Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2023: North Melbourne v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We open AFLW Season 8 against the Roos down in Tassie next Sunday afternoon.

To catch up, our playing list for 2023 is below;

Everything AFLW Saints Media

General Saints AFLW Talk

I think Lambert might be the most important inclusion for us. Interesting to see how Wardlaw manages without the Lions silver service, she might take a few matches to work into our style.

We've lost some players who were important to us, but also brought in some decent players too. Will we be better? Maybe marginally. A lot has to do with all the other teams improving faster than we have been in regards to getting quality players through the door. Hawks, Bombers, Sydney, Port etc. will do more damage earlier than we will, just my opinion... they've been gifted way too much, whereas we got SFA and largely get forgotten by the AFL.

Was just reading the story on the club site about the first game. I didn't follow the trade period. Why did they trade Grieser? Seemed to me she was the marketing face of our women's team and could also kick a goal which is not always easy in the AFLW. Anyone know?

Was just reading the story on the club site about the first game. I didn't follow the trade period. Why did they trade Grieser? Seemed to me she was the marketing face of our women's team and could also kick a goal which is not always easy in the AFLW. Anyone know?
Greiser had been struggling with form the past 2 seasons and looked to have plateaued out. We replaced her with Wardlaw, who won the equivalent of the Coleman at Brisbane last year.

Last edited:
Greiser had been struggling with form the past 2 seasons and looked to have plateaued out. We replaced her with Wardlaw, who won the quivilant of the Coleman at Brisbane last year.
Be interesting to see how Greiser goes in a different team. She has been disappointing the last 2 seasons.

Yeah Shierlaw was the one kicking goals last year. Greiser was great a few years back but didn't do a lot in 2022 across both seasons. But the forward line churn is big this year, losing Shierlaw, Greiser and Matin as well. She had a nose for goals, Matin, I'm not sure why she would be delisted except perhaps for fitness reasons as she seemed to pop up with goals a bit.

Be interesting to see how Greiser goes in a different team. She has been disappointing the last 2 seasons.
Maybe the new environment will do her good but she couldn't recapture the magic from her first season with us.

Our new combo of Wardlaw and Friend will take a few games to get going but have a lot of potential if it clicks.

North should be the biggest challenger to Melbourne this year.

Expecting us to get thrashed. Just hope we can put a few good passages together and the experienced new inclusions look decent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North should be the biggest challenger to Melbourne this year.

Expecting us to get thrashed. Just hope we can put a few good passages together and the experienced new inclusions look decent.

Already looking like a girls v women situation with North doing as they please and us just holding on for dear life.

Defense already under siege, so would be happy if we managed to even it out contest wise at this point.

Yep this is night and day. Completely different leagues here, not surprising but still deflating to watch. Better players in the team this season but still a massive gap to the better sides that doesn't seem to ever narrow :huh:

whats worrying me is that we have no discernable structure, and players arent manning the mark properly. Thats not a talent thing, thats coaching

We have structure, they're just, well smashing it to pieces really.

In the original contest we are there but as soon as it spits out North are away and we're chasing arse, we still then have the pieces in place but they are then 2-3 paces off where they need to be as North are just that far more advanced and ahead of where we are. It's nuanced things that can be worked on really, just this match is a wash.

Yeah I'm suss on the coaching, the movement forward is completely aimless. To not even test the Roos defense in a half of football is not well

Back