Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just looking at our team that played on the weekend. We couldn’t have been much older than north could have we? Put things into a little more perspective
Three oldest players and four of the five most experienced by games played yesterday were North Melbourne players.

Who said we are pinning our hopes on Hayes and Cordy? They are 2 of 25 in a team. It helps team structure but they aren't Bont and Hawkins, we all recognise that.
Hayes can rotate forward with Marshall, chops out in the ruck, frees up Owens etc, Cordy can play back or forward. But go ahead and tell us we are kidding ourselves that they are superstars if it make you feel good.
Only have to look back at the first 6 games when Cordy was there to see how he helped out the other forwards and the structure.
It feels like years ago, but it really wasn't.

Every time I am at the game and lamenting the fact I drove that far to see that, I remind myself it would be worse sitting at home listening to Dwayne.
100%
Unfortunately I chose the latter - wont happen again. Silly me.

I've been a fan of both Bytel and Clark for a long time, but I'm ready to move on from both. I'd offload Billings too, except there will be no takers. His two shots for goal in the last were dismal for a leader who is meant to be a beautiful kick of the footy.

I know Gresh can be frustrating, but his X factor puts him ahead of those guys. I'd be moving on those three (and others) while keeping Gresh, though the ITKs on here seem to think he's gone. Can't see us getting a first rounder for him, so I think we'll get reamed there.

Wilkie had his second absolute shocker for the year, but was good late. Dougal spudded it up early but also came good late.

Really hate the way that against both WC and Norf we hit the front on an absolute roll and then immediately went defensive. Could have kept the gas on in both games and won my 3 or 4 goals more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez some of you are harsh on Bytel. Played on a wing which is mind boggling. Thought he did ok.
Yep I’ve been watching him pretty closely since draft and when he comes into the side he gets unlucky with injury or playing in some position or role that doesn’t suit him. His early games weren’t helped by being used as a tagger which is the sort of role that you forget he did years later and only see the low stats.

I’m glad to hear others see this because I’m a pretty amateur observer of the game and every time I see him on the screen he looks out of his depth. Nice to hear there’s more I’m not seeing!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He may look like a bit of a dear in the headlights but he's a moments player at the moment. Its the marking, the handballs and the ability to spin in and out. If you check his stats tracking under 18 level, he got better every year.

Yep I’ve been watching him pretty closely since draft and when he comes into the side he gets unlucky with injury or playing in some position or role that doesn’t suit him. His early games weren’t helped by being used as a tagger which is the sort of role that you forget he did years later and only see the low stats.
I just think it foten happans when guys come in and the team doesn;t perform it is always the guy who has just comein who cops it. Ie Windy earlier in the year. Bytel needs a clump of games an onballer not a winger.

If Hayes and Cordy are what we’re pinning our hopes on then we’re in all sorts. It’s not personnel IMO, it’s system and has been all year. Based off 14 years of coaching Ross doesn’t know offense and he needs to bring in someone that does.
Ross gets a rough rap for being poor offensively.
Yea it’s defense first.
He has an offence but he needs 2 good talls.

2009 (yes 15 year ago George)
Roo and Kosi.
We were a top 4 offence.

2010 Roo was injured
2011 Kosi was injured
2012 onward freo was unashamedly chasing a full forward throwing the chequebook at Jroo, Cloke among others to pair with Pav, until pav retired.

2023 king injuries and camaniti a boy.
Once he has these 2 up and about, look out I reckon.

St Kilda v North Melbourne​

10 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
7 Ben McKay (NMFC)
5 Callum Wilkie (STK)
4 Jack Steele (STK)
2 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
1 Jack Sinclair (STK)
1 Tarryn Thomas (NMFC)

Saints hard man Zak Jones with 2 contested posessions💪 he did get a few clearances to his credit. Interesting why clearances aren't counted as contested possessions 🧐

North clearances, absolutely. They were waltzing out. But I'm surprised we had uncontested clearances!

And he kicked 6 goals in 7 games forward. That's OK for what he was being asked to do.
Cordy started well but really faded in his last couple of games forward (one disposal in his last game before being dropped, and he was subbed off three weeks in a row!). But more than the disposals and goals, early in the season he was playing a bullocking role and protecting the other forwards, but he seemed to have less impact without the ball in those later games.

North clearances, absolutely. They were waltzing out. But I'm surprised we had uncontested clearances!

Cordy started well but really faded in his last couple of games forward (one disposal in his last game before being dropped, and he was subbed off three weeks in a row!). But more than the disposals and goals, early in the season he was playing a bullocking role and protecting the other forwards, but he seemed to have less impact without the ball in those later games.

Saints had 37 stoppage clearances vs 23 .
5 centre clearances vs 10.

Jones had three stoppage clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back