Autopsy Round 17, 2023: St.Kilda v Melbourne *STEELE 150TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it was a “football action”?
The whole thing is bizarre. That was indeed a football action but so are many of the other accidental ones that concuss players yet still land up with suspensions.

Of course the “friendly fire” ones are even more bizarre. Caminiti on Owens, the Cats player ( forgot who) who knocked out Cameron - but same jumper so nothing to see here 🙄

I was told he had an anterior dislocation.

Couldn’t answer what surgery. Not sure king and the club know yet.

But that he will be back for a full pre season with minimal impact to it.

I imagine he won’t do much competitive work pre Christmas as RTB is still filthy about the original reco
Need to get the surgery right this time. The way it popped out suggests it wasn't successful and we've wasted a season with it.

While it’s good to see Crouch and Steele back to their best we have to keep in mind that they were up against mostly a Viney-Jordon-Brayshaw midfield which is a far cry from Oliver-Petracca and Viney. There’ll be bigger tests coming up.

The whole thing is bizarre. That was indeed a football action but so are many of the other accidental ones that concuss players yet still land up with suspensions.

Of course the “friendly fire” ones are even more bizarre. Caminiti on Owens, the Cats player ( forgot who) who knocked out Cameron - but same jumper so nothing to see here 🙄

I honestly think it will be the same as bumps and tackles one day. Knee someone and concuss them and get a suspension. Get up on a shoulder and launch and you're fine.

So frustrating because this makes two seasons he hasn’t been able to go all out on his strength/size ffs

Potential is the word here, King drafted purely on potential... also drafted with a serious injury...as was Bytel.

So happy we have Caminiti. He gives more in his first year than King did in his first two. Goals aren't always a major attribute of effectiveness.

I wouldn't put a bet on King fulfilling his potential, he has a lot to prove.

I know these things happen in marking contests, but jeez it looked to me like May aimed straight for Cordy's head with his knee.

He's a rough player but think it's more he plays tough than lines people up. He's a human wrecking ball. He's got a nasty streak but more he doesn't give a * about your safety than he want to hospitalise players.

While it’s good to see Crouch and Steele back to their best we have to keep in mind that they were up against mostly a Viney-Jordon-Brayshaw midfield which is a far cry from Oliver-Petracca and Viney. There’ll be bigger tests coming up.
Steele was no good the week before against a Shuey/Sheed/Hewett midfield so I don't think we can put his return to form down to the oppositions mids when they are no worse than the mids he's been struggling against.

Potential is the word here, King drafted purely on potential... also drafted with a serious injury...as was Bytel.

So happy we have Caminiti. He gives more in his first year than King did in his first two. Goals aren't always a major attribute of effectiveness.

Come on man, I know we all do the recency bias thing on here but 2 weeks ago he'd come back seamlessly and looked like he could kick 50 goals in 10 games. He's one of our few potential stars. Even when he frustrates me it's only because I rate his talent so highly. He's very like Tom Lynch in the way he plays. A KPF isn't meant to be a defensive expert.

Caminiti suits our current game because we are still a pretty young and s**t list most weeks and we rely on hard work to be competitive. It won't always be that way. Right now we are needing a raw hardworking type to compete, when we are developed and playing finals we'll need the polish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele was no good the week before against a Shuey/Sheed/Hewett midfield so I don't think we can put his return to form down to the oppositions mids when they are no worse than the mids he's been struggling against.

100% they were still a solid midfield. They rolled a lot through there. I thought we had a really 3D set up. Lots of different types and styles.

Ramblings of a madman.

I'm just exhausted from going to the same game of footy over and over again. I'd like us to be fortunate for once. Melbourne and Richmond and the Doggies and Geelong and Sydney have all managed it.

On the "kicking it to the opposition" meme, do we have a plan when we have our best forward line, let alone when in-game injuries mean we need to cobble it together? One could easily argue our best, most natural, three goal kickers on the list are King, Membrey and Higgins. Effectively none played Saturday night.

I thought Windhager did well in the backline, but we need him in the midfield.

Marshall's best game of the year, in part because of the lack of effect Gawn and Grundy had on the game.

NWM is a star already.

Among St Kilda players who have, during their time at the club, both played and missed at least 10 games, the five players with the biggest difference in win percentage are Mason Wood, Ryan Byrnes, Ben Paton, Tim Membrey and Josh Battle. The last three didn't play on the weekend.

Ross Lyon sure didn't know what to do with Cordy and Sharman there for a few minutes early. Both at either end at times.

Andrew Stephens remains the AFL's worst umpire.

And after all that, win the next three (very doable) and we'll be fine.

Accidents happen. Why didn't Caminiti get suspended for kneeing Mitchito in the head and giving him a concussion?

We don't need to punish every action on field.
If May had used a fist instead and punched Cordy in the back of the head he would be looking at weeks for striking. It wasnt a hanger, it was using his knee to push his opponent under the ball, whether he intended to hit him in the head is up to debate (but lets not forget May is a collossal *head) but his action directly removed his opponent from the game.

You very rarely see speccies actually result in injury so its fine accept accidental impact (like Battle last week) but Mays action there really doesnt sit right with me.

He was awesome last season. Honestly this injury might be for the best, the surgery was obviously a shitshow and he has been playing catch up fitness wise all year. This way he can really get himself right for 2024, do a full pre-season and hit the ground running right from the practice games.

He was awesome last season. Honestly this injury might be for the best, the surgery was obviously a shitshow and he has been playing catch up fitness wise all year. This way he can really get himself right for 2024, do a full pre-season and hit the ground running right from the practice games.
That’s probably his biggest problem. He needs to hit the ground running.

Every player is drafted on potential.
Nothing is proven before they’ve even started.

Nick Foote says hold my beer.
( Or maybe he just has something against the Saints)!
The umpiring is a genuine concern these days. They pointed out on First Crack that the protected zone is a joke at the moment and it was very evident on the weekend. How players can be allowed to simply waltz through there attempting to block off a play on is a disgrace. They talk s**t about "protecting the ball carrier" but fail to provide this most basic of things? A player should 100% be able to play on from a mark/free without another player sitting on them.

The umpiring is a genuine concern these days. They pointed out on First Crack that the protected zone is a joke at the moment and it was very evident on the weekend. How players can be allowed to simply waltz through there attempting to block off a play on is a disgrace. They talk s**t about "protecting the ball carrier" but fail to provide this most basic of things? A player should 100% be able to play on from a mark/free without another player sitting on them.
It's farcical how much the protected zone rule has changed within the season. Every game you see players running past the mark and then running in and trying to catch them out when it's play on. The Petracca one against us is a great example but there are others when there isn't even an opposition player in the vicinity. It's seriously bizarre, it's like the umpires have been spooked about paying 50s.

Nick Foote says hold my beer.
( Or maybe he just has something against the Saints)!

Fisher, Foote and Stephens the FFS umpiring group of for f sake just
go away gtfo GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back