AFLW 2018 - R3 - Carlton v Brisbane, 7.40pm, Saturday, Feb 17th

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually think this game is pretty good. Lions are well drilled and are now driving the nails in. Blues have some good tall marking athletic types that need to be put in more offensive positions

Good tackling and some biffo. Like I said pretty good game.
Well said mate, I like your style. I am enjoying the game too.

was at the wedding last weekend - probably a lucky one to miss from an Adelaide perspective

you coming to training tomorrow?

Do I ever go to training? But seriously, do want to but not this week mate. Getting ready for an inspection on Monday.. .cleaning all day. YAYYYYYYY!!!!

Msg some time, I have beer on tap, let's catch up!

Well said mate, I like your style. I am enjoying the game too.
The transitions are great, the problem is Carlton's game plan is 'park three spares on Sabs every time Brisbane gets the ball'. It's no surprise they have no rebound, it's also completely unwatchable.

That contest, Carlton dropping 3 back. No wonder this is unwatchable.
To be fair, they have lost their best player. In the early stages of this comp, any team that loses its gun players is going to really feel it. With Brennan going down today , it is sad that we have already lost some stars for the season, the best players need to be out there. The standard is going to suffer if they are not.

To be fair, they have lost their best player. In the early stages of this comp, any team that loses its gun players is going to really feel it. With Brennan going down today , it is sad that we have already lost some stars for the season, the best players need to be out there. The standard is going to suffer if they are not.

and look at Adelaide's first two games without Phillips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, they have lost their best player. In the early stages of this comp, any team that loses its gun players is going to really feel it. With Brennan going down today , it is sad that we have already lost some stars for the season, the best players need to be out there.
You say that, but Carlton were the lowest-scoring of the five teams with a win coming into this week. Carlton-Collingwood was terrible for a similar reason, and Carlton-GWS was the same before the storm hit. I think they've played a half of attacking footy thus far.

and look at Adelaide's first two games without Phillips

Adelaide still played pretty well Rd1 despite the loss, and Carlton have been low-scoring and zoning off with similar patterns every week. Davey not being out there isn't the justification for this. It's a touch more noticeable this week, but Carlton have struggled to rebound quickly every week thus far.

This isn't an AFLW problem. None of Melbourne, WB, Brisbane, Adelaide (even with Phillips going down) or GWS are playing this way. Collingwood are too average to work out, and Freo's gameplan is a bit of a mess to try and work out.

It's a Carlton game plan problem.

The game earlier today was a great game to watch. Shame that one was not the televised one.
Sounded it. I'm not criticising the AFLW as a whole because judging by the scores today and the WB/Melbourne/Brisbane play from Rds1&2 are showing that it's not an AFLW problem. It's a coaching problem around Carlton in particular.

You say that, but Carlton were the lowest-scoring of the five teams with a win coming into this week. Carlton-Collingwood was terrible for a similar reason, and Carlton-GWS was the same before the storm hit. I think they've played a half of attacking footy thus far.

Adelaide still played pretty well Rd1 despite the loss, and Carlton have been low-scoring and zoning off with similar patterns every week. Davey not being out there isn't the justification for this. It's a touch more noticeable this week, but Carlton have struggled to rebound quickly every week thus far.

This isn't an AFLW problem. None of Melbourne, WB, Brisbane, Adelaide (even with Phillips going down) or GWS are playing this way. Collingwood are too average to work out, and Freo's gameplan is a bit of a mess to try and work out.

It's a Carlton game plan problem.
Agree with most of your points, I thought Adelaide were pretty ordinary in their first two games, though. It just goes to show how good Phillips is and how a genuine star in this competition can make a huge difference to a team This will even out as the competition evolves though, as players find their feet. Both Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are far better than Carlton, and are playing the game the way it should be played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back