• Saints

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hit hard with injuries this week

McDonald - Concussed
Ott - Calf, 3 weeks
Fitzpatrick - personal leave, expected 1 week

We could see both Anderson and Jolliffe debut this week.

Hit hard with injuries this week

McDonald - Concussed
Ott - Calf, 3 weeks
Fitzpatrick - personal leave, expected 1 week

We could see both Anderson and Jolliffe debut this week.

Ah man. McDonald misses the following match as well. Tayla Harris plays to hurt, I'm surprised she didn't bust Jakobsson's ribs too. I'd like Greiser to plough through players like that, make them thik twice about standing in front of you again.

I thought Ott was very good until injured, probably the best I've seen her play. So that sucks missing three matches.

Losing two tall backs, and Van Dyk gone, going to need a reshuffle there.

OUT: McDonald, Ott & Fitzpatrick
IN: Anderson, Lucy Burke, Jolliffe

Not much left otherwise. Matthews and Nalder.
Wont even be able to fill the emergency list spots.

Yeah we'll only have two players left over, assuming no one else drops during the week.

I kinda got the vibe a couple of times that our younger draftees won't be playing until their exams have finished. Can you imagine if they got a concussion heading into an exam? That might have actually helped me back in the day.

So it might be Anderson and Matthews as the only emergencies. Not sure if Matthews has already finished year 12, maybe she could be a chance to debut then? We are short of defenders now and that's her position.

Maybe Shierlaw will be needed down back, which would be a great shame as she's in pole position to win the league goalkicking this season! I would love her to win that, great reward for hard work.

What it might look like on paper:

F - Matin - Shierlaw
HF - Stevens - Greiser - Xenos
C - Guttridge - Vesely - Burke.A
HB - Jolliffe - Friend - Priest
B - Burke.L - Jakobsson
R - McKinnon - Patrikios - White
I/C - Nalder - Stuart - Dillon - Exon - Richards
EMG - Anderson - Matthews

Dal and the girls will have to adapt quickly this week, there will be a few different defensive combos that we haven't seen before. Lucy Burke played forward with the Southern Saints after the previous AFLW season finished, and I thought I saw her training with the forwards during pre-season, but she might be needed again in defence.

At Great Barrier Reef Arena, it's a short and narrow ground (i.e. small, 155x130), but not as short as it was in round one at North Sydney (132m). That might favour the extra ruck in Nalder. I'm not sure how handy either ruck is in defence. Can't see BJ getting much rest time on the bench haha.

Another great challenge this week. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Yeah we'll only have two players left over, assuming no one else drops during the week.

I kinda got the vibe a couple of times that our younger draftees won't be playing until their exams have finished. Can you imagine if they got a concussion heading into an exam? That might have actually helped me back in the day.

So it might be Anderson and Matthews as the only emergencies. Not sure if Matthews has already finished year 12, maybe she could be a chance to debut then? We are short of defenders now and that's her position.

Maybe Shierlaw will be needed down back, which would be a great shame as she's in pole position to win the league goalkicking this season! I would love her to win that, great reward for hard work.

What it might look like on paper:

F - Matin - Shierlaw
HF - Stevens - Greiser - Xenos
C - Guttridge - Vesely - Burke.A
HB - Jolliffe - Friend - Priest
B - Burke.L - Jakobsson
R - McKinnon - Patrikios - White
I/C - Nalder - Stuart - Dillon - Exon - Richards
EMG - Anderson - Matthews

Dal and the girls will have to adapt quickly this week, there will be a few different defensive combos that we haven't seen before. Lucy Burke played forward with the Southern Saints after the previous AFLW season finished, and I thought I saw her training with the forwards during pre-season, but she might be needed again in defence.

At Great Barrier Reef Arena, it's a short and narrow ground (i.e. small, 155x130), but not as short as it was in round one at North Sydney (132m). That might favour the extra ruck in Nalder. I'm not sure how handy either ruck is in defence. Can't see BJ getting much rest time on the bench haha.

Another great challenge this week. Can't wait.
Can understand waiting until exams are over but that could be another 6-9 weeks in which case the season is almost if not fully over.
With 2 weeks of holidays in Victoria we may see them in those. Not sure if Anderson is doing her Year 12 in Vic or elsewhere though?

At Great Barrier Reef Arena, it's a short and narrow ground (i.e. small, 155x130)
<115m would be narrow, 115m-130m average. 130m-140m is as wide as it gets.

Weather expected to be humid and reach a max of 29, which could be a bit of a shock to the system and maybe open up the play a bit.

Jackobsen is such a gun. Got real Steven May vibes. Also, how good is it to see Gehrig (Greiser) and Riewoldt (Shielaw) lining up in Saints colours again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weak bloody free kick.

Yeah, but we let the ump pay that. A neutral ball becomes the Suns ball. Then the ump doesn't line them up on the mark, they don't have to kick over the mark, easy mark inside 50, poor umpiring. Then the Suns again run around the mark, ump too slow to call play on, easy goal. A hattrick of poor umpiring get the Suns their first.

Saints 1 - 0 - 6
Suns 1 - 5 - 11

Goals: Caitlin Greiser 1

Need to take advantage of the breeze in the 2nd.

Lovely pre-match video all for the Suns debutant. How much time did they spend on the two Saints debutants? About 4 seconds, total. Maybe they'll show something at half-time.

Alice Burke showing good signs this season.

Suns moving quickly at all costs. We kicked too many sky balls into the wind that quarter, ended up going backwards a few times, might work better in the 2nd qtr WITH the wind.

Back