List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At least she finally got a flag with us after having missed the 2019 and 2021 grand final sides.

We dropped her this year, I wonder if that was playing on her mind. We made her really earn her spot back too. At Freo she might get to play as an inside mid which is where she made her name as a junior.

It's a shame to lose her but it can be covered. I'm not sure she was giving us much more in the role we had her playing than, say, Newman or even Ballard could provide anyway.

I could see Newman leaving for more opportunity too, but hopefully not.

Pretty surprise at Gore though

I liked Gore :( I mean, she's replaceable, but she's only 21 and she's only going to get better (for Freo now, which only strengthens the opposition)

Indy Tahau returning to SA to go to Port by the sounds of things, that’s a solid pick up for them she’s not looking like the gun she was shaping up to be when playing for South Adelaide as a junior but turned herself into a pretty reliable defender for Brisbane last season.

Reading the article on the AFC website, it definitely sounds like Nikki left because she wanted more midfield time. Hard to blame her, that's her natural role and she got dropped in the role we found for her. And she's not getting in ahead of Hatchard, Marinoff or Martin.

Wonder how much the club is worried/upset about it. Harper seemed kind of annoyed

Last edited:
Wonder how much the club is worried/upset about it. Harper seemed kind of a need.

I'm sure they would have preferred to keep her, but she wouldn't have been a top priority.

Interestingly Freo will need to trade for her, and unlike previous years trades actually mean something for us now since Port is picking from our pool as well. I wonder what we'll get for Gore - second round pick? Third round? I have no sense of what the market rate for players is in AFLW.

I'm sure they would have preferred to keep her, but she wouldn't have been a top priority.

Interestingly Freo will need to trade for her, and unlike previous years trades actually mean something for us now since Port is picking from our pool as well. I wonder what we'll get for Gore - second round pick? Third round? I have no sense of what the market rate for players is in AFLW.
Wonder if Freo also lured her with the old Modra lure of being allowed to just surf all week between games.

I reckon we will play the first rd pick card, and she’s still young

This article is pretty much a whole lot of nothing, it doesn’t really clear up any of mess when it comes to academies and drafting in SA in the future, it just says they’ll be no geographical zones but the weird split of SANFL clubs will still be used to zone players to the 2 clubs academies but no rules have been made about draft exclusivity from academies. A bit ridiculous they still haven’t set the parameters of the free amount of the SA draftees Port will be getting and who the Crows will even be able to select in the draft.

This article is pretty much a whole lot of nothing, it doesn’t really clear up any of mess when it comes to academies and drafting in SA in the future, it just says they’ll be no geographical zones but the weird split of SANFL clubs will still be used to zone players to the 2 clubs academies but no rules have been made about draft exclusivity from academies. A bit ridiculous they still haven’t set the parameters of the free amount of the SA draftees Port will be getting and who the Crows will even be able to select in the draft.

I will try to explain that this was extra added complexity to the Draft for the expansion clubs of Geelong and Gold Coast Suns that the State Based Drafts included regions for Vic and Qld. Players could nominate a zone which limited which club could pick players up. As GCS & GC were at least 1 hr or more away than the travel time was accommodated so that or semi professional players were not required to move Intra State Team.

Also Qld academy zones include regions. GCS included FNQ (Rockhampton to Cape York), Gold Coast Region including Northern NSW and Darwin Metro.
Lauren Bella Gold Coast is an example from Academy in Sarina near Mackay and was able to nominate Gold Coast. QLD players can nominate Bris or Gold Coast or any QLD.

Likewise initially with Geelong the AFL was worried that a Geelong player living in the outer Eastern Suburbs may have a 2 hr commute.

As Freo is part of metro Perth a separate region wasn't required likewise Adelaide.

The bigger concern to me was that there is no NGA Academy for the AFLW. Where Indigenous and players from overseas background. That makes me think we could Rookie the sister of our NGA Academy player even though she wasn't born in Egypt and hasn't played SANFLW. What about Isobel Borlase another 180cm Guard like Simmons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Norwood Tall Bella Smith is moving to Sydney from Collingwood after limited opportunities with the Pies, bit surprised Port didn’t try a bit harder to get her to come back home, I wouldn’t have even minded if the Crows would’ve had a look at her as a marking target up forward.

With Niamh Kelly addressing some midfield pace issues a quick small defender and a marking tall forward are really the only two holes the team have.

The bigger concern to me was that there is no NGA Academy for the AFLW. Where Indigenous and players from overseas background. That makes me think we could Rookie the sister of our NGA Academy player even though she wasn't born in Egypt and hasn't played SANFLW. What about Isobel Borlase another 180cm Guard like Simmons.
Issy Borlase is at the AIS and in Australian basketball squads. I can't see her shifting to football. Yet.
Having seen her play a lot though, if she did, I suspect she would be close to Erin levels. She's a freakish talent.

Is Deni Varnhagen still on the Crows list and ok to play?

She's still on the Crows list, yes. That may change once the CBA is announced and we move to a proper sign/trade/delist period.

I doubt she would be okay to play. Again, nothing is set in stone yet but there was this comment from a recent Sarah Black article:

Given the AFL men's season will still be running when the new women's season begins, the AFL is unlikely to change its vaccination regulations, ruling out Deni Varnhagen and Georgia Patrikios.

Inactive players: Who's out, who's a chance to come back?

Heard something about McKinnon wanting to go to the Saints which had bugged me all day but just found out it was about a GWS player, not Montana... :sweat:

Speaking of that, wasn't there rumours a while back that both Gould and McKinnon were getting interest interstate (plus no doubt from Port as well)? It was one of the earlier rumours but I haven't heard anything since.

As for GWS, they're in trouble. Both of their rucks have requested a trade and Jess Allan is still not available.

She's been a long-time Hawthorn fan and played in their VFLW side as well. Seems like it was a pretty easy decision for her to make.
when do all the changes need to have been announced? Cannot help but feel there are a few more left to go from us but don't know when they all need to be flushed out by

Remove this Banner Ad

Back