Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

She used to engage with me when I’d reply to her tweets about something great a Vic player, with a ‘terrific but this Freo player did this’, and she’d be ‘oh yes, but...’
Now I just tweet - have you forgotten about the team who was undefeated in 2020, and has been 13-2 since the end of 2018? Or - ‘5 of Freo’s last 13 wins have been away wins’ or ‘Freo have won 66% of games away from home the last two seasons’.

She ignores me. But I won’t stop.

Sounds like she muted you.

I can buy she's genuinely passionate about AFLW, but she has some serious deficiencies as a journo and the fact she's the only AFL Media one covering AFLW really exposes her.

Fremantle

Integral defender Ange Stannett has taken the opportunity to change numbers, moving from No.24 to No.4, with former West Coast forward Tarnee Tester then slotting into the created vacancy.

The club's first draft pick, Sarah Verrier, is picking up new Eagles recruit Tayla Bresland's No.5, while returning Docker Tiah Haynes (pictured below) has slotted into No.33, with her previous No.6 occupied by Sabreena Duffy.

Players in bold are new or have changed numbers

1. Ashley Sharp, 2. Kiara Bowers, 3. Emma O'Driscoll, 4. Ange Stannett (formerly 24), 5. Sarah Verrier, 6. Sabreena Duffy, 7. Jasmin Stewart, 8. Evie Gooch, 9. Alex Williams, 10. Aine Tighe, 11. Mikayla Morrison, 12. Ebony Antonio, 13. Katie-Jayne Grieve, 14. Leah Mascall, 15. Kara Antonio, 16. Maggie MacLachlan, 17. Roxy Roux, 18. Philipa Seth, 19. Hayley Miller, 20. Stephanie Cain, 21. Mim Strom, 22. Gabby O'Sullivan, 23. Matilda Sergeant, 24. Tarnee Tester, 25. Ann McMahon, 26. Bianca Webb, 27. Gemma Houghton, 29. Janelle Cuthberston, 32. Laura Pugh, 33. Tiah Haynes

Now I just tweet - have you forgotten about the team who was undefeated in 2020, and has been 13-2 since the end of 2018? Or - ‘5 of Freo’s last 13 wins have been away wins’ or ‘Freo have won 66% of games away from home the last two seasons’.
I'm pretty sure Sarah Black's middle name is "Victoria" but I somewhat agree with her point. What I don't agree with is singling out Freo as both Carlton and North have question marks about their form away as well. Neither have beaten a decent team away in the past two years. Both of them also had easier draws than Freo in 2020 and neither were undefeated.

The only two games we lost in the past two years were against the two teams who ended up playing in the 2019 Grand Final (Adelaide & Carlton). Both times we played away. We shouldn't have played away against Carlton in that final - the conference system screwed us.

Annoyingly we play those same two teams away again next year. Carlton has managed to avoid heading to Perth for 3 years in a row now - and will be playing at home against both West Coast and Freo next year. Looks like the fix is in - will enjoy when it goes pear shaped and we get salty Vic tears.

No excuses for Freo - we have the ability to beat any team at home or away. We won't have an asterisk on winning the premiership if we do... so I'm happy with our harder draw.

Sounds like she muted you.

I can buy she's genuinely passionate about AFLW, but she has some serious deficiencies as a journo and the fact she's the only AFL Media one covering AFLW really exposes her.
Agree wholeheartedly with point 2, not so sure about point 1. I can feel there’s still something, the very occasional reply, or brief comment, but maybe as I know I’ve got under her skin. Tin foil hat: she made those comments about Freo specifically to piss ME off 😂😂

Ah from a while back. Yeah I remember those. I thought you were referring to a response from the latest dribble from Black about Freo being unproven on the road. She really pisses me off.
Lazy journalism, in the last 2 seasons Freo have won 80% of their interstate regular season games.
Not sure of too many teams in the world with a similar record on the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was time for some quick predictions/analysis ahead of the Xmas break...

Lot of chatter about some of the Vic midfields but Freo's is looking primed for the upcoming season. Good short segment from the Antonios on Ch9 last night.

R Strom/Tighe ~ Miller ~ Bowers
C Cain ~ KAntonio ~ EAntonio

Looks very very good. If Strom can take another step after a great debut season and Tighe can impact both when in the ruck and up forward then we'll have the best and most balanced midfield we've ever had. Steph looks 100% and should be good Rd 1, Aine may need a bit more time but we should still see plenty of her this season. The rest are all doing personal bests in running etc. Bowers is going to scare opposition players with those guns, and Kara seems to have really turned back the clock and can see her playing inside a fair bit more this season. Ebs confirmed she'll play mostly wing this season. Expecting Grieve has secured her spot as part of the midfield rotation - another tackling machine. Assume the remaining mid spot on the bench will be one of Stewart, Webb or Sergeant - thinking in that order given Tilda is coming off a LTI.

Our back line is looks similarly primed with Pugh and Stannett both smashing the off season. I'm assuming:

B Pugh ~ Cuthbertson
HB Stannett ~ Seth ~ Gooch

Williams is still out for a month with a wrist injury but hopefully she'll join later in the season. So expecting to see one of O'Driscoll, Haynes or McLachlan rotating off the bench in the meantime. Think we can cover the loss of Mascall quite well.

