Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jasmine Grierson and Emma Humphries off to North.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/5b0b8e5a155c736bd1784a1671afcc7a

Bit disappointed about losing Grierson, I thought she started to look good towards the end of last season.

And we are part of a three way stand off with Carlton and Collingwood with Maddie Gay wanting to become a Dee;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-31/aflw-threeway-trade-stalemate-looms
Was going to say dirty about Grierson.

Signed for 2019 so far;

Harriet Cordner, Tegan Cunningham, Meg Downie, Madeleine Guerin, Ashleigh Guest, Kate Hore, Bianca Jakobsson, Ainslie Kemp, Sarah Lampard, Lily Mithen, Aliesha Newman, Elise O'Dea, Karen Paxman, Lauren Pearce, Shelley Scott, Katherine Smith, Claudia Whitfort, Eden Zanker

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-01/aflw-sign-and-trade-period

Still looking at Daisy, Alyssa Mifsud, Laura Duryea, Brooke Patterson, Maddie Shevlin and Cat Phillips from our 2018 list as those left that haven't re-signed with us or officially moved elsewhere. If we sign Maddie Gay from Carlton that would take us to 19, which means we could only sign four more for now - if I understand the system correctly we are limited to 23 at this stage.

I'd be shocked if Daisy wasn't one of those four.........Brooke's husband works at the club as AFLW/Melbourne Academy Talent Manager.........really don't want to lose Cat Phillips even though she was disappointing this year.............Shevlin was a rookie so they'll probably be patient with her...............Duryea fell out of favour towards the end of last season.............Mifsud has essentially been replaced by Tegan Cunningham and potentially Eden Zanker. And of course there is always the chance we could sign someone from another club.

Mifsud! MIFSUD!!! Are you serious Melbourne WHY! WHY! WHY!...
She was dropped a few times this year for Tegan as our preferred forward target.

I don’t know the reasons as such, but I guess the why is buried in there somewhere.

She was dropped a few times this year for Tegan as our preferred forward target.

I don’t know the reasons as such, but I guess the why is buried in there somewhere.

Yeah, she really lost her place to Tegan, with Eden Zanker being the medium-long term prospect as a key forward. I would have hoped we could have traded her and got something in return, I'm sure there must be clubs that would be keen for a key forward of her standing. She did finish third in the competition goal kicking in 2017. I expect someone will pick her up in the draft, I guess there is even the possibility she could do a Harriet Cordner and come back to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shae Sloane listed second in the best players for Casey in their win against Essendon yesterday, in what I believe is only her second senior match. Bodes well for us in 2019 and beyond.

Daisy Teeing off with the AFL and Gillon with the competition potentially remaining at a 6 round season despite expansion.
It was 7 rounds last season. So 1 round less home and away and 1 more in finals. Not sure what to think.

It was 7 rounds last season. So 1 round less home and away and 1 more in finals. Not sure what to think.
I would think that with a league of 10 teams were teams don't even play each other once, knowing what to think would be easy.

Daisy is spot on, AFLW is being treated as an off season tournament, which to me means, premium female football league is the VFLW, and the AFLW is just a short summer distraction.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I would think that with a league of 10 teams were teams don't even play each other once, knowing what to think would be easy.

Daisy is spot on, AFLW is being treated as an off season tournament, which to me means, premium female football league is the VFLW, and the AFLW is just a short summer distraction.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Yup. Load of rubbish from the league.

I know the AFL fixturing is a joke but they can at least get the womens right. How can anyone take it seriously if the teams don't play each other once? It's not fair, there will be teams that get an advantage or a disadvantage.

I know the AFL fixturing is a joke but they can at least get the womens right. How can anyone take it seriously if the teams don't play each other once? It's not fair, there will be teams that get an advantage or a disadvantage.
The worst part is that with the model they have chosen there’s real scope to expand the comp quickly and effectively to at least 17 matches. Would need to combine with 18 teams but:

- Primary mechanism: AFLW as curtain raisers. Teams the same as the men’s game.
- If curtain raiser isn’t possible (Thurs and Fri nights the primary example) match played on the same weekend at suburban ground- eg Richmond v Geelong played at Punt Rd this weekend.
- AFLW Grand Final on the Friday night of GF weekend.

Entry with a game day ticket or equivalent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back