Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Owens was only pushed forward after we lost Max, Skunk & Hayes preseason. That’s when Harvs made that comment.

They obviously wanted to see Max & Mitch play together so kept him there when Max came back.

Now we need someone to make a contest in F50 & no one can do that like Mitch can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we'll gain significantly more from having him in the midfield than we'd lose from him not being up forward

From the way I read Ross telling it, Harvey's comment wasn't about who was available. It was about how he saw Owens.

I’ll add to that,
As RTB would like to put sincs mid but loses too much off halfback,
Same case here losing Owens from the forward line when he is our 3rd highest goal kicker.

We're sh*t

Absolute dogsh*t to watch. Week after week.

A hot mess

So it's not working

Owens is a bull midfielder. Put him there and we'll be a better footy side.

Coaches votes totals after this one

55+: Sinclair (58 votes from 11 games voted in)
50+:
45+:
40+: Wilkie (43 from 8)
35+: Marshall (37 from 7)
30+:
25+: Owens (27 from 5)
20+:
15+: Wood (16 from 3), Wanganeen-Milera (15 from 3)
10+: Steele (13 from 5), Higgins (10 from 2)
5+: Hill (9 from 3), Crouch (6 from 3)
1+: Battle (2 from 1), Phillipou (2 from 1), Ross (2 from 2), King (2 from 2), Butler (1 from 1), Byrnes (1 from 1)

0: Howard (18 games played), Gresham (17), Stocker (17), Caminiti (15), Clark (13), Windhager (13), Paton (12), Webster (11), Sharman (10), Cordy (8), Bytel (6), Membrey (4), Jones (3), Billings (2), Peris (1)

Howard might be a whipping boy on here but clearly he's a whipping boy with the coaches as well - played more games without a coaches vote this year than anyone else.

Coaches votes totals after this one

55+: Sinclair (58 votes from 11 games voted in)
50+:
45+:
40+: Wilkie (43 from 8)
35+: Marshall (37 from 7)
30+:
25+: Owens (27 from 5)
20+:
15+: Wood (16 from 3), Wanganeen-Milera (15 from 3)
10+: Steele (13 from 5), Higgins (10 from 2)
5+: Hill (9 from 3), Crouch (6 from 3)
1+: Battle (2 from 1), Phillipou (2 from 1), Ross (2 from 2), King (2 from 2), Butler (1 from 1), Byrnes (1 from 1)

0: Howard (18 games played), Gresham (17), Stocker (17), Caminiti (15), Clark (13), Windhager (13), Paton (12), Webster (11), Sharman (10), Cordy (8), Bytel (6), Membrey (4), Jones (3), Billings (2), Peris (1)

Howard might be a whipping boy on here but clearly he's a whipping boy with the coaches as well - played more games without a coaches vote this year than anyone else.
Interesting - thanks

Gresham 17 games - 0 votes - tells you something given he is out of contract! No way I’d be paying over the odds if he wants to stay

Webster 11 games -0 votes - been very good this year - just gets the job done!

Look, it’s easy to understand..

Our mids as a group are just not very good. Ryder gave us a lift with his perfect ruck taps, but our mids couldn’t win first possession or win the ball back after conceding first possession, also can’t transition the ball fluidly once we have it.

Early in the year, we had fresh legs; used a perfect zone / forwards floods back to create turnovers and kicked easy goals. The competition had caught up (just like last year), the only thing Ross can try to do is bring in Campbell as the main ruck, rotate Marshall / forward, and try a different combination in the midfield = Stocker, Sinclair, Owens, Windhager + Steele + Crouch. Stop the ultra flood and ask players to beat their direct opponent for once, 10 years of unaccountable football have built up a lot of bad habits. Apart from a handful of our players, I don’t see many others can beat their opponents, win the ball without an out number..

