.

I also hate how it is called Most Valuable Player when they are just voting for the best player.

The most valuable and best player are two completely different things.

Steele is our most valuable and Walsh is theirs so maybe it's true to it's name.

Superstar historic AFLPA double, first-year Swan dominates
Love the AFL Media headline - I would have thought winning one of four categories and finishing top 5 in three out of four is more representative of 'dominating' than winning one category. Ne'er mind, keep it up Jacky boy!

I'd have Marshall as our most valuable player. We are a different team when he plays.

I think Marshall is definitely a gun player but if we had to lose one of the two for the year I'm taking Marshall out every time. We lose Steele and we start to look extremely ordinary all of a sudden. He's our best player by far.

I think Marshall is definitely a gun player but if we had to lose one of the two for the year I'm taking Marshall out every time. We lose Steele and we start to look extremely ordinary all of a sudden. He's our best player by far.
Steele is our best player by far but I still think Marshall is our most important player structurally - whether he plays ruck or forward - and his presences overall makes us a more dangerous side.

I have Marshall just ahead of Ryder because of the impact he has forward too. But them as a pair makes us such a better side.

Steele is our best player by far but I still think Marshall is our most important player structurally - whether he plays ruck or forward - and his presences overall makes us a more dangerous side.

I have Marshall just ahead of Ryder because of the impact he has forward too. But them as a pair makes us such a better side.
I get what you mean with Marshall and I kind of think you’re right but I wonder if that’s also because Steele hasn’t missed games recently. With Marshall, we saw this year how much we missed him, but it’s possible we would miss Steele even more if he missed games.

I get what you mean with Marshall and I kind of think you’re right but I wonder if that’s also because Steele hasn’t missed games recently. With Marshall, we saw this year how much we missed him, but it’s possible we would miss Steele even more if he missed games.
Thats fair. I hope we never have to find out what the midfield looks like without Steele.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back