The forward line has obviously been the main strength in recent years. I'm a little concerned I've yet to see Duffy this pre-season?! Think we would have heard if she was out though. I'm also yet to be convinced Sharp is AFL conditioned currently so will not be surprised if she doesn't line up Rd 1. These potential losses/risks are offset by Houghton smashing her running PBs, Roux looking pumped for her 2nd season, O'Sullivan coming off a season dominating the WAFLW, and a bunch of exciting and talented new and young faces putting their hands up to fill the spots. Verrier has been training forward and her skills could see her debut Rd 1. McMahon is getting closer to full fitness. Tighe looks more than capable to play as another tall but mobile forward. Morrison looked great before getting appendicitis (could still debut this season). And Tester is another dangerous small forward option up our sleeves.

HF Verrier ~ Houghton ~ O'Sullivan
F Duffy ~ Roux

Hopefully 2021 is the best AFLW season yet!

Thought it was time for some quick predictions/analysis ahead of the Xmas break...

Lot of chatter about some of the Vic midfields but Freo's is looking primed for the upcoming season. Good short segment from the Antonios on Ch9 last night.

R Strom/Tighe ~ Miller ~ Bowers
C Cain ~ KAntonio ~ EAntonio

Looks very very good. If Strom can take another step after a great debut season and Tighe can impact both when in the ruck and up forward then we'll have the best and most balanced midfield we've ever had. Steph looks 100% and should be good Rd 1, Aine may need a bit more time but we should still see plenty of her this season. The rest are all doing personal bests in running etc. Bowers is going to scare opposition players with those guns, and Kara seems to have really turned back the clock and can see her playing inside a fair bit more this season. Ebs confirmed she'll play mostly wing this season. Expecting Grieve has secured her spot as part of the midfield rotation - another tackling machine. Assume the remaining mid spot on the bench will be one of Stewart, Webb or Sergeant - thinking in that order given Tilda is coming off a LTI.

Our back line is looks similarly primed with Pugh and Stannett both smashing the off season. I'm assuming:

B Pugh ~ Cuthbertson
HB Stannett ~ Seth ~ Gooch

Williams is still out for a month with a wrist injury but hopefully she'll join later in the season. So expecting to see one of O'Driscoll, Haynes or McLachlan rotating off the bench in the meantime. Think we can cover the loss of Mascall quite well.

The forward line has obviously been the main strength in recent years. I'm a little concerned I've yet to see Duffy this pre-season?! Think we would have heard if she was out though. I'm also yet to be convinced Sharp is AFL conditioned currently so will not be surprised if she doesn't line up Rd 1. These potential losses/risks are offset by Houghton smashing her running PBs, Roux looking pumped for her 2nd season, O'Sullivan coming off a season dominating the WAFLW, and a bunch of exciting and talented new and young faces putting their hands up to fill the spots. Verrier has been training forward and her skills could see her debut Rd 1. McMahon is getting closer to full fitness. Tighe looks more than capable to play as another tall but mobile forward. Morrison looked great before getting appendicitis (could still debut this season). And Tester is another dangerous small forward option up our sleeves.

HF Verrier ~ Houghton ~ O'Sullivan
F Duffy ~ Roux

Hopefully 2021 is the best AFLW season yet!
Expecting a big season from O'Driscoll, she got better every game she played last season! Can I ask why you are questioning sharp though?

fu** off Sarah Black.

I follow her on Twitter, and if you’re not on the eastern seaboard you don’t exist. If you’re eastern seaboard but not Melbourne, she has a vague awareness that you’re there, but otherwise she’s one of the most Vic-centric AFLW ‘journos’/watchers/commentators that there are. Her disrespect and continued ‘we have to wait for Freo to play away from home before we rate them’, and her inability to even pronounce our ‘best player’s’ name (she probably only knows half a dozen of them), is both insulting and laughable, and she kinda makes me a little nauseated.

She used to engage with me when I’d reply to her tweets about something great a Vic player, with a ‘terrific but this Freo player did this’, and she’d be ‘oh yes, but...’

She ignores me. But I won’t stop.
You're doing God's work!

Hi guys. Yes WCE supporter but long time supporter of women’s footy - some of you know this with my now two WAFLW U18s daughters representing WP 😁

Anyway - I hope the recent borders closures do not take away from your wonderful bunch of talented women the chance at redemption for an abrupt pull of the comp 2020.

Hubs look likely - however I worry given the semi professional nature some of our top end talent nation wide won’t be able to play.

Perhaps I’m worrying for no reason but it is certainly an issue.

Flip side - we may see a s**t tonne of AFLW played here if things fall our way

My opinion is that Freo will steamroll through every team bar Norf and maybe Carlton this season - you’ll still beat them as your miles ahead in terms of physicality, skill and gut running. Trent is a great coach and motivator & easy to talk to 👍🏽

All the best - see you at Optus 🤞🏽

Last edited:
Fremantle

There's really not much more for Fremantle to do after an undefeated 2020 than prove themselves against the other top sides, an opportunity denied by the cancellation of the season. They've definitely got the forward firepower to blow sides out of the water, but is the engine room (aside from the first-choice Kiara Bowers (pictured below), Kara Antonio and Hayley Miller combination) deep enough to match it with North Melbourne and Carlton?

I dunno. A flag would be nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back