Oh, and Howard is shocking as a tall defender, it’s ok to get done on a lead if the forward was too good and too fast, or the kick was too good, but most of the time, he stuff up himself because he slips, mis-judge the ball or gets shoved off so easily.. Why or why does St kilda football puts us through this pain, If i want to see mistakes, I’d prefer Cordy or Van Es or Adam’s be making these mistakes.. not a 27 year old stumbling mess, the worst thing is he is not even aware of his crapness, keeps pointing the fingers at others and repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Is Enright really a good backline coach? I’m starting to doubt that now.. with a spare player or two, it’s easy to defend. but our defence now leak like a sieve when it’s even numbers. Same players making the same mistakes. That tells me our defenders are not coached well enough.

We have a bottom 4 midfield and the youngest collective forward line in the competition yet only Collingwood have had less scored against them than us, so I’d wager to say our backline coaching is the least of our problems.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with Dougal. Such potential but his slipping over and misjudging the flight of the ball do my head in. The amount of times he turns to put body on his forward and completely misses them just to be side stepped and out marked without a contest is unbelievable for a key defender.

I always find the coaches votes interesting on what they liked

10 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
7 Ben McKay (NMFC)
5 Callum Wilkie (STK)
4 Jack Steele (STK)
2 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
1 Jack Sinclair (STK)
1 Tarryn Thomas (NMFC)

So was the following (the one votes can swap obviously). I reckon Ratts first then RTB (or the trainee receptionist whoever gets handed the card). I went with team Ratts putting in more North players...

5 LDU 5 LDU
4 McKay 4 Steele
3 Cal 3 McKay
2 Sheezel 2 Cal
1 Thomas 1 Sincs
One coach not having Steele in the best 5 on the ground is shocking given his last quarter performance.

He’s played Owens there all year, even with king in the side.

Said Robert Harvey labeled Owens as a forward.

He’s a bull midfielder. That’s what he is.

The fact he’s not getting used there is nothing short of idiotic.

Sharman spends time on the wing etc

Sorry, but I don’t feel like Ross is all over it at all.
I do think that Owens is such a threat up forward that at this stage we need him there due to our forward line.

I get we’ve been bad recently but also getting pretty sick of all the ‘fraudulent’ talk. We’ve beaten the giants
Swans in Sydney
Essendon
AFL wonder flogs the dogs
Lost to a rampaging Gold Coast.
Should’ve beaten the Deez.

We’re also missing our best/arguably most important forward. So yea our skills suck but our contested possessions and effort is there.

I get we’ve been bad recently but also getting pretty sick of all the ‘fraudulent’ talk. We’ve beaten the giants
Swans in Sydney
Essendon

We’re also missing our best/arguably most important forward. So yea our skills suck but our contested possessions and effort is there.

Watching the Brisbane game live, you could see effort was huge but there was a big quality gulf. I think we are milking the players hard but there isn’t much more they can do.

Can we get a bit of appreciation in this thread for the Hammer.

He has literally been the key forward for us for the majority of the year.

His pressure, tackling, marking, goal kicking has been there every game without fail.

Was hoping he might sneak a RS nomination this week, but Fletcher has been very good. Shame we didn’t keep Adrian.

I do think that Owens is such a threat up forward that at this stage we need him there due to our forward line.
I think he’ll pose more problem when he starts in the midfield and drifts forward. He’ll be getting massive size mismatches and will cause huge headaches for the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d take dull 50 point wins every round thank you very much.
I can’t believe how blasé I was about our wins in 2009/10.
Will never ever take it for granted if we ever reach those heights again.
I just wish I could tune into a game and fully relax knowing we will win. Even if it takes until midway through the 2nd quarter. Just give me a reason to kick back and relax.

Swans in Sydney
Essendon

Yeah but we are just horribly out of form right now, doesn't matter it can't turn around though.

Steele's been better the last couple of games.

King and Membrey will hopefully be back soon.

If we stay in the finals we could get smashed by 40 or break some hearts

Ironically (and apologise if this has been said) the only reason we won this one was Ratts inability to have a plan B.

The team has done well relying heavily process, good youngsters and a few stars.

Need to clean up a lot of issues on and off field, fascinated to get to the off season.

Imagine what we could achieve with a good list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back