Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

After everything...and I've been very critical of the last 10 weeks...(mainly because, you know - I've watched us play and it's clear as day we're off the pace for large chunks of the game) we have 10 wins.

So excited to see what we do in the off-season. We should be looking to off load as much of the deadweight as possible.

Here's a few of the guys that played yesterday that I'd be assessing in trades, delisting etc:

Billings, Bytel, Clark, Gresham, Howard, Jones, Webste.

I'd also be looking to/explore moving one of Steele or Crouch if possible (it may not be for another year or two). Can't be anything more than an average midfield with those two and Ross as your 3 main insiders. Sorry to say but it's just a fact.

After everything...and I've been very critical of the last 10 weeks...(mainly because, you know - I've watched us play and it's clear as day we're off the pace for large chunks of the game) we have 10 wins.

So excited to see what we do in the off-season. We should be looking to off load as much of the deadweight as possible.

Here's a few of the guys that played yesterday that I'd be assessing in trades, delisting etc:

Billings, Bytel, Clark, Gresham, Howard, Jones, Webste.

I'd also be looking to/explore moving one of Steele or Crouch if possible (it may not be for another year or two). Can't be anything more than an average midfield with those two and Ross as your 3 main insiders. Sorry to say but it's just a fact.
Keep Steele and Crouch for mine, just bin Seb and focus on others. Other names I largely agree with. Webster has been a good warrior and probably slipped under the radar as having a good year.

Listen to RTB‘s press conference - he knows exactly whats going on but damned hard to fix.

No Membrey or King so has to rely on Caminiti, Owens & Pou as key forward targets - all “babies”

Wants to play Hayes and/or Cordy forward - both not fit to play - his hands are pretty much tied. The only option he probably hasn’t tried is Marshall forward & Cambpell ruck.

Wants to play Sinclair full time mid but loses too much in the back half.

When you listen without emotion u can understand that just maybe, with the quality of our list & injuries, there arent that many realistic options to tweak.

Listen to RTB‘s press conference - he knows exactly whats going on but damned hard to fix.

No Membrey or King so has to rely on Caminiti, Owens & Pou as key forward targets - all “babies”

Wants to play Hayes and/or Cordy forward - both not fit to play - his hands are pretty much tied. The only option he probably hasn’t tried is Marshall forward & Cambpell ruck.

When you listen without emotion u can understand that just maybe, with the quality of our list & injuries, there arent that many realistic options to tweak.

correct. couple this with his comments on the midfield and spreading the load beyond the top 5 players and its obvious whats going on

He’s played Owens there all year, even with king in the side.

Said Robert Harvey labeled Owens as a forward.

He’s a bull midfielder. That’s what he is.

The fact he’s not getting used there is nothing short of idiotic.

Sharman spends time on the wing etc

Sorry, but I don’t feel like Ross is all over it at all.

This. Spot on

Well it's a year of exploration

You can say one thing about barracking for the Saints.... its never dull... and we love it !!!
I’d take dull 50 point wins every round thank you very much.
I can’t believe how blasé I was about our wins in 2009/10.
Will never ever take it for granted if we ever reach those heights again.

Ok I would love Owens to play in the midfield and I think he will end up like Petracca and play forward/mid.

However this year King has played 6 full games and Membrey 3 (not sure how many together - 3 Max obviously). Similar size to Owens like Hayes not available all season to date and you can’t equate Cordy to Owens.

Owens is our 3rd highest goal kicker after Higgins & Butler - over the year our most productive and dangerous tallish forward. Take him out Sunday and you need to replace 2 goals & kick to Caminiti, Pou and Sharman (not that threatening)

We have multiple midfield options admittedly some of them not very good. Limited decent forward options season to date- unfortunately for Owens he has done too good a job forward!

Owens is just like Sinclair (we need him back & on ball). Owens we need Forward and midfield - maybe just clone him.

Team balance and doing the best to get the most out of limited resources

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played forward because we started the year with ZERO key forwards.

Seb said on comms in training he didn’t see Owens as a forward, he thought he was a bull mid.

I always find the coaches votes interesting on what they liked

10 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
7 Ben McKay (NMFC)
5 Callum Wilkie (STK)
4 Jack Steele (STK)
2 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
1 Jack Sinclair (STK)
1 Tarryn Thomas (NMFC)

So was the following (the one votes can swap obviously). I reckon Ratts first then RTB (or the trainee receptionist whoever gets handed the card). I went with team Ratts putting in more North players...

5 LDU 5 LDU
4 McKay 4 Steele
3 Cal 3 McKay
2 Sheezel 2 Cal
1 Thomas 1 Sincs

I know
I watched it
I also saw him look fine getting in the van
He also got up took a mark and had a kick

I'm expecting a busted sternum then, because he went to hospital

That's how I knew it wasn't structural. I've had my chest x-rayed a few times as sinus things impacting lungs was the thought process before nope, just nose and throat, anyway, when there was no real blood or indentation from a rather skin tight apparel, it was always going to be bruising, strain or similar, you tend to just feel slightly short of breath so long as it's not a straight puncture or some such since the other lung can compensate quite well. if it's structural, you try and collapse in a heap as even the act of breathing impacts wherever the damage is in that area.

When they sent him to hospital for precautionary, and since I also know a few physios at local level in AFL parlance, they do tests, they would have guesses based on feel, it'd have been something bruised as the thought most likely and NFI that it was lung until scans confirmed it.

My only question is, was his table also stone cold when they did that scan cause why on earth air con in winter...

Owens was only pushed forward after we lost Max, Skunk & Hayes preseason. That’s when Harvs made that comment.

They obviously wanted to see Max & Mitch play together so kept him there when Max came back.

Now we need someone to make a contest in F50 & no one can do that like Mitch can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owens was only pushed forward after we lost Max, Skunk & Hayes preseason. That’s when Harvs made that comment.

They obviously wanted to see Max & Mitch play together so kept him there when Max came back.

Now we need someone to make a contest in F50 & no one can do that like Mitch can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll add to that,
As RTB would like to put sincs mid but loses too much off halfback,
Same case here losing Owens from the forward line when he is our 3rd highest goal kicker.

Look, it’s easy to understand..

Our mids as a group are just not very good. Ryder gave us a lift with his perfect ruck taps, but our mids couldn’t win first possession or win the ball back after conceding first possession, also can’t transition the ball fluidly once we have it.

Early in the year, we had fresh legs; used a perfect zone / forwards floods back to create turnovers and kicked easy goals. The competition had caught up (just like last year), the only thing Ross can try to do is bring in Campbell as the main ruck, rotate Marshall / forward, and try a different combination in the midfield = Stocker, Sinclair, Owens, Windhager + Steele + Crouch. Stop the ultra flood and ask players to beat their direct opponent for once, 10 years of unaccountable football have built up a lot of bad habits. Apart from a handful of our players, I don’t see many others can beat their opponents, win the ball without an out number..

Oh, and Howard is shocking as a tall defender, it’s ok to get done on a lead if the forward was too good and too fast, or the kick was too good, but most of the time, he stuff up himself because he slips, mis-judge the ball or gets shoved off so easily.. Why or why does St kilda football puts us through this pain, If i want to see mistakes, I’d prefer Cordy or Van Es or Adam’s be making these mistakes.. not a 27 year old stumbling mess, the worst thing is he is not even aware of his crapness, keeps pointing the fingers at others and repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Is Enright really a good backline coach? I’m starting to doubt that now.. with a spare player or two, it’s easy to defend. but our defence now leak like a sieve when it’s even numbers. Same players making the same mistakes. That tells me our defenders are not coached well enough.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back