Preview Round 17, 2023: St.Kilda v Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 8th July, 7:25PM AEST *STEELE 150TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Demons

Votes: 33 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actually pretty keen to see how we go with two genuine KPD’s for the first time in what, 3 years? Since Carlisle was running around? Thanks again Gags.

Surely a Clark for Ross swap is on.

He's definitely improved from last year to this year, and if he can continue on that trajectory he will turn into a very handy player. But he does need to improve. He makes me nervous because I'm still never sure what level of quality he will deliver from possession to possession; sometimes he looks like a solid 50 gamer and other times he looks like a deer in headlights. But there is no disputing he's industrious and has done some nice things. He just needs to lift his ceiling in terms of contest and disposal and he should come good.

His form has petered out as the season has gone on. Remember round one he had 27 disposal, 4 clearances (team best), 12 contested possessions (best on ground), and was in the votes for most. He was in off the back of being close to best performed in the Dees v Saints practice match too.

I commented in that Brisbane match that he looked a lot slower even though he's still running heaps. I think a long season and the way he plays has caught up with him. No-one in AFL would cover more ground at top speed. He's probably never going to be a star but can see a Geary type of career for him.

He’s been saying that his knee isn’t the reason for his drop in form currently, but the club never denied he did a medial. That was reported at the time.

He did do a presser where he seemed to suggest that Steele wasn't injured and that if he names himself fit he should be performing. Seemed to minimise his injuries and pretend that the knee was fine.

I think Byrnes will be the sub.

Fourteen Saints have played every game. Three of those fourteen are out of the 22 this week.

My suggestions/expectations for team breakdown:

Defenders: Wilkie, Cordy, Howard, Webster, Stocker, NWM, Sinclair
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Ross, Crouch, Wood, Jones, Gresham, Windhager
Forwards: King, Caminiti, Sharman, Butler, Phillipou, Owens, Billings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did do a presser where he seemed to suggest that Steele wasn't injured and that if he names himself fit he should be performing. Seemed to minimise his injuries and pretend that the knee was fine.
Yep he wasn't aware that ch7 had doorstopped Steele at the clinic and asked about his knee. Don't think he was too happy being left out of the loop on that one haha

Maybe the knee is fine now? Either way, it was always reported that he had done his medial at the time. There was no hiding of the injury from the club.

Reckon with Steele it's an unfortunate combination of issues holding him back. The knee makes him look slow off the mark and he probably still doesn't have full confidence in the shoulder, even if subconsciously. Mixed in with that his weight loss may well have impacted his core strength, his one wood in tight.

Hard to know what he'll be able to produce as the season wears on.

Reckon with Steele it's an unfortunate combination of issues holding him back. The knee makes him look slow off the mark and he probably still doesn't have full confidence in the shoulder, even if subconsciously. Mixed in with that his weight loss may well have impacted his core strength, his one wood in tight.

I don't think a player with the quality of Steele will have bad form slumps if he is fit and ready, I think it's a matter of his body not being right and he is probably a bit frustrated right now.

I don't think a player with the quality of Steele will have bad form slumps if he is fit and ready, I think it's a matter of his body not being right and he is probably a bit frustrated right now.

The SEN interview he did was pretty good. He didn't blame injuries and took responsibility for his form. The interviewer said he had excuses, Steele just said all players are carrying something at this time of year. Hopefully he's primed for a huge match. We need the best of Steele against the Dees who are close to the best midfield set up in the AFL.

Actually pretty keen to see how we go with two genuine KPD’s for the first time in what, 3 years? Since Carlisle was running around? Thanks again Gags.

Surely a Clark for Ross swap is on.
FMD, Gallagher gets hammered for actually getting Howard as a key defender, then you blaming him for us not having enough key defenders.
Jesus Christ this forum is an asylum.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was lucky enough to be at the WC game on Sunday, and I hadn't really noticed previously how he seems to have no acceleration. In tight, he had no real capacity to tackle a guy who got the ball near him. They just brushed him off, which is very un-Steele.

I was lucky enough to be at the WC game on Sunday, and I hadn't really noticed previously how he seems to have no acceleration. In tight, he had no real capacity to tackle a guy who got the ball near him. They just brushed him off, which is very un-Steele.

He doesn't seem to be able to push off the knee or change direction quickly and with the shoulder needing one knock to end his season I think he's really struggling. Add the achilles and he's as banged up as anyone in the league. I get tendonitis in the achilles and trying to push through that is excruciating. It's not util you have them sore that you realise how much you use them. You end up over compensating and hurting other muscles too.

He doesn't seem to be able to push off the knee or change direction quickly and with the shoulder needing one knock to end his season I think he's really struggling. Add the achilles and he's as banged up as anyone in the league. I get tendonitis in the achilles and trying to push through that is excruciating. It's not util you have them sore that you realise how much you use them. You end up over compensating and hurting other muscles too.
He seems to be visibly limping when walking around at stoppages. They must have decided it's not going to get worse and will take too long to get better, so he's just going to play out the year and rehabilitate over the off-season. Just a guess but he is clearly still injